General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback on Swim video Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-19 6:08 AM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: Feedback on Swim video
Not so hot at the swimming and i have been basically teaching myself through youtube videos and this website.. Have a link so if you have a chance maybe check it out and give me some pointers if you can... Don't mind the video its not the best but pretty good for a couple of hillbillies in a pool. I watched this video once and got bored pretty quick so i appreciate your time lol.. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmv0Vvah5P8

2015-02-19 6:56 AM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Feedback on Swim video
I'm no pro so take what I say with a grain of salt.

1. Your hand/arm position needs adjusting. Sometimes your hand comes up, and your fingertips should always be below your wrist which should be below your elbow which should be below your shoulder. (I'll add a picture below). I had this same problem and it was pretty easy for me to fix. I would swim lengths while watching my hands (supposed to look down for alignment, but it worked to fix this problem).

2. I also think you need to roll your body more in the water (get more sideways). It should make you a little more streamlined and also make breathing easier.

It looks like when you breathe you're pushing down on the water to try to get up. I don't know how to fix that, but I hear people talking about that. That's how I breathe on my left side, and I will hopefully fix that in the future, but for now I'll just stick to breathing on my right side :D

I'm also currently switching to the Total Immersion version of kicking which is one per stroke, but I know that's a style choice. For me it has helped a lot. I was creating a lot of drag with my legs while kicking that I wasn't making up with propulsion.

Hope this helps.

(hand position.png)

Attachments
----------------
hand position.png (103KB - 2 downloads)
2015-02-19 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

1. Your kick.  You're kicking like you're riding a bike.  Your kick comes from your knees.  It should be coming from your hips/glutes.

2. Hand position.  Lupy provided some good info.  Easy thing to remember.  Hand/fingers lower than wrist, wrist lower than elbows.  Always.

3. Shoulder position.  You're dropping your shoulder and elbow... a lot.  This picture does a great job of illustrating proper shoulder and elbow position as you start your catch.

Notice how his elbow is pointed at the wall and his arm is almost at a 90 degree angle.  Look at your video.  Your elbow is basically pointed at the bottom of the pool at that start of your catch.

4. Your catch.  You more or less don't have a catch.  Look at the pic above with the guy with the 90 degree elbow.  He will pull straight back using his arm like a paddle and pressing the water back behind him. http://www.swimsmooth.com/catch.html

2015-02-19 8:40 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Thanks for the slow-mo bits, very helpful. And by the way, good work on doing flip turns.

overall, you actually look pretty smooth and relaxed in the water. That's hugely helpful, so keep that mojo. You've got a nice light kick with the right action, and actually your body position in turns of rotation looks pretty good. You don't want to be tipped over on your side or have your shoulder dip down deep in the water, and you don't. So, good.

In terms of stroke you want your elbow UP and your fingertips DOWN as soon as possible so that your entire wrist and forearm are a paddle vertical to water surface/pool bottom, pushing water BACK so you go FORWARD. Right now you've got your arm straight out, and it continues to be pretty straight and therefore pushes DOWN on the water (so you go as much UP as forward) until nearly halfway through the stroke.

Look at Peter Vanderkaay's arm in the attached photo. That's what you want your arm to look like. Another poster mentioned watching your arm in the water and that's a good idea.

Try doing it on land, over the pool edge (black arrows in the attached photo). It gives you the correct bend in your arm and you'll feel what it's like to put pressure on your hand and forearm pushing water BACK (like you're pushing on the pool wall).

I strongly recommend nosing around the http://www.swimsmooth.com site for more visuals and tips.

If you're serious about wanting to improve your swimming, and now for where you are wintertime is ideal for this, check out the

http://www.sheilat.com site and start on the Swim Speed Workouts (first 6 are free). You can order the rest, and frankly the visuals in her book Swim Speed Secrets are second to none and make it "click" for a lot of people.

(Peter.EVF.jpg)

(PressPoolEdgeFeel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Peter.EVF.jpg (76KB - 1 downloads)
PressPoolEdgeFeel.jpg (93KB - 2 downloads)
2015-02-19 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
For being self taught, that's pretty good but there are a few things you can work on. My first reaction to the video is a lot of wasted movement. Become more efficient and you will go further with less effort. I wouldn't try and change everything at once, but pick certain things to work on and focus on those. Here are a few of my thoughts:

Drills, drills and more drills, they'll help.

Body roll, as said above, you need more of it.

Kick-swimming kick is for body balance in the water, very little propulsion is gained. Your kick is from the knees and it should be from the hips with a flexed knee. Don't worry about how much you kick (2 kick/stroke for me) and focus on HOW you kick

On your catch phase in the water, high elbows so your triceps are roughly parallel with the bottom and pull straight back to below your waist, one of your arms (left) was going kind of wide and that won't push you back nearly as well.

Your arm angle entering the water is pretty steep. Try and envision reaching over a barrel with the high elbow and pulling straight back to below your waist.

Most important--patience, it will come.

Good luck.

2015-02-19 10:54 PM
in reply to: 0

I haven't read all the posts but I'll add:

- your body position is poor, legs creating too much drag. Kick from the hips. I mentioned this in a previous thread, but are you wearing buoyancy shorts? If so I'd ditch these or use sparingly, work on your body position without buoyancy aids.
- head is coming out of water too much to breathe, 1 google lens should be submerged
- your right hand is acting as a brake when it hits the water, fingers are pointing up, palm pushing forward providing resistance
- vid is slow mo so hard to tell, but your stroke rate might be too high, not enough glide?

Edited by zedzded 2015-02-19 10:58 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback on Swim video Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me swim faster! Swim critique video Pages: 1 2

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 3605 Posts: 29

2012-05-22 2:11 PM AdventureBear

Give me some swim stroke feedback (w/video)

Started by tuwood
Views: 1663 Posts: 23

2012-01-28 8:55 PM gerald12

Swim Video - Feedback Welcome

Started by MultisportMinistries
Views: 813 Posts: 5

2010-08-13 9:13 PM PTWykes

Ladder Swimming? Need some feedback

Started by Miko
Views: 1750 Posts: 16

2005-03-17 9:10 PM Miko

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3526 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : April 23, 2009
Some examples of easy 'loosen' swim strokes that are used for recovery.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 2
Swim, bike and run video tutorials for the Silver and Gold member training plans.
date : July 23, 2007
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : June 29, 2006
The following instructions make it easy to record and upload your triathlon and race videos to your albums.
date : June 21, 2006
You won't find me here. You will find the pro's coming out of water.

date : June 21, 2006
This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.