General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another bike fit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-29 10:11 AM

Subject: Yet another bike fit question
I have an appointment tomorrow to get my bike fit. It is a road bike with clip on aero bars. I used it for 5 sprints last year (only the last one had the aero bars on it). I was plenty comfortable on it in all of the races but my distances are only going to get longer so I think a fit is in order.

The bike will be mainly used for tri's although I am going to do the MS 150 on it in April.

So how does the fit work in this situation?

Are we looking for a compromise between full aero and more of a road fit?

Do fitters even want to bother with this type of setup?

Is leaning toward aero in this situation going to hurt in the long run?

I am moving up to Olympic distance this year with a goal of a 1/2 ironman in the fall. Maybe a full next year if any of that helps.

2015-01-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: houtexan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Yet another bike fit question
In my experience, you simply won't be able to get as aggressive of a fit on a road bike that you can on a triathlon bike, the geometry is a little different, you'll get a more relaxed fit, which for longer distance triathlon is fine.

That being said, I've typically seen either getting as close to a tri fit as possible, or finding something that is more comfortably inbetween, and fitters around here don't mind, just gotta let them know what your priorities and goals are.
2015-01-29 10:56 AM

User image

I'm actually in Houston, who are you going to? The person fitting you should take into account everything you've mentioned. In my opinion you'll want to find a position you are most comfortable with, dont try to go "full aero"... the more you train the more your body will get acclimated to that position and then you will want to get re-fit or maybe even change bikes. I guess bottomline is to get a good position that you can maintain for long periods of time since you will already be going further than you are used to. Hope this helps.
2015-01-29 11:13 AM
in reply to: lyttleviet

I am using Tad Hughes. Seems reputable and only a few miles from my house.

I know part of the process is an interview. I think for now I am going to try to keep it a little relaxed (I am not in great shape or all that flexible) and maybe move on to a real tri bike in the future if I keep at it.
2015-01-30 1:19 PM

User image

Richland, Washington

You could also get something like the redshift aero kit. 

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/07/redshift-aero-system-review.html 

2015-01-30 2:16 PM
in reply to: Gregwarro

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Gregwarro

You could also get something like the redshift aero kit. 

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/07/redshift-aero-system-review.html 

+1 on this. I've got enough invested in my new road bike that I can't justify the funds for a tri bike for only 3-5 races a year. I've emailed back and forth with redshift and they were exceptional with info and even gave me some ideas for trying out the basic idea on my Trek Madone as they are currently working on a setmast that will be compatible by later this year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another bike fit question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Bike, Bike fit Questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 1077 Posts: 8

2011-10-26 11:14 PM gzh6464

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3309 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 1629 Posts: 13

2011-07-13 10:12 AM audiojan

Yet more newbie bike questions

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 697 Posts: 4

2010-06-11 6:33 PM ingleshteechur

Yet another bike question(s)

Started by jayhoe
Views: 624 Posts: 7

2005-03-05 3:02 PM B-One
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems