Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Ironman in 5 months
Not to stir the pot at all or insult anyone but 2 hrs to swim, 8.5 to ride (for a normal guy this is really, really slow) and 6.5 to walk the marathon = 17 hours. I'm ignoring transitions. Thats a long day but unless he has some physical issue, I don't know why its not possible, especially given 5 months to train. If you are a relatively normal sized/capable guy, ramping up the bike and swim is actually quite simple. And if you plan on walking at 4 mph for 6.5 hours, do you really need to put time into training? And if he is a decent baseline swimmer, he probably could do a few swim sessions and be fine- finishing the swim in 2 hrs is pretty leisurely if you have somewhat decent technique. I think conditioning his rear end to sit on the bike that long is going to be almost the hardest thing :-)

2015-02-26 12:24 AM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Originally posted by tridantri

marathongirl21, I am sure you will be absolutly fine for your IM.  You have a really good base from which to build on with your running and the HIM you have done.  5 months will be plenty of time to prepare yourself for an IM, especially as you have already done a couple of 100 mile rides and marathons.  Don't be put off by the posts in this thread - they are aimed at someone who has only 5 months to train for an IM and esentially has no experiance of consistant training (you do) and little experiance of competing in endurance races (again, you do).  This person may well finish and nobody is saying that there is anything wrong with a 16 hour time, but with the solid training you are doing I suspect you may well enjoy the day more, have a higher chance of finishing, less likely to get injured and possibly have time to spare if things go a little wrong on the day (minor injury, flats etc.).

I hate wetsuits too - maybe others have some advise in that area.  Best of luck with your IM

Thank you! I appreciate your reply and comments, you know first IM and already scared to death.. i was telling myself,maybe i should stay away from these forums!
2015-02-26 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by tridantri

marathongirl21, I am sure you will be absolutly fine for your IM.  You have a really good base from which to build on with your running and the HIM you have done.  5 months will be plenty of time to prepare yourself for an IM, especially as you have already done a couple of 100 mile rides and marathons.  Don't be put off by the posts in this thread - they are aimed at someone who has only 5 months to train for an IM and esentially has no experiance of consistant training (you do) and little experiance of competing in endurance races (again, you do).  This person may well finish and nobody is saying that there is anything wrong with a 16 hour time, but with the solid training you are doing I suspect you may well enjoy the day more, have a higher chance of finishing, less likely to get injured and possibly have time to spare if things go a little wrong on the day (minor injury, flats etc.).

I hate wetsuits too - maybe others have some advise in that area.  Best of luck with your IM

not to derail the thread...but the OP's friend hasn't started training and seemingly not focused on the IM as a serious commitment....and no experience with long races. Completely different scenario compared to someone with a HIM and training under their belt for these sort of races (and taking the training seriously)

The problem lies mostly with not having a gradual & structured build, cramming might work for college exams but not for something like Ironman....unless you are really unusually blessed with freakish athletic abilities.

as for wetsuits, practice A LOT before getting to the race. tightness in the neck, shoulders and arms can make wetsuit swims really awful. make sure your suit fits well. lubing up the shoulders, chest and arms with body glide or something like that, helps greatly IMO.

Edited by metafizx 2015-02-26 4:20 PM
2015-02-27 2:38 PM
in reply to: JoelO

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by JoelO

I'm confused (insert joke here). 

In your first post it sounded to me that your friend had never done an IM.  Then you said this..."My friend did IM texas with me and finished in 14:30" which made me think he had done one but wasn't really putting in the effort for this year's race.  Then you posted this...But I was thinking, "I'm afraid he doesn't know what he's getting into."  

So, has he or hasn't he done an IM before?  If he's done one before, he knows what he's getting into.

Haha! Yeah sorry that does sound confusing. Different friend. But my friend that finished in 14:30 had been training consistently for a few years and trained (although not as strict as me) for a good 9 months for the IM. It's been interesting to hear everyone's opinion about this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in 5 months Rss Feed  

of 2