General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best saddle for women - what do you have? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-09 6:17 PM

User image

Subject: Best saddle for women - what do you have?
For ladies eyes - althought dudes with helpful comments are welcome

I bought my Giant Defy Advanced about a two years ago. It's a men's frame. I was fitted at the LBS and my husband helped me adjust the bars and seat a bit more as I got more used to riding it. I always complained that the saddle was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever felt, and he didn't really get it but swapped my seat for his to see if it made a difference. I recently had a lightbulb moment, realizing that since I bought a men's bike and have been using the seat from DH's men's bike, I've never used a women's saddle (derp). So, before I accidentally do myself a lot of damage, I need suggestions for women's saddles. I'm still pretty much a cycling newb and this is something DH can't really help me with. Any other tricks to make it less painful/favorites shorts suggestions/articles also welcome. Thanks in advance!

2015-02-09 7:31 PM
in reply to: anneozzy

User image

Subject: RE: Best saddle for women - what do you have?
I have one like this:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles/Womens-Endurance/Butterfly-Cro...

It might not be that exact model but it's similar. I really like it. I haven't gone more than about 2 hours so far, but I don't have any issues when on it for longer times. I definitely notice a HUGE difference when I go back to the gym and use the spin bikes.
2015-02-10 5:11 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Don't know if it's a "women's saddle" but I'm a woman! When I bought my P2 secondhand, it came with a "men's" saddle. I tried it for two weeks but it was really uncomfortable in aero. Ended up getting an Adamo Typhoon. There's also the word "ism" on it--not sure if that's the style, model name, or what. I literally must have test-ridden every saddle in the shop before coming to the conclusion it was most comfortable. For some reason all the other saddles felt too wide and were chafing the side of my legs, even in tri shorts, when in aero. My hips are pretty narrow and I have fairly skinny upper legs by women cyclist standards, so maybe that has something to do with it--not sure. At any rate, I've ridden it for several 2:30 rides on the trainer in both bike and tri shorts, with no issues and no need for massive Body Glide, which is success in my book!

I think comfort is really an interplay between one's body type, bike fit, saddle, and shorts, so it's hard to recommend something that's going to work for all people, or all women. I may well be riding a "men's" saddle, for all I know (I have a "men's" bike), but it works for me.
2015-02-10 6:01 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Make sure you have a solid bike fit before swapping saddle; unless you have that, you will end up spending loads of money constantly swapping saddles, but never find a comfortable one.

Also, how you ride will influence the saddle choice. Some people move around a lot in the saddle while riding, where a saddle that has a larger surface (not necessarily widens, but rather longer) is desirable. Some sit quite forward when you push the limit, where a saddle with slightly more padding in the nose may be desirable. And some simply stay in the same spot, where it's critical that that one spot fits you perfectly. This, combined with anatomy, makes the saddle the most personal of all things on the bike.

Good places to start, John Cobb, Adamo, Bontrager Hilo RXL SpeedDial, Terry.
2015-02-10 8:16 AM

User image

Thanks all. Other than Googling, I don't even know what brands to start looking at, so I appreciate the advice. At some point I'll go back to LBS and sit on a few different ones to get an idea of what works best, especially since I think I am a move-around-during-the-ride person. Or maybe I would stay put with the right seat, who knows, lol.
2015-02-10 1:13 PM

User image

Master

I've done up to 4hr rides (so far) on my Cobb Plus without issue. I do find it most comfortable with lightly padded (like tri) shorts.  One thing you can play with in the short term (if you haven't already) is the nose position of your seat now...is it pointed up/down? Also the type of bike shorts you're using will make a difference...more padding doesn't always mean more comfort.

2015-02-10 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
ism
2015-02-11 8:33 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I have different saddles on different bikes, but on my road bikes I have a damselfly (Terry), a Ruby 143 (Specialized), and a Jett 143 (Specialized). I haze s Specialized TriTip on my tri bike.

Specialized has always fit me well, so I tend to stick with that when shopping.

You may try ebay--that's what I do. Used/clearance saddles, so I don't spend very much and can afford to experiment. Then I just resell the ones I don't use.

2015-02-12 2:16 PM

, Connecticut
My wife switched recently from her Specialized stock saddle to a Fizik Women's Vesta Saddle, which has a small pressure relief channel, and she has been very happy with it. She tried the Prologo Kappa Evo Dea T2.0 as well and returned it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best saddle for women - what do you have? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good saddle for women?

Started by JC_Mom_of_3
Views: 1537 Posts: 9

2012-04-10 11:35 AM HonoluluAngel

looking for a good saddle for women.

Started by CClauson
Views: 617 Posts: 4

2012-02-14 10:27 AM japarker24

Which of these bike components are the best having trouble comparing them :(

Started by colar45
Views: 1259 Posts: 6

2010-10-20 2:40 PM colar45

Saddle Recommendations for Women

Started by xbumblebeex
Views: 685 Posts: 6

2005-08-31 11:28 AM hpadkisson

Terry Butterfly Saddle for Women?

Started by hpadkisson
Views: 1324 Posts: 7

2005-07-22 2:43 PM hpadkisson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
comments : 0
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.