BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-02 3:00 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK Great news - the vet thinks that the lump and fluid in Abbi's leg is an infected lymph node and not bone cancer. Diagnosis is based on the lameness coming after the swelling rather than before. She has had a shot of antibiotics and anti inflammatory. She seems to have improved over he day, but back for more shots tomorrow and then probably then oral antibiotics for a bit.

Whew! 

How's she doing today?

Yay!  So glad to hear it's not cancer.  Hope she heals up quickly. 

Yeesh X2!!!!

2015-03-02 3:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by fortissimo My coach put up my workouts onto Training Peaks over night. I'm pretty sure he is trying to kill me...

Why is it that so many coaches seem to have murderous tendencies?

My coach wants me to do 15 min. of foam rolling EVERY DAY.  The workouts are itty bitty but just enough, but that foam rolling - ouch ouch ouch!!! 

Hmmm, that is a TON of time foam rolling. What exactly are you rolling? And what is the coach hoping to accomplish with it?

2015-03-02 3:02 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

'nother marathon question...

During my long runs I've been slowing down to drink every 1.5 miles or so to simulate race conditions, but carrying my bottle (maybe I should get DH to meet me with a dixie cup every 1.5 instead ).  Well looking at the course preview I see that for the first half of the marathon the aid stations are every 2.5 to 3 miles, then they get to 1.5 to 2 for the second half (when the HM joins in).  So. Do I adjust to drinking less frequently? Is that too little hydration? Or should I plan to carry my bottle for the race? I was kinda looking forward to not having to do that.

Of course, there is still the issue of getting used to Nuun, but I'm working on that.

Thoughts?

2015-03-02 3:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by fortissimo My coach put up my workouts onto Training Peaks over night. I'm pretty sure he is trying to kill me...

My coach wants me to do 15 min. of foam rolling EVERY DAY.  The workouts are itty bitty but just enough, but that foam rolling - ouch ouch ouch!!! 

Hmmm, that is a TON of time foam rolling. What exactly are you rolling? And what is the coach hoping to accomplish with it?

I was wondering about that too. I've read that if you roll too long it can irritate the muscles.

2015-03-02 3:36 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

I was wondering about that too. I've read that if you roll too long it can irritate the muscles.

She says, "Take some time to foam roll each day. You can do a full-body roll, or focus on specific parts that you think could use some extra attention."  I generally work on my legs, then glutes/piriformis, and back, then reverse direction and go back over things that were sore the 1st time around.  I did it for a week and didn't find it to be particularly helpful and it made my shoulder hurt from all the weight I was putting on it.  On the other hand, the last time I saw my PT, she said she could tell that I'd been doing it because the muscles were looser.  Coach hasn't given me an explanation other than that it will help me heal.  Think I should push back?  If so, how much seems like a reasonable amount?

2015-03-02 3:37 PM

User image

Seattle

During my long runs I've been slowing down to drink every 1.5 miles or so to simulate race conditions, but carrying my bottle (maybe I should get DH to meet me with a dixie cup every 1.5 instead ).  Well looking at the course preview I see that for the first half of the marathon the aid stations are every 2.5 to 3 miles, then they get to 1.5 to 2 for the second half (when the HM joins in).  So. Do I adjust to drinking less frequently? Is that too little hydration? Or should I plan to carry my bottle for the race? I was kinda looking forward to not having to do that.

Of course, there is still the issue of getting used to Nuun, but I'm working on that.

Thoughts?

First, read this: http://www.wsj.com/articles/ease-up-on-the-water-during-that-marathon-1424715632

Your performance will not suffer if you drink too little during the actual race, with the caveat that you should have good hydration (and for that matter eating) habits in general ever day. Especially leading up to the race. Not the morning of, not just during the race. 

For a true simulation (and mind you I only do this once, right before the race) I do my long run (minus about 3 miles) and then hit the track where I have my drinks on a stool (exactly what will be in the marathon, in a cup like they do a marathon.) I drink at the frequency that is likely in the marathon and because I have done miles before, it's relatively close to how I will be feeling and breathing and running in the marathon. 

And if you really don't like the nuun, don't use it. 

2015-03-02 3:39 PM

User image

Seattle

She says, "Take some time to foam roll each day. You can do a full-body roll, or focus on specific parts that you think could use some extra attention."  I generally work on my legs, then glutes/piriformis, and back, then reverse direction and go back over things that were sore the 1st time around.  I did it for a week and didn't find it to be particularly helpful and it made my shoulder hurt from all the weight I was putting on it.  On the other hand, the last time I saw my PT, she said she could tell that I'd been doing it because the muscles were looser.  Coach hasn't given me an explanation other than that it will help me heal.  Think I should push back?  If so, how much seems like a reasonable amount?

I would definitely push back on the things that hurt. Then I would question exactly what the purpose was. 

2015-03-02 3:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thoughts?

First, read this: http://www.wsj.com/articles/ease-up-on-the-water-during-that-marathon-1424715632

Your performance will not suffer if you drink too little during the actual race, with the caveat that you should have good hydration (and for that matter eating) habits in general ever day. Especially leading up to the race. Not the morning of, not just during the race. 

For a true simulation (and mind you I only do this once, right before the race) I do my long run (minus about 3 miles) and then hit the track where I have my drinks on a stool (exactly what will be in the marathon, in a cup like they do a marathon.) I drink at the frequency that is likely in the marathon and because I have done miles before, it's relatively close to how I will be feeling and breathing and running in the marathon. 

Really interesting article. I've read sooo much about dehydration and the blood thickening and can't get the oxygen to the muscles yada yada yada. 

Edited by rrrunner 2015-03-02 3:58 PM
2015-03-02 3:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Thoughts?

Really interesting article. I've read sooo much about dehydration and the blood thickening and can't get the nutrients to the muscles yada yada yada. 

Sure. The message isn't really don't drink, but more drink to thirst. Again, making sure you come in well hydrated.

I think athletes tend to go overboard. 

2015-03-02 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thoughts?

Really interesting article. I've read sooo much about dehydration and the blood thickening and can't get the nutrients to the muscles yada yada yada. 

Sure. The message isn't really don't drink, but more drink to thirst. Again, making sure you come in well hydrated.

Good point. I guess I'll start testing that

2015-03-02 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thoughts?

I completely agree with this.  In yesterday's HM there were aid stations every 1.5 miles and I was amazed as some people drank at each one of them.  Obviously, everyone is different, but IMHO that is too much.  

2015-03-02 4:34 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Thoughts?

TJ, I've seen you drink the night before.  You definitely make sure you're well-hydrated!!

2015-03-02 4:44 PM

User image

Seattle

Thoughts?

And I mean, let's use me as an example. I usually have at least two drinks the night before. Sometime 3
2015-03-02 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thoughts?

And I mean, let's use me as an example. I usually have at least two drinks the night before. Sometime 3

i usually have 2 drinks the night before too!

2015-03-02 5:37 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Thoughts?

Drinking to thirst, right?

2015-03-02 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thoughts?

exactly!

2015-03-02 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK Great news - the vet thinks that the lump and fluid in Abbi's leg is an infected lymph node and not bone cancer. Diagnosis is based on the lameness coming after the swelling rather than before. She has had a shot of antibiotics and anti inflammatory. She seems to have improved over he day, but back for more shots tomorrow and then probably then oral antibiotics for a bit.

Whew! 

How's she doing today?

Yeesh X2!!!!

So an update on Abbi. Back to the vet yesterday (Monday) for a follow up visit. Saw a different vet than on Sunday because it was a long weekend here so skeleton staff on. The good news is that her temp is no longer 40+C which it was on Sunday.

But this vet was not at all happy that from my point of view there had been no reduction in the swelling in fact I think it had gotten worse. She gave me the option of daily antibiotic and anti inflammatory injections (and a 45 minute drive each way) or tablets, she actually said the tablets would be better because they would attack a wider range of bacteria. So Abbi is now on them with very strict instructions that if her lameness gets any worse or the swelling does not start to go down by Wednesday I have to take her back for an X-ray to make sure there isn't something "more incideious" going on.

Basically no improvement at all during Monday, but it probably didn't get any worse which is a step in the right direction. But thank the good Lord this morning she I a bit better, the swelling in her foot seems to be a little improved (or I so badly want it to be that I am imagining it), she is up and about and this is gross but there is finially some weeping happening (which was to be expected) which is receiving some of the pressure and swelling.

This whole thing has really scared me. Abbi is over 9 which is pretty good for a Mastiff they very very rarely live this long and I have realised that I am not ready to not have her around.

On another note I might not be around much over the next 2 weeks, the auditors started work on our financial reports yesterday and already I have 4 emails from them requesting further information and clarification. It is not going to be a good couple of weeks.
2015-03-02 5:58 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

Whew! 

