General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timing my Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-31 8:15 PM

St. Louis, Missouri
Subject: Timing my Training Plan
Being completely new to sprint triathlons, and a little anxious to get started, I need to know how many days (if any) should I plan to rest before race day? I'm aiming for a sprint race on June 27. If I start Monday, Feb 2, this will leave almost a full week before the race. Is this too long? What to do doing these days? Thanks for your input!

2015-01-31 8:30 PM
in reply to: YogaGal

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Timing my Training Plan
Do the first week twice or the week before the taper twice.

2015-02-01 1:27 AM
in reply to: YogaGal

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I wouldn't worry about it. I pretty much always leave a week of "slack time" in there just in case I miss a week's worth of workouts. It's bound to happen somewhere in a 3-6 month period--minor illnesses or injuries, unexpected work or family commitments or travel, etc. Sh... happens.

As for resting before race day, there's no law that says you need to rest completely for a certain number of days. Most people follow a kind of "taper" schedule where they ease off the volume in the last few weeks (to recover from hard training), but still do some shorter workouts that are a mix of recovery and race-pace efforts. The goal is to be race-ready without wearing yourself out. Taking several days completely off tends to leave one feeling kind of "flat" and doesn't tend to result in an ideal race.. For most of my races, I've taken a day off after my last long/hard ride or run (about a week before the race), done light training with a few race-pace pickups in each sport for the rest of the week, and often taken the day two days before the race off (especially since I usually travel to my races--this is generally a travel day). The day before I usually do a light effort in all three sports, maybe 15-20 minutes each--an easy 2-mile jog with some strides, ride my bike a few km. to make sure everything's working, get in the water and swim a km. or so with a few faster 25's. For a first-timer in a sprint, this might be even shorter.....the goal is just to make sure all systems are go!
2015-02-01 5:44 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

St. Louis, Missouri
Thank you for the good advice. Good to know it's ok to be a little flexible.
2015-02-01 5:44 PM
in reply to: Nick B

St. Louis, Missouri
Thanks!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timing my Training Plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Time Training/racing vs Planning, chatting, and BTing about training/racing

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1276 Posts: 10

2012-04-12 11:33 AM NewClydesdale

training plan timing???

Started by ouradventure
Views: 885 Posts: 5

2008-10-27 2:13 AM supa-powa

Timing my training plan

Started by Invigilator
Views: 862 Posts: 5

2008-04-19 6:14 PM Invigilator

Time based training plans, total or actual logged?

Started by DRM
Views: 573 Posts: 3

2006-12-04 3:49 PM jldicarlo

NEW Online Training Plan Support - RAFFLE TIME!!!

Started by Ron
Views: 1641 Posts: 17

2005-05-17 1:38 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.