General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road trip - roof racked bike protection Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-28 4:08 PM

Subject: Road trip - roof racked bike protection
This summer we're driving the family out to visit my parents in Denver, from Oceanside, and I'm planning on doing a sprint while in town. 2 car seats, 4 people and a weeks worth of gear = no room for the bike inside the car, so it's going to make the trek on the roof.

The only product I have found to protect a bike with aero bars on a long trip like this is the Skinz Protector http://www.amazon.com/Skinz-Protective-Gear-Aero-Protector/dp/B001C... Wondering if anyone has insight on this product's effectiveness and value for the price or knows of anything else out there for a tri bike or has any ideas how to keep the impact of bugs, etc minimal for the 1000 mile drive.

2015-01-28 8:22 PM
in reply to: #5088180

User image

Utah
Subject: RE: Road trip - roof racked bike protection
I had a roof rack and this exact cover, and it was great. However, I would caution anyone about a roof rack. While driving to Age Group Nationals this past summer, we forgot it was up there and drove over a low hanging partition and busted up the bike and destroying the rack. Luckily, the bike was fixable, but I will never own another one. Can you do a hitch mounted one? That's what we switched too.
2015-01-28 10:08 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Ouch. Thank you for the warning, I will be mindful of the extra height. Unfortunately, no hitch on our car. Considered a hatch mounted rack like the Thule Raceway Platform, but then we wouldn't be able to access the cargo space without taking the bike and rack off the back. This long of a trip with a 3 year old and a baby, we will definitely need access to all our bags of tricks at every stop.

That said, Skinz is the way to go?
2015-01-28 11:23 PM
in reply to: cmdonlon

User image

Originally posted by cmdonlon

Ouch. Thank you for the warning, I will be mindful of the extra height. Unfortunately, no hitch on our car. Considered a hatch mounted rack like the Thule Raceway Platform, but then we wouldn't be able to access the cargo space without taking the bike and rack off the back. This long of a trip with a 3 year old and a baby, we will definitely need access to all our bags of tricks at every stop.

We've traveled with young kids like that (they are older now, but we've done a lot of road tripping/camping with bikes for recreation since they've been babies) and I also recommend some sort of rack on the back instead of a roof rack. Roof racks are just too risky-- I've heard too many horror stories. It's too easy to forget about the bikes when you are distracted by kids, tired from driving, etc. We have a cheap roof storage box for some of the lighter stuff that's easy to access on the road. For the "bags of tricks" for the kids, you can probably put a lot of that on the floor in front of the baby's seat-- surely you won't need to access the hatch/trunk at every stop. For the times you do need to access it, it's not difficult to take the bikes on and off.
2015-01-29 12:06 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

DC
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

We've traveled with young kids like that (they are older now, but we've done a lot of road tripping/camping with bikes for recreation since they've been babies) and I also recommend some sort of rack on the back instead of a roof rack. Roof racks are just too risky-- I've heard too many horror stories. It's too easy to forget about the bikes when you are distracted by kids, tired from driving, etc. We have a cheap roof storage box for some of the lighter stuff that's easy to access on the road. For the "bags of tricks" for the kids, you can probably put a lot of that on the floor in front of the baby's seat-- surely you won't need to access the hatch/trunk at every stop. For the times you do need to access it, it's not difficult to take the bikes on and off.

Also have traveled w/family.

I feel far more comfy w/a roof rack because, w/bikes in the rear, a fender bender suddenly becomes an expensive nightmare.
2015-01-29 1:23 PM
in reply to: cmdonlon

User image

Put the bike in the car...put the kids on the roof.

2015-01-29 1:32 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KatieLimb I had a roof rack and this exact cover, and it was great. However, I would caution anyone about a roof rack. While driving to Age Group Nationals this past summer, we forgot it was up there and drove over a low hanging partition and busted up the bike and destroying the rack. Luckily, the bike was fixable, but I will never own another one. Can you do a hitch mounted one? That's what we switched too.

