BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-18 6:00 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Thanks for all the job happiness!

He says he's having a great first day. And the best part is he's home for dinner.

Now I'm hoping to get my training routine back on track since my sleep is going to be normal again.

2015-05-18 6:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah, I knew what you meant.

So Saturday I volunteered at our local 4th annual kids tri. I love this event. The kids are great! (the parents are a pain in the azz)

This year I didn't get pictures of the adorable bikes in transition because I was stationed at the pool this year.  The way the race is set up the 3-5s race, then when they are done the 6-9s race, when they are done the 10-12s race.  Most of my time during the 3-5 race was spent keeping spectators out of the race path of the kids. At that age the parents are allowed to assist their child the whole time.  During the 6-9 race my job was to watch two lanes of 2 kids each (splitting the lane) to go down and back then start the next batch. For this group my biggest problem was staying at the edge of the pool without being pushed in by "supportive" parents.  For the 10-12s my job was to again watch two lanes of two kids each but this time they were doing 3 laps so I was also counting laps.  For this one the parents are allowed no involvement other than cheering from the sidelines, as you would an adult race. So my only challenge for that one was when one boy struggled for the first 25 so when he got to the other end Dad gave him a kickboard. Um no, no parental assistance and absolutely no swim tools.  So when he got back to me I explained he can't have it and I took it away. Then he proceeded to swim/propel himself on the rope for another 100 meters.  I feel bad for the kid and don't understand why his parents signed hime up for a race with a 150 meter swim if he can't do it. Of course, I suppose there is a chance he can do it and just choked but Dad was sure ready to hand him a kickboard...

Well, I guess the kid got a hard lesson earlier about the importance of preparation!

Waita' regulate, you dream-killer you  

I haz shame

Nope. The dad should haz the shame. Sheesh, I feel bad for the kid

Can't think of any event my parents would have stepped in like that for. Life in danger, absolutely.

2015-05-18 6:14 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

So Saturday I volunteered at our local 4th annual kids tri. I love this event. The kids are great! (the parents are a pain in the azz)

This year I didn't get pictures of the adorable bikes in transition because I was stationed at the pool this year.  The way the race is set up the 3-5s race, then when they are done the 6-9s race, when they are done the 10-12s race.  Most of my time during the 3-5 race was spent keeping spectators out of the race path of the kids. At that age the parents are allowed to assist their child the whole time.  During the 6-9 race my job was to watch two lanes of 2 kids each (splitting the lane) to go down and back then start the next batch. For this group my biggest problem was staying at the edge of the pool without being pushed in by "supportive" parents.  For the 10-12s my job was to again watch two lanes of two kids each but this time they were doing 3 laps so I was also counting laps.  For this one the parents are allowed no involvement other than cheering from the sidelines, as you would an adult race. So my only challenge for that one was when one boy struggled for the first 25 so when he got to the other end Dad gave him a kickboard. Um no, no parental assistance and absolutely no swim tools.  So when he got back to me I explained he can't have it and I took it away. Then he proceeded to swim/propel himself on the rope for another 100 meters.  I feel bad for the kid and don't understand why his parents signed hime up for a race with a 150 meter swim if he can't do it. Of course, I suppose there is a chance he can do it and just choked but Dad was sure ready to hand him a kickboard...

I think that is so awesome that you volunteered to help these kids out.  Events don't happen without people like you that give of their time.  Thanks.

This does remind me that my son has a kid tri in about two months and the swim is open water in a small lake.  It was his first last year and they could use a life jacket if they wanted.  I made my son as he was just getting the hang of swimming.  I know this year he will want to do it without and I'm already nervous.  I'm going to try to get to the lake after work this evening for my first OWS of the year.  Hopefully my son will go with me as he has a little kayak that he can follow me around in (or me follow him, doh!!).  He also has a little wetsuit so I may throw him in so he can get some practice in too.  I'm sure the water is still pretty cold though (low to mid 50's).

Yikes!  That's some cooooold water, for either one of you!

2015-05-18 11:48 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by laffinrock

I think that is so awesome that you volunteered to help these kids out.  Events don't happen without people like you that give of their time.  Thanks.

This does remind me that my son has a kid tri in about two months and the swim is open water in a small lake.  It was his first last year and they could use a life jacket if they wanted.  I made my son as he was just getting the hang of swimming.  I know this year he will want to do it without and I'm already nervous.  I'm going to try to get to the lake after work this evening for my first OWS of the year.  Hopefully my son will go with me as he has a little kayak that he can follow me around in (or me follow him, doh!!).  He also has a little wetsuit so I may throw him in so he can get some practice in too.  I'm sure the water is still pretty cold though (low to mid 50's).

Yikes!  That's some cooooold water, for either one of you!

I underestimated the water temp.  Was a little chilly but overall quite tolerable.  I did not need the booties, neoprene cap, or gloves.  It was a truly wonderful evening.  Son kayaked along with me.  Saw a couple of bald eagles.  The lake was peaceful and so beautiful.  While stopped for a second at a buoy mid-swim he says to me, "this is so awesome".  At times life can be so wonderful.

We brought his bike and rode with me while I ran 5 miles on the trail around the lake.  Ran into a big group of tri folks in training that a few friends of mine are mentoring.  So great to see old tri friends I haven't seen in a while. 

2015-05-19 7:41 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Katy, Texas
That's awesome Steve!! Living life right!
2015-05-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Maybe they were hoping for it to be wetsuit legal?  ;-)

Seriously, it's hard to know what they were thinking!

2015-05-19 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I had to cut my brick short yesterday because of time constraints.  Planned to do 40 mile ride/ 6 mile run but had to cut the bike to 21 miles but I road my CX bike with knobby tires to make it a bit tougher.  Got my full run in and with weekly bricks I'm really starting to run well off the bike.  I am beginning to see that the big four or five hour workouts are going to be very difficult to get in.  I just can't take that amount of time out of the day with everything else in my life.  Same reason I quit golfing years ago.  An hour or two I usually manage to squeeze in sometime during the day but not these long sessions.   I feel I can get the swimming and running workload in for what I want to accomplish but am going to have to temper my expectations on the bike.  I should be doing some 50-60 mile rides in prep for my HIM and that has not happened.  Oh well, I guess we do what we can do.

Exactly! And there has to be some semblance of balance...which you're trying hard to have.

Exactly!  For every one of us, that balance is going to be a bit different.  We all have an idea of the events that we would like to do and the time that we can devote to training.  I'm pretty sure that all of us have discussed these things with our SOs.  The trick is (1) selecting the events that you can train for (not trying to training for an IM on a Sprint schedule) and (2) what to do when something throws a wrench in things (boss signs you up for some unexpected travel, family plans change, injury, illness whether yours or someone else's).  All you can do is what you can do and move on.  Sometimes that involves resetting expectations but even that is not the end of the world.

2015-05-19 8:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of illness whether yours or someone else's -- Yanti is under the weather again

2015-05-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Is it easier to change a tire on a mountain bike?

Are there any additional tools I should carry? 

If you were my husband, I'd say a spare derailleur in your back pocket!  Since you are you, I think that you are good!  (In Kevin's defense, that problem seemed to be more related to the stick eating Santa Cruz than the current favorite Yeti so maybe it really is a design problem.)

2015-05-19 8:51 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I had to cut my brick short yesterday because of time constraints.  Planned to do 40 mile ride/ 6 mile run but had to cut the bike to 21 miles but I road my CX bike with knobby tires to make it a bit tougher.  Got my full run in and with weekly bricks I'm really starting to run well off the bike.  I am beginning to see that the big four or five hour workouts are going to be very difficult to get in.  I just can't take that amount of time out of the day with everything else in my life.  Same reason I quit golfing years ago.  An hour or two I usually manage to squeeze in sometime during the day but not these long sessions.   I feel I can get the swimming and running workload in for what I want to accomplish but am going to have to temper my expectations on the bike.  I should be doing some 50-60 mile rides in prep for my HIM and that has not happened.  Oh well, I guess we do what we can do.

Exactly! And there has to be some semblance of balance...which you're trying hard to have.

Exactly!  For every one of us, that balance is going to be a bit different.  We all have an idea of the events that we would like to do and the time that we can devote to training.  I'm pretty sure that all of us have discussed these things with our SOs.  The trick is (1) selecting the events that you can train for (not trying to training for an IM on a Sprint schedule) and (2) what to do when something throws a wrench in things (boss signs you up for some unexpected travel, family plans change, injury, illness whether yours or someone else's).  All you can do is what you can do and move on.  Sometimes that involves resetting expectations but even that is not the end of the world.

I guess its all about choosing your priorities and seeing that none of us are professional athletes generally there are more important things in life than training. You just have to get comfortable with what you can realistically do.
2015-05-19 8:53 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
"squish up - they told me at the store it is a three seater."

(we all fit.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
we all fit.JPG (52KB - 63 downloads)

2015-05-19 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK "squish up - they told me at the store it is a three seater."

hahaha - i love pictures of your doggies!!

2015-05-19 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK "squish up - they told me at the store it is a three seater."

Too bad they don't get along!

2015-05-19 9:22 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Ha!  Looks like one of those "seats" barely fits because another is taking up more than his/her share.  What a great pic of mastiff snuggles.

2015-05-19 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Speaking of illness whether yours or someone else's -- Yanti is under the weather again

what's up with this?!

I was reading all this good stuff about kid tris, parents swimming with kids, people gettin new (or repainted) bikeys, husband's getting new jobs close to home and racing at altitude (not me, man!) and then this. BOOOO YANTI Feel better!!!

Welcome to Tuesday! WOOT!

My dog will finally be happy that the AC parts are on order - decided to fix rather than to replace. And NOW my first world problems can focus on something else......

Had a little race on Sunday - race report is up on the Ten Penny Duathlon. It was fun - and I finished (therefore I won because to finish is to win).

Out of the office tomorrow and Thursday which means either I'll be online for 8 hours or for zero hours LOL

Have a great day all.

(PS Janyne, both DH and I carry spare derailleur hangers in our mtb packs. :D )

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2015-05-19 9:56 AM
2015-05-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

My first reaction to this is "you can't fix stupid". However, I think there is room for discussion.  While I agree that a bike tax probably would not pay for the development of bike lanes, I also believe that bike lanes, and biking in general, benefit car drivers as well.

ETA: Just realized how old that article is! Not sure why my LBS posted it on FB.

So Seatlle-ites what ever became of the bike tax?

Edited by rrrunner 2015-05-19 11:00 AM

2015-05-19 11:31 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

My first reaction to this is "you can't fix stupid". However, I think there is room for discussion.  While I agree that a bike tax probably would not pay for the development of bike lanes, I also believe that bike lanes, and biking in general, benefit car drivers as well.

ETA: Just realized how old that article is! Not sure why my LBS posted it on FB.

No bike tax  

I know I had just revisited that, too. We were talking about it at work. Bike commuting is actually something we focus on when talking about our stores environmental impact. 

In fact, fun fact: the majority of Starbucks have a bike rack, a pump and patch kit for you to use. Who here knew that? 

2015-05-19 11:37 AM

User image

Seattle

Our club posted this today:

'Looking for ladies with a 16:15ish PR or faster to run a fast 5k with Kara Goucher and Christine Babcock on Wednesday, May 27 at the first Club Northwest All-Comers Meet of the season at Shoreline Stadium in Shoreline, WA.

Lauren Fleshman may step in for pacing duties. They are shooting for a 15:20

We will run a women's-only fast heat at 8:45pm, followed by the regularly scheduled all-comers 5k.

You do not need to pre-register or pre-pay, but please do RSVP with me so that we have a good idea of who is coming. Spread the word!"

This is the meet I got DFL in btw. Maybe I should do it again, hey?

Nah, I was thinking of running the mile though. 

2015-05-19 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

No bike tax  

I know I had just revisited that, too. We were talking about it at work. Bike commuting is actually something we focus on when talking about our stores environmental impact. 

In fact, fun fact: the majority of Starbucks have a bike rack, a pump and patch kit for you to use. Who here knew that? 

I knew they have bike racks, the pump and kit I did not know. Pretty awesome though!

2015-05-19 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

'Looking for ladies with a 16:15ish PR or faster to run a fast 5k with Kara Goucher and Christine Babcock on Wednesday, May 27 at the first Club Northwest All-Comers Meet of the season at Shoreline Stadium in Shoreline, WA.

We will run a women's-only fast heat at 8:45pm, followed by the regularly scheduled all-comers 5k.

You do not need to pre-register or pre-pay, but please do RSVP with me so that we have a good idea of who is coming. Spread the word!"

So much awesomeness in one place!

2015-05-19 12:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO

DOOOOO EEEET!  You never know.  You may not be on pace with the top-tier pros but it just might push you to a new PR.

2015-05-19 12:39 PM

User image

Seattle

DOOOOO EEEET!  You never know.  You may not be on pace with the top-tier pros but it just might push you to a new PR.

Naah, in this case I probably wont. They want a 16:15 for the elite wave and I'm not close to that (more like 18:XX) so I would be running in the open race. 5K on the track is a lot of suffering when you aren't really specifically training for that particular kind of hurt. At least the mile would be over quickly, and I could probably still do a workout on top of the mile so as to get some training adaptations, too.

I really need to keep focus on the National Championship and the PPA. 

2015-05-19 1:00 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Naah, in this case I probably wont. They want a 16:15 for the elite wave and I'm not close to that (more like 18:XX) so I would be running in the open race. 5K on the track is a lot of suffering when you aren't really specifically training for that particular kind of hurt. At least the mile would be over quickly, and I could probably still do a workout on top of the mile so as to get some training adaptations, too.

Well, if you *have* to be sensible, I guess it's okay to skip it.  At least you're off the hook now for the course record at the PPA.

2015-05-19 1:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Well, if you *have* to be sensible, I guess it's okay to skip it.  At least you're off the hook now for the course record at the PPA.

HAHAHAHAHA touche! 

2015-05-19 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Oh my, is it really getting to be that time of the year again?!?

Those are some pretty fast ladies.  I think it would be fun to hang with them for a lap or two (or in my case a few hundred yards).  The times at these Club NW meets are just crazy.  Ours are considerably less which makes it less humiliating for me.  I even tried the high jump last year.  Fail.

Are you going to run any of the 5000's later in the season?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15235 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27659 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11707 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 65908 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54105 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.