General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training at home Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-05 11:48 PM

User image

Subject: Strength training at home
Hey all! I know this kind of thread has been made before, but I am hoping by making a new one I can try get some specific bits of advice instead of sticking bits and pieces together!

I started going to the gym late last year, after having started triathlon at the start of 2014. I initially followed the workouts created for me by the staff, before moving on to this workout here. http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/mark-allen-s-12-best-stren...

I have been doing that consistently two times per week for about 3 months and I have seen some improvement and feel stronger. However, I have a dilemma, and basically, it has come down to financial reasoning! The health center I go to has just started up a Masters swim program, something I am very keen to attend. I went to my first session last night, and it was the hardest but most fulfilling swim I have done so far, and the coach said it was more of a technique session compared to the other one, which was more sprints etc.

At the moment I pay (this is in AUD, mind you) $82 a month for all areas access, pool, gym, saunas, classes etc. All I WAS using was swimming 2-3 times per week, and gym twice. Now, the masters is an additional $75 per month for both classes each week. I am figuring those two classes will be 2 of my 3 swims, and as I cannot yet combine the masters program in to the all areas membership, you can see it's quite expensive.

On the other hand, I am really finding it relieving to start to declutter my life as I try to head toward a minimalistic approach to possessions and the spending of money. I own a TRX trainer from a few years ago that I used to do, and I have been trying to work in some home yoga stuff.

My question is, with a TRX and minimal investment, is it possible to get a good strength training workout in? I have had a search around and found lots of bodyweight work, but as I am so new to this, I am not sure what stuff is good, and what isn't!

I apologise for the huge post, but am really hoping to get some good advice and direction!

Thanks

2015-02-06 5:24 AM
in reply to: engima

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Strength training at home
I'm not sure what a TRX is but you can get a good workout at home without going to the gym. All your relly need is pullup bar and that is not required but for $20 it is a good investment, a set of dumbbells and a good exercise band, oh yea an exercise ball would be nice too. The dumbbells can be used for chest, lats/back, arms. The band is good if you choose not to get the dumbbells. Walking lunges, step ups, squats etc are all good for your legs but you probably get enough work for them w/ your SBR.

I could go on forever but if you want more info, PM me.
2015-02-07 5:09 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Thanks so much for your reply, first of all

This is the TRX https://www.trxtraining.com/products/trx-home

Basically it's a suspension trainer, my cousin recommended me a few years ago and I was using it consistently if infrequently until I decided to hit the gym.

I will send you a PM to pick your brain some more, thanks!
2015-02-11 7:47 PM
in reply to: engima

Expert
Can you join the Masters Swim without being a member of the gym? At my gym you have to be a member before you can also join the Masters Swim (for an additional fee).

As for the TRX, I'm sure if that's all you have and you work out with in regularly it will provide some benefit, as body-weight training is effective in maintaining tone and flexibility. Most likely won't be as much as full resistance training at the gym, but it's better than nothing. A lot of triathletes don't do any weight training, but many that do follow the high reps/low weight routines, similar to what is probably the approach with the TRX.

2015-02-13 1:46 AM
in reply to: vonschnapps

User image

Originally posted by vonschnapps

Can you join the Masters Swim without being a member of the gym? At my gym you have to be a member before you can also join the Masters Swim (for an additional fee).

As for the TRX, I'm sure if that's all you have and you work out with in regularly it will provide some benefit, as body-weight training is effective in maintaining tone and flexibility. Most likely won't be as much as full resistance training at the gym, but it's better than nothing. A lot of triathletes don't do any weight training, but many that do follow the high reps/low weight routines, similar to what is probably the approach with the TRX.

I THINK I can join without being a member, I am just debating at the moment what I do. I am thinking I might skip the masters for now, because I have a feeling it will be incorporated in one of the memberships soon.

Thanks, I am going to set the TRX up in a better spot (new house has some beams, instead of just door ways) and look in to some other exercises to do on it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength training at home Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strength Training routine from Tri Training Bible.

Started by Divemedic
Views: 2188 Posts: 1

2013-06-16 8:26 PM Divemedic

How to match strength & core training into endurance training

Started by Lara C
Views: 2127 Posts: 5

2010-04-17 7:35 AM Taffle

couch to sprint training plan strength training question....

Started by jerryknyc
Views: 1733 Posts: 3

2010-04-03 8:03 AM jerryknyc

BT Training Plans with strength training

Started by tabbs
Views: 1863 Posts: 2

2009-06-24 12:08 PM jss8422

When to strength train during training

Started by jennitris
Views: 3322 Posts: 8

2013-09-28 1:19 PM filipanutrition
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.