General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life hacks triathlon style Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-21 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Life hacks triathlon style
I'm curious what you do to make things easier for you. Here are a few that have helped me.

1). Sharpied my pool lock combo inside my goggle strap (maybe my inability to remember the combo just means I should swim more- but this works too).

2). Use goals as computer passwords to keep them in front of me (totally made up example 24min5k). I find having to type them 5 times a day helps keep me more on track.

So, what have you done to make triathlon just a little easier for you?

2015-02-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Life hacks triathlon style
I didn't do it on purpose to help with triathlon but.....Got a cat (and later another cat to keep him company). They expect to be fed as soon as it starts to get light, so there's no sleeping in. And since I've started training before work, after a week or so of my getting up (and feeding them) at 4:45, they've expected to be fed that time every day. (It doesn't matter how much food is in their bowls, they still expect the feeding ritual.) It's hard to sleep in with a 15 pound cat stepping on your bladder and head, and a little one putting her dainty wet nose into your ear. Better than any alarm clocks.
2015-02-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, CO

HR, that's hilarious!  Moonrocket, I'm going to have to remember the combination on the goggles strap idea.  Although it's never actually happened, I always have visions of being dripping wet and unable to remember my combo.

Here are things that help me:

1. Going straight to the pool after work instead of stopping at home 1st.
  2. Put pool gear together the night before so I can just grab it as I head out the door in the morning.
  3. Getting on the bike while DH is making dinner instead of waiting until after I eat.
  4. Making a reward system so I get things I want when I achieve the goal (ex: new swimsuit or other piece of gear when I reach a goal)
  5. Meeting a friend at the pool.  Definitely keeps me accountable!
2015-02-21 3:12 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

I write my bike route directions in sharpie on my left leg and my workout description on my right leg. Sometimes that makes for interesting tan lines.

I write my swim workouts on an index card and put the index card in a ziplock so it doesn't get soggy. I keep all the cards in the baggy.

My swim workouts on the index cards are color-coded: distance workout is purple (favorite color and favorite swims, hehe) sprint is yellow (least favorite), etc. Makes it easier to figure out which cards to look through before getting in the pool.

Run workouts are also written in sharpie but on my arm.
2015-02-21 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I found a "talking alarm clock" app for my phone. For the coming week, I record a personalized message to help me get out of bed and start training. It's usually something like "The Ironman Bike Course is 112 miles long. This morning you only have to ride 20," or something to that effect. The reminder of what I'm training for is good motivation for actually getting up and running.
2015-02-21 8:27 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

Scottsdale, AZ
Love these!

Best thing I do is combine work with training - I teach spin classes :-)

Have my weekly plan written out on my calendar - so no messing it up!

Get all gear ready to go the night before.

Run along while my kids bike to school, then run home - perfect 3 miles which is my recovery run day. Only problem is I have to pick up the pace to keep up, so not so much recovery.

Have a TRX in the back yard so whenever I have a spare 15 min, I can get a quick strength session in.

2015-02-21 10:58 PM
in reply to: #5095000

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I've got a wife that gets up early to study for school. It is difficult but she helps keep me on pace in the mornings (5:00am) because I told her if I refuse that she is allowed to pour a cup of water on me! I've avoided the water thus far but she has gotten water out several times hehe

I think I'll transition into using a wall calendar for tracking my workouts. I've always done them on my google calendar but it ends up being very cluttered with all of my other work and personal stuff. Plus it sounds fun to cross it out each time!
2015-02-22 8:41 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I'm a big fan of the index cards with swim workouts and I also have done it on the bike for long rides, where I don't want to take wrong mountainous turns and get lost. I "laminate" them at home with clear packing tape. Helps with poolside wetness, I carry a sharpie with in case I feel need to jot down a note or swim cadence info as well.
2015-02-22 9:02 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by TJHammer

I'm a big fan of the index cards with swim workouts and I also have done it on the bike for long rides, where I don't want to take wrong mountainous turns and get lost. I "laminate" them at home with clear packing tape. Helps with poolside wetness, I carry a sharpie with in case I feel need to jot down a note or swim cadence info as well.

Ha - I "laminate" things with packing tape as well. Who needs a fancy machine!

Another thing that we did ...got rid of cable. I know, hard to imagine for some, and I wasn't a huge TV watcher as it was, but amazing how it sucks you in even for 30 min. I don't have the TV on for no reason anymore.

We have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Video - so I can find most of the shows that I like to watch. But the only time that I really watch them is if I'm on my trainer. Amazing how 2 hours on the trainer can go by when I look forward to catching up on my favorites!

If I can't find a show that I want, good odds that I can stream it on my computer...so that works too!

I like seeing these ideas!
2015-02-22 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Some great ideas.

We make our own wetsuit lube that is nearly free, effective, and is harmless to neoprene: 1/3 hair conditioner + 2/3 water mixed up in a small 99 cent travel spray bottle (find 'em at target and similar places). Spray on body and suit when putting on wetsuit. Works great.

About using a sharpie on your skin: a few times a year for races, probably ok. But many times a week for training notes? Probably not the best thing, health-wise.

2015-02-22 11:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Train during my son's track/xc workouts.

2015-02-23 8:14 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I do 90% of my training at lunch which I used to get 1 hour for OK for running but tight to swim and Gym train, SO MY boss needed someone to work 1/2 hour later to cover our work schedule so I cut a deal to work the extra 1/2 hour but I wanted an hour and a half for lunch He agreed. The pool and Gym are like 3 minutes from my office so now I get in a full 1 hour swim or gym workout every day and still have 1/2 hour to get there and back shower and eat, worked out AWESOME for me. Now I get to train a full hour every day 5 days a week without cutting into family life at all. I only worked a 35 hour week to begin with so now I still only do 37 1/2 hours total
2015-02-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Carmel, Indiana
-I have my transition backpack marked with my name. (Homemade travel tag) I use duct tape taped to itself w/my name in permanent marker.
-Cut 2-inches off the bottom of your wetsuit to help taking it off.
-Tape up the vents on my bike shoes for cold days.
2015-02-23 11:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

These are more specific to Ironman training, but:

• Relentlessly stay on top of the laundry pile. There's nothing worse than being ready and excited for a workout, only to find you don't have any clean shorts. 
  • Prepare everything you can the night before a big training day. Mix drinks, fill bottles, set out clothing, bars, gels, sunscreen, glides and creams so you aren't searching at 4 a.m. in a semi-sleep state.
  • Train with others. It's much harder to blow off or delay a workout when other people are waiting on you.
  • Have a recovery nutrition plan. It sucks to come home from a 5-hour ride, stomach growling and see nothing in the fridge. Buy or prepare healthy recovery foods so you aren't tempted to binge on food you may regret.
  • Commute to work and squeeze things in over lunch if you can. I am lucky in that I've always worked close to home, so when it's not snowing (like today) I can ride or even run to work. My current job facility has lockers and showers (and a small gym) so there's really not much of an excuse come spring time. I found a group that does short workouts in the company gym over lunch and it's fun to meet up with them a few days a week (just have to remember the gym/shower bag).

2015-02-23 11:54 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I do majority of my training at 4:30 AM so I always get my gear ready the night before. Have everything ready so I' m good to go after I wake up.

For long runs...I use my truck as an aid station. Keep water bottles and gels in the back. I have several 2-4 mile routes that circle back to my truck. It helps break up the long runs and eliminates the need to carry a water bottle.

2015-02-23 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks

About using a sharpie on your skin: a few times a year for races, probably ok. But many times a week for training notes? Probably not the best thing, health-wise.

Lol, imagine me all "tatt'd"up with sharpie marks poolside, I meant writing on the "laminated" index card with the sharpie; in few seconds it won't wipe off, but I'd love to start writing all over myself one evening just to get reactions

Edited by TJHammer 2015-02-23 6:32 PM

2015-02-23 7:15 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Keep a travel size baby shampoo and q-tips in my swim bag. If/when the goggles get foggy, rub some baby shampoo on the inside of the goggles and let it dry. That usually gets an old pair of goggle to a useful state for at least one solid workout.

Keep scissors in my race bag so I can cut the bike number and put it on my down tube. I'm not that tall, so putting it on my seat post, with my spare tire/CO2 bag doesn't work for me. If I try to wrap the bike # sticker, it always gets uneven and annoying.
2015-02-23 8:49 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by laffinrock

HR, that's hilarious!  Moonrocket, I'm going to have to remember the combination on the goggles strap idea.  Although it's never actually happened, I always have visions of being dripping wet and unable to remember my combo.

Here are things that help me:

1. Going straight to the pool after work instead of stopping at home 1st.
  2. Put pool gear together the night before so I can just grab it as I head out the door in the morning.
  3. Getting on the bike while DH is making dinner instead of waiting until after I eat.
  4. Making a reward system so I get things I want when I achieve the goal (ex: new swimsuit or other piece of gear when I reach a goal)
  5. Meeting a friend at the pool.  Definitely keeps me accountable!

Good idea about the combo. I've forgotten mine before and walked to the front desk at the Y and called home for someone to look it up :-). Luckily I had it pinned to a book case.
2015-02-23 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Peeing in the pool allows for maximum training time.
2015-02-23 11:06 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Peeing in the pool allows for maximum training time.

Now why did you go there?
2015-02-24 12:05 AM

User image

Living in a less developed country I always carry a roll of toilet paper in my training bag

With the new Garmin watch I also started making "workouts" that I could transfer to my watch, so the watch will tell me what pace to keep, intervals, cadence etc.

2015-02-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: knuta99

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Just pre-plan for the next day. Immediately after dinner I get out all my clothes for the next day, pack my gym bag, make my lunch and set the non-refrigerated stuff in my lunchbox on the table, set out my breakfast dishes etc. Then all I need to do is get up, have breakfast and I am out the door.

I drive 30 minutes to where I work and work out. Training by 5:00am without fail.

It makes the mornings very easy. I don't worry that I forgot anything or have to stumble around in the dark so I don't wake anyone up (except Callie my dog who always gets up with me).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life hacks triathlon style Rss Feed