How's she doing today?

Yeesh X2!!!!

So an update on Abbi. Back to the vet yesterday (Monday) for a follow up visit. Saw a different vet than on Sunday because it was a long weekend here so skeleton staff on. The good news is that her temp is no longer 40+C which it was on Sunday. But this vet was not at all happy that from my point of view there had been no reduction in the swelling in fact I think it had gotten worse. She gave me the option of daily antibiotic and anti inflammatory injections (and a 45 minute drive each way) or tablets, she actually said the tablets would be better because they would attack a wider range of bacteria. So Abbi is now on them with very strict instructions that if her lameness gets any worse or the swelling does not start to go down by Wednesday I have to take her back for an X-ray to make sure there isn't something "more incideious" going on. Basically no improvement at all during Monday, but it probably didn't get any worse which is a step in the right direction. But thank the good Lord this morning she I a bit better, the swelling in her foot seems to be a little improved (or I so badly want it to be that I am imagining it), she is up and about and this is gross but there is finially some weeping happening (which was to be expected) which is receiving some of the pressure and swelling. This whole thing has really scared me. Abbi is over 9 which is pretty good for a Mastiff they very very rarely live this long and I have realised that I am not ready to not have her around. On another note I might not be around much over the next 2 weeks, the auditors started work on our financial reports yesterday and already I have 4 emails from them requesting further information and clarification. It is not going to be a good couple of weeks.

it sounds like things are finally moving in the right direction for Abbi.  Gunanr ( my german shepherd) is 9 years old too, I can't imagine not having him, so I get your fear.  I'lol keep my fingers crossed that everything continues improving and that the auditors don't drive you too crazy!!

2015-03-02 7:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Thoughts?

exactly!

C'mon...drinking to thrist...and stopping at 2-3??????
2015-03-02 7:09 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Anyone ever have issues with their GSC-10 dropping out?  Mine is dropping out a ton, which is frustrating.  On an intense 90 min trainer ride it added at least five minutes.  I've change the battery twice, and actually right before this ride.  Any ideas as to what's going on?  I might drop this in the TT forum for some input also. Not sure if I need to get a new unit or if there's a fix or what.

2015-03-02 7:36 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Anyone ever have issues with their GSC-10 dropping out?  Mine is dropping out a ton, which is frustrating.  On an intense 90 min trainer ride it added at least five minutes.  I've change the battery twice, and actually right before this ride.  Any ideas as to what's going on?  I might drop this in the TT forum for some input also. Not sure if I need to get a new unit or if there's a fix or what.

I've had this problem in the past. It would drop out for like 5-7 seconds at least 15-20 times over a 60-90 minute trainer ride, and then the next ride would work fine. I tried changing the battery...no help. Lately it's been working great; I have NO idea what changed. You could mess around with the placement of it a bit. Sometimes it's a little sensitive.Sorry I couldn't help more than empathy. :-/

2015-03-02 7:57 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I've had this problem in the past. It would drop out for like 5-7 seconds at least 15-20 times over a 60-90 minute trainer ride, and then the next ride would work fine. I tried changing the battery...no help. Lately it's been working great; I have NO idea what changed. You could mess around with the placement of it a bit. Sometimes it's a little sensitive.Sorry I couldn't help more than empathy. :-/

Is the GPS turned off? They seemed to argue at times. I still ended up getting another unit. Think it was the Wahoo one then. Now it's the Bontrager duo trap as I'm on an SC.

2015-03-02 7:59 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by melbo55

I think our coaches might be in cahoots to kill us both...

And of course I become curious as to what this is.

In my case, it's fitting my long workouts in amongst hockey games. Weekend 1: 2 hour bike before a game, them 9 mile run next day. Weekend 2: 2.5 hr bike with last hour moderately hard, then hockey, then 10 mile run with last 3 miles hard on the next day. Weekend 3: 3 hour ride, then hockey, then 11 mile run the next day, last two miles as hard as possible.  During the week, more interval runs. To me it sounds tough but I got through Feb. and I never thought I would, so surely I will survive March, too.  I know his workouts are making me stronger/faster and will continue to do so.  I really am glad I have a coach this year, I just have to gripe a little.

Do they hurt anything like past 1:14:xx in this

And yes I'm kidding. Some. That's a bit much for every hard workout. 

2015-03-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Is the GPS turned off? They seemed to argue at