General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder stretches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-31 3:56 PM

User image

Subject: Shoulder stretches
I have started in at masters swimming and I'm being told that I need more flexibility in my upper chest and shoulders. Doesn't anyone know any good stretches?

2015-01-31 6:55 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Shoulder stretches
I warm my shoulders up with some arm circles and swings, then use a lacrosse ball up against a wall to roll my delts, pecs and scaps. Same idea as a foam roller but the lax ball gets into the smaller areas.

You can also stand in a door opening with one shoulder against the door frame and rotate away from that shoulder to stretch your pec.

Lastly - and this one can hurt - lay flat on your back with your arms by your side and put a lax ball under your back, right along the outside edge of your scap. Slowly raise your hand on that side from your waist as far as you can overhead, and bring it back to the opposite hip. You might have to hunt around until you find a knot or sore spot, but once you do, raise and lower your arm to grind on that spot. The ball should stay right along the edge of your scap.

You can probably find videos of all this stuff on youtube. Good luck!
2015-01-31 11:02 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by b2run

I have started in at masters swimming and I'm being told that I need more flexibility in my upper chest and shoulders. Doesn't anyone know any good stretches?

I'd summarize but there is just too much here. Check out the posts by David Shen

http://totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7612
2015-02-01 10:20 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

In addition to stretches (which there are many) that link is pretty good; you may want to do rotator cuff resistance band work few times a week (lightly to moderate with as full a range of motion as you can do) - That capsule is stiff and imbalanced in most of all us in some way or another (yes, the degrees vary people - don't jump on me lol)
2015-02-01 12:06 PM
in reply to: dgconner154

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by dgconner154

I warm my shoulders up with some arm circles and swings, then use a lacrosse ball up against a wall to roll my delts, pecs and scaps. Same idea as a foam roller but the lax ball gets into the smaller areas.

You can also stand in a door opening with one shoulder against the door frame and rotate away from that shoulder to stretch your pec.

Lastly - and this one can hurt - lay flat on your back with your arms by your side and put a lax ball under your back, right along the outside edge of your scap. Slowly raise your hand on that side from your waist as far as you can overhead, and bring it back to the opposite hip. You might have to hunt around until you find a knot or sore spot, but once you do, raise and lower your arm to grind on that spot. The ball should stay right along the edge of your scap.

You can probably find videos of all this stuff on youtube. Good luck!

This summarizes a lot of what David Shen wrote! I don't go anywhere without my lacross ball
2015-02-01 12:07 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Originally posted by TJHammer

In addition to stretches (which there are many) that link is pretty good; you may want to do rotator cuff resistance band work few times a week (lightly to moderate with as full a range of motion as you can do) - That capsule is stiff and imbalanced in most of all us in some way or another (yes, the degrees vary people - don't jump on me lol)

Can you add a few more details on what the rotator cuff resistance band work out looks like?

2015-02-01 8:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/shoulder-pain/rota...

This is a good page with some images and video, including some abduction deltoid work. All can be done with a resistance band so you can vary tension. On that page she demonstrates medial rotation for the rotator cuff while lying down on side. I actually prefer doing medial rotation standing with the band anchored on something behind me at head height. If you don't have rotator cuff issues or such, try it that way. Less stability makes it more challenging

Edited by TJHammer 2015-02-01 8:38 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder stretches Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To stretch, or not to stretch...

Started by Triguy67
Views: 920 Posts: 3

2008-02-29 12:01 PM newleaf

Stretching out neck on wetsuit

Started by Cuda
Views: 1455 Posts: 2

2004-07-13 12:01 PM soupaman

stretching question

Started by tplauche
Views: 853 Posts: 8

2004-06-16 8:24 AM KPA

Stretching

Started by evrunning
Views: 765 Posts: 5

2004-05-12 8:32 AM tractoral

Stretching

Started by rjtodd
Views: 1691 Posts: 16

2004-03-06 10:00 AM LJSChicago
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : February 6, 2012
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery
date : July 23, 2009
All of my road rash has healed, but my right shoulder is still in a lot of pain. I have started swimming, but only really, really light workouts. Do you have any recommendations on stretches?

date : February 2, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Here is a very focused and specific triathlon stretching program that you can employ during or after your swim, bike and run workouts.
date : October 15, 2008
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.

date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.
date : May 7, 2008
comments : 4
Studies looking at stretching have had mixed results. It is a difficult to examine because stretching is ingrained in the psyche of so many athletes that they are unwilling to participate as controls.

date : April 17, 2005
Often I also see an imbalance in the front muscles of the shoulder, such as the pectoralis, and the back muscles, such as the rotator cuff and shoulder blade stabilizers. I would recommend: