General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycleops virtual with only speed/cadence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-18 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: Cycleops virtual with only speed/cadence
I was wondering how much I would get out of this type of program if my only way to transmit data is through my speed/cadence sensor?

I wouldn't have the ability to adjust resistance etc.

Is there still a way it calculates power etc base on my trainer model or anything?

Obviously it would be able to adjust my resistance etc, I would only be able to do that by pedaling harder or going into a harder gear, but I'm just trying to get and idea what it would be like, and if it would be beneficial to me.

I imagine sometime in the future I will get a power meter of some type to sync with it but still that wouldn't allow me to adjust resistance.

What happens when you get to a hill on the course, does it just adjust your speed down to what you would be going given you watts/kg ratio compared to the incline etc?

Am I missing anything here?

I'm not the most technological advanced person so I haven't really kept up with what is available.

Any opinions on what software / program would work best for me?

I have a fluid trainer, ANT+ speed cadence, and could use either a laptop or ipad and also have a tv in my trainer room.

2015-02-18 12:33 PM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Cycleops virtual with only speed/cadence
It looks like cyclops virtual training is pretty darn similar to trainer road. That has a lot of users on here who absolutely love it.
As long as your specific trainer model is supported, then your speed and cadence modules are all you need you tell the computer your 'virtual power'...without a power meter. It will be close enough to your actual power. What is important is that you always set up the trainer the same way...same tire pressure, same pressure of the roller on the tire, keep the drivetrain clean.
Basically, as you follow a workout, it'll give you feedback that you need to increase the power to match the target. You will achieve this simply by pedaling harder and shifting to keep your cadence comfortable.

When you get to a "hill", it will take your virtual power number (derived from your wheelspeed) and discount that to get your virtual speed on the screen. Ex: You are cruising at 15mph wheel speed which it translates to 200W on a flat road and then displays 20mph virtual speed. Once you approach a virtual hill, that same 200W will reduce your virtual speed to 10mph. If you want to maintain speed on that "hill", you'd need to put out more power (more wheel speed).
2015-02-18 6:27 PM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I'm not familiar with Cycleops Virtual, but I have been using trainer road for the last couple of months. I use my Garmin Speed Cadence Sensor and Ant+stick for workouts. I've really "enjoyed" the workouts and have seen a benefit for sure. The Virtual Power has been useful (more details on my experience here: http://trited.blogspot.com/2015/02/trainer-road-review-update.html). Trainer Road has had excellent customer service and their web site does a good job of walking you through what you need. If Cycle Ops is at all like that, I think you'll find it's worth it.
2015-02-19 6:52 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

Master
Memphis, TN
Another endorsement for Trainerroad.com

so many workouts to choose from including training plans included in the $10 per month fee.

Well worth the money.

The only thing that is hard is choosing what to watch on Netflix while on the trainer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycleops virtual with only speed/cadence Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Powertap virtual cadence (and speed)?

Started by timf79
Views: 7270 Posts: 20

2012-12-14 8:44 PM RChung

Buying speed: The Virtual Pull-Buoy

Started by Bill
Views: 1268 Posts: 7

2006-11-13 6:49 PM run4yrlif

Newby Bike Training - Cadence vs. speed

Started by tnickerson
Views: 763 Posts: 4

2006-01-11 7:28 AM Daremo

Cycling cadence and speed?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1375 Posts: 18

2005-05-10 12:50 PM CptnJackSparrow

Cadence speed

Started by jayhoe
Views: 1085 Posts: 8

2004-12-16 7:51 PM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : February 22, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.