United States
Triple Crown of Running
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 02m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Concussion on Sunday a week before run when walked upstairs hungry in the nigh. Remember resting my head on Counter, then seemed like I was asleep for a long time when I woke up pretty disoriented on Parquet floor of Kitchen. Wife says I repeated the story to her many times in 20mins before going to sleep, like bu repeating the story I was trying to figure out what had happened.
Saw Doc and Started Giardia treatment Tuesday, which resolved by Thursday from double-dosing the Meds.
So pretty weak, and got to top slowest ALL YEAR.
Leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Event warmup:

Hit Hydro at exact pace I wanted, and was dead last for a bit just before Cog Railway. Did not expect that, but it was fun passing folks all day.
Run
  • 9h 02m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 20m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Twisted Ankle just above A-Frame so could no longer stay with group I was with.
Ankle did not effect me for long, thankfully, but losing contact with folks I had determined were good steady but controlled downhill runners that I could stay just a way behind was a blow
Really in no mans land after that, but used watch and did Math to try to push some, and mostly just keep head in the game.
This is a LONG run, challenging the whole way.
What would you do differently?:

Lots of room for improvement, not the lest of which is just being healthy in the week(s) leading up to the run.
At this point, would say I need longer, easier training. Back to basics Aerobic Capacity stuff.
For a first outing, at this level of challenge with the incredible downhill, and 'week-of-run' complications, I did very well, controlled pace, pushed, worked nutrition & Hydration Up and Down. Overall good run, but room for improvement is there.
Post race
Warm down:

A little Hydration and Nutrition, ease to park, walk to car as spotty rain came.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Are you kidding? Read my Dashboard. I had no business doing this run, and now I'll probably do it again, maybe even double.

Event comments:

Oh if you want 'America's Ultimate Challenge' here it is. No other Marathon in the World has a 10 Hour Cutoff... this one does. Come get some!

Last updated: 2014-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
09:02:57 | 26.2 miles | 20m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I just want to note here that I passed a guy downhill, in the W's near the bottom of the course, who mentioned he did not know it was a Trail race. What? Now it's a complicated Entry process requiring Qualifying links be set etc. Even if you're a Marathon maniac, the Website is chock full of "America's Ultimate Challenge', stories of Snow and Altitude sickness. Let alone the course description. Guy said he couldn't wait to "Get to the Pavement". Yeah, all 3/4s of a mile of it! Wow! You have to have ignored everything about this run to not know it's a Trail Race.
Course: On Barr Trail, right? Up AND Down America's Mountain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-02-19 4:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Subject: Pikes Peak Marathon

2015-02-19 5:33 AM
in reply to: #5094412

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Marathon
Wow! Congratulations :-)

This race has always amazed me and even more the runners who do it!

Just awesome....happy recovery!

Alicia
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by tlancer23
Views: 1097 Posts: 1

2013-08-20 1:44 PM tlancer23

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by freckle face
Views: 2078 Posts: 17

2009-08-27 9:52 AM Matchman

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by kilo_dave
Views: 1500 Posts: 13

2009-08-30 11:31 PM Triathlon Sean

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by burkesj
Views: 1708 Posts: 2

2008-07-06 6:56 AM burkesj

Pikes Peak Marathon

Started by ccollins2
Views: 930 Posts: 2

2006-09-07 10:44 AM pseudoyams
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How do you train for an A-race that is six months away? How do you peak for multiple A-races?

date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Stability Ball Pike-Up abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.