General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More on swim caps... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-16 3:34 PM

Subject: More on swim caps...
Before I get too detailed with my next purchase dilemma....

Are the swim caps they hand out at the events latex? I've never seen an allergy disclaimer, but could easily have ignored that as it's not an issue for me.

Are they "single use"? More accurately, if they're latex, would a retail one for $5 or $6 hold up better than the "freebie"?

My freebie ones start to get squidgy/sticky and the material starts to get ripply around the edges....either losing or gaining elasticity. Hard to tell. Either way, they're not as comfortable and don't "perform" as well. The only one that doesn't is the one I got at Hy-Vee in Des Moines last year, but it's too small and rides up my head after a bit.

If they're latex, maybe I'll take a swing at silicone. But if they're essentially "single use", then I'll save a couple bucks. I know it's not much, but that's why you guys are here, right? Haven't been steered wrong yet after weighing the wisdom of the crowd here....either in direct response to a question or by digging back to see others who've had the same problems. Didn't see an answer on this one. Plenty of info on websites, but no tactile experience on my end.

FTR: I'm most often at an indoor pool, and just want to keep chlorine outta my hair with a cap that's not terribly uncomfortable.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-02-16 3:35 PM

2015-02-16 3:39 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Subject: RE: More on swim caps...
At every race that I have done, they are latex. I am allergic to latex, so I bought an assortment of colors of silicone swim caps. When I pick up my packet, I say that I am allergic and ask if I can wear my own. I have never had a problem with that, but I did see that a race this summer that I have signed up for specifies that we have to wear the official race caps. I will ask anyway, but if I have to, I will wear the silicone cap under it and just hope that the hives aren't too bad.

I do get mad, though, when people steal my swim caps. In T1, I leave it with my towel and wetsuit, but I have had them disappear, probably taken by someone who wonders why I got a nicer swim cap than they did (because I paid for it and brought it from home). I think that I will start writing my name in black sharpie on them.
2015-02-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

Thanks!

This is perfect info. It affirms my guess that the latex cheapies are what they hand out.

While I don't have the latex reaction issue, it's more than enough info to spend a few extra bucks on silicone.
Then again, maybe they're just such inferior cheapies and retail latex one would be better than a freebie and I might spend $5 more than I need to.

No....I don't overthink anything. Ever.

I even debated whether I should add that last sentence or not, since you all probably know that because this activity seems to attract a fair number of overthinkers.

Or maybe it's just people who realize they need to be prepared over a long distance of multidiscipline activity.

But, that is a thought exercise for another time. Or later tonight. I haven't decided when.
2015-02-16 4:34 PM

User image

Austin, Texas

Buy a silicone cap, they are so much nicer and will last a lot longer.  They are thicker and some say a little warmer, but they also don't pull your hair as bad.  I buy the cheap Sporti brand silicone caps from swimoutlet and they last me over a year.  You can also make the latex caps last longer by sprinkling them with some talcum powder. 

2015-02-16 5:26 PM
in reply to: #5093753

User image

Regular
I use race caps as well. I generally get several months use out of them. Have a lot still and am steadily getting new ones. Not always the most stylish but the price is right!
2015-02-16 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Usually latex but sometimes silicone at some series races and always for ITU events. You can use them for training afterwards. If you have to wear silicone bring your own.

2015-02-16 7:57 PM
in reply to: #5093774

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've always found storage impacts caps more than use. When I used to swim a lot (2x most days) I had cheapies a that lasted over a year. I find they gum up quicker through non use than use. That said I swim with a silicone one now and they hold up a lot better.
2015-02-16 8:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

We have 3 or 4 sacks full of swim caps......the kids get one at every meet, every triathlon, a half dozen or so from their swim club each year, blah,blah,blah, and they like to save them.  My wife sticks them into one of the bags when they are dry and shakes the bag up....the bags have a tablespoon or so of corn starch in them.  The caps don't get gummy or otherwise show any signs of not being able to use them if needed.  They keep the latex and the silicon caps separated, but I don't know if that's necessary.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-02-16 8:24 PM
2015-02-16 9:29 PM

User image

Pro

Nice.  Some great tips on how to extend the life of $2.00 swim caps.  debating if it's worth the effort.    The cheapie ones seem to last me 1/2 a season if I don't care for them at all.

The silicon ones are certainly more comfortable, but funny thing is, the latex ones stay down over my ears, whereas the silicon ones tend to ride up on me.  

oh well.  such is life.  My $0.02 on swim caps.  

2015-02-16 9:39 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

Originally posted by morey000

Nice.  Some great tips on how to extend the life of $2.00 swim caps.  debating if it's worth the effort.    The cheapie ones seem to last me 1/2 a season if I don't care for them at all.

The silicon ones are certainly more comfortable, but funny thing is, the latex ones stay down over my ears, whereas the silicon ones tend to ride up on me.  

oh well.  such is life.  My $0.02 on swim caps.  

LOL......I don't think they are trying to "extend the life"....the caps are more like the finisher medals given in AG races, since there is no such thing in most of the events they do.  They also have some that are signed by Olympic and pro athletes that they've collected.  The point is, they don't have to get gummy when not used. 

2015-02-17 2:52 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
No matter what sort you use, rinsing them under the shower when you have finished your swim will extend the life of them to some degree. As it will with your goggles and your suit.

The silicone one that I currently have is 3 years old. I have never done anything with it other than rinse it, dry it and chuck it in my swim bag.

2015-02-17 4:32 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Elite
Triathlons they seem to be latex here, but OWS races are nicer silicon ones. The latex ones smell like gasoline! I keep em all, and can never find the one I want (neon pink so i don't get left for shark bait)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More on swim caps... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bubble Swim Caps An Open Water Swim Option

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1911 Posts: 9

2013-03-08 10:04 AM JZig

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2316 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

Swim goggles & swim caps

Started by globetruck
Views: 2306 Posts: 10

2010-04-16 9:52 PM SDCali

Cold water swim - insulated swim cap?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 6231 Posts: 14

2009-06-03 7:58 PM Catwoman

Race Cap over Swim Cap

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1395 Posts: 12

2007-01-17 3:27 PM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!