^^^ That is REALLY good advice.   I have seen a half dozen bikes destroyed like that in the three years we've been traveling to race the same events/athletes.  I have seen NONE rear ended. 

2015-01-29 1:33 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

DC
Originally posted by Jason N

Put the bike in the car...put the kids on the roof.

Hmmm, might actually be safer.

(article-2142160-1306AE92000005DC-277_634x443.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
article-2142160-1306AE92000005DC-277_634x443.jpg (86KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-29 2:46 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Porfirio

Also have traveled w/family.

I feel far more comfy w/a roof rack because, w/bikes in the rear, a fender bender suddenly becomes an expensive nightmare.

If your rear ended it would be 100% the other persons fault and covered 100% by insurance with no hassle. You drive under a 12 ft overpass(very common) and hit the bike you have at minimum the deductible to pay and probably a fight with the insurance company. I've never heard a single story about someone being rear ended with bikes on the back.

Unless you drive a truck for a living there's a good chance you will forget its up there. Way too many stories about people ripping their bike rook rack and parts of their car apart.
2015-01-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by cmdonlon Ouch. Thank you for the warning, I will be mindful of the extra height. Unfortunately, no hitch on our car. Considered a hatch mounted rack like the Thule Raceway Platform, but then we wouldn't be able to access the cargo space without taking the bike and rack off the back. This long of a trip with a 3 year old and a baby, we will definitely need access to all our bags of tricks at every stop.
Also have traveled w/family. I feel far more comfy w/a roof rack because, w/bikes in the rear, a fender bender suddenly becomes an expensive nightmare.
If your rear ended it would be 100% the other persons fault and covered 100% by insurance with no hassle. You drive under a 12 ft overpass(very common) and hit the bike you have at minimum the deductible to pay and probably a fight with the insurance company. I've never heard a single story about someone being rear ended with bikes on the back. Unless you drive a truck for a living there's a good chance you will forget its up there. Way too many stories about people ripping their bike rook rack and parts of their car apart.

Whose bike and car are so tall that they can't fit under a 12' overpass?

2015-01-29 3:04 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by cmdonlon Ouch. Thank you for the warning, I will be mindful of the extra height. Unfortunately, no hitch on our car. Considered a hatch mounted rack like the Thule Raceway Platform, but then we wouldn't be able to access the cargo space without taking the bike and rack off the back. This long of a trip with a 3 year old and a baby, we will definitely need access to all our bags of tricks at every stop.
Also have traveled w/family. I feel far more comfy w/a roof rack because, w/bikes in the rear, a fender bender suddenly becomes an expensive nightmare.
If your rear ended it would be 100% the other persons fault and covered 100% by insurance with no hassle. You drive under a 12 ft overpass(very common) and hit the bike you have at minimum the deductible to pay and probably a fight with the insurance company. I've never heard a single story about someone being rear ended with bikes on the back. Unless you drive a truck for a living there's a good chance you will forget its up there. Way too many stories about people ripping their bike rook rack and parts of their car apart.

Whose bike and car are so tall that they can't fit under a 12' overpass?

My thought exactly.  I bet it was through a parking deck or a stop at McDonalds drive thru.  We always get out and stretch when we hit drive thrus on road trips.  I have a roof rack.  When I leave my garage, I put the trash can in front so I have to get out and move it before driving in the garage.  Then I see the bike on the roof.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road trip - roof racked bike protection Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Roof mount bike rack question

Started by bscoles1
Views: 832 Posts: 2

2011-06-28 8:58 PM moondawg14

roof vs trunk bike rack

Started by madoman
Views: 6826 Posts: 23

2011-06-24 9:34 PM madoman

Transporting Bike with Zipps on Roof Rack??

Started by GODAWGS
Views: 3898 Posts: 18

2008-06-19 5:40 AM Steve-

Roof top bike racks and SUV?

Started by ydarb
Views: 5252 Posts: 10

2008-04-16 4:12 PM peto_primo

In need of a roof mount bike rack

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1573 Posts: 8

2004-03-10 10:44 AM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!