General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don Fink Competitive Plan/Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-05 3:42 PM

User image

Subject: Don Fink Competitive Plan/Advice
Hi all

I am preparing to do IM Texas this May, 99 days from the date of this posting, and I have been diligently following Don Fink's competitive plan since last fall (haven't missed a workout). I am right in the middle of the build phase, and while I have liked the plan so far, I get the sneaking feeling that it somehow isn't enough. I have read many posts on this forum stating that the plan got them to the start prepared, and I 'want' to "trust my training", but...

I know that it's normal to always question and think you should be working harder--yes, rest is important. I have over-trained in the past, so I have tried to tell myself that I don't need to be running 70 miles a week like when I was training for just marathons. But at the same time, because I have trained for marathons, typically at this point I would be doing consistent 15-20 milers. Nowhere near that on the Fink plan; although I know they are coming in the Peak sessions.

So my question--if you have used this plan, was there anything after race day you felt should have been emphasized more in the training plan (realizing that we all have strengths and weaknesses), or should I just stop over-thinking this, stick with the plan, and trust it? At 99 days, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm doing this thing right. Thanks!

2015-02-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: Wog

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: RE: Don Fink Competitive Plan/Advice
Commenting so I can reference in the future =) I'll be starting this plan in about a month for IMLOU!
2015-02-05 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
I too am racing TX in May. I raced IMTX 2 years ago in the brutal heat and used FInks competitive plan, probably just as diligently as you. I was fully trained and felt perfect going into race day. Unfortuanetely, my goals were sapped by the heat as many others experienced the same dream crusher, ha ha.

I used Finks competitive plan last year for IMCDA and cut back on the first 10 weeks and did by own base build and then followed his build and peak phases (last 20 weeks). I missed a few workouts here and there, but still felt prepared going in. Had a great race.

Now for the third IM coming up in May I've elected to use FInks plan again, however, I have modified some of it due to personal stuff that has come along. In his swim plans, I cover the yardage prescribed, but have knocked out some of the drill sessions and added regular swim sets as I feel the drills take just too much time to do. I did this last year as well. I have a very weird work schedule and my ride is done during the weekday and sometimes my long run is the same. So basically this go around I have already swapped days in some of the weeks. In fact, I've already missed a few workouts and quite frankly, it is not a big deal.

Finally, never have I thought with his plans was I not doing enough. Just be consistent and if you miss a day or two here or there under his plan, I believe you will be alright.

Tom
2015-02-06 5:12 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by Wog

Hi all

I am preparing to do IM Texas this May, 99 days from the date of this posting, and I have been diligently following Don Fink's competitive plan since last fall (haven't missed a workout). I am right in the middle of the build phase, and while I have liked the plan so far, I get the sneaking feeling that it somehow isn't enough. I have read many posts on this forum stating that the plan got them to the start prepared, and I 'want' to "trust my training", but...

I know that it's normal to always question and think you should be working harder--yes, rest is important. I have over-trained in the past, so I have tried to tell myself that I don't need to be running 70 miles a week like when I was training for just marathons. But at the same time, because I have trained for marathons, typically at this point I would be doing consistent 15-20 milers. Nowhere near that on the Fink plan; although I know they are coming in the Peak sessions.

So my question--if you have used this plan, was there anything after race day you felt should have been emphasized more in the training plan (realizing that we all have strengths and weaknesses), or should I just stop over-thinking this, stick with the plan, and trust it? At 99 days, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm doing this thing right. Thanks!

Yeah you'll be fine! Follow the plan and you'll be fine (unless like tallytom said something unusual comes along and messes with your race day execution)
2015-02-06 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I've used the Don Fink Comp plan a few times. I'm not as diligent as you with respect to hitting every work out....I'd miss something or other almost every week. To compensate, I usually made the weekend long run & long ride a little longer than specified. Seems to me that a big part of IM training is time.....how much you have available and how you distribute them work between the disciplines.

From my perspective, the DF plan is pretty balanced. If you feel you have a major weakness in one area, you may want to up the ante in that discipline and add some additional work into the plan.

Bottom line is that thousands of people have followed the Fink plan and had success. If you put in the work, you'll be prepared. Your race results will depend on both your preparation and race day strategy / execution. IM-TX is not a hard course, but if its hot and humid on race day you have to be able to adapt.
2015-02-06 9:12 PM

User image

Thanks all...I think I just needed to hear that. 100 day self-doubt kicking in. Appreciate the thoughts...

2015-02-07 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I was in the same boat last year. I used the Fink Comp plan for IMMT and I missed a few workouts here and there but ultimately, I arrived at the finish line injury free and mentally prepared to take on the day. I finished and felt great afterwards.

Trust the plan. It is normal to get these feelings but Finks plan is well balanced and he has a long track record of success. When I do another IM in the future, I will use his plan again.

One thing I did was just go to a Masters Swim group instead of using his swim workouts. I planed a Century ride to get to that 100 mile mark on the bike and wound up doing a Full Aqua Bike as a tune up instead of a 70.3

Keep following the plan and you will be surprised at how well you do in May. Good luck
2015-02-07 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I used a modification of the plan for my only IM to date and it went great. I didn't do any of the zone 4 work... some intensity in the hills on the bike, but no intervals. I also lengthened a midweek ride and built that up to 2.5 or 3 hours and would try to do some ME/zone 3 work there. Surprised myself with an 11:07 on race day. 

So, yeah, trust the plan. And at 99 days out, you're just about to get into the hard stuff. Consistency is key and it sounds like you're nailing that. Keep at it.

2015-02-10 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
Trust the plan. I too started the plan coming from a running background and assumed it wasn't enough running. I followed the plan to a T (I think I missed only one workout the entire time) and got 11:01 at my first Ironman ever in Tremblant. I surprised myself with a 3:28 marathon, so the running was definitely enough. Since then, I've been coached, and even now I don't tend to run much over 2.5 hours ever. Contrary to what you may think, the key to a strong Ironman marathon is being strong on the bike, not necessarily killing it on the run training.
2015-02-11 4:20 PM
in reply to: elrasc06

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
You can always tweak it next time but you'll be fine if you just follow the plan. I used it by the book the first time and did fine. Enjoy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don Fink Competitive Plan/Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Proper way to adjust Don Fink training plan...

Started by tuckert
Views: 2964 Posts: 4

2011-10-09 8:41 AM tuckert

Adapting Don Fink's Be Iron Fit IM plan to HIM

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 4168 Posts: 7

2011-08-05 3:18 PM Oldteen

Training Plan Help (Don Fink Competitive Program)

Started by Mike In Seattle
Views: 4549 Posts: 8

2010-07-23 7:36 PM rottieguy

Anyone using Don Fink's IM plan?

Started by CourtneyM
Views: 12617 Posts: 14

2009-04-25 12:44 AM toddg

Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plan Question

Started by mattb1
Views: 2389 Posts: 3

2009-02-15 11:07 PM VinemanCalifornia
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
date : January 8, 2010
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.

date : October 9, 2009
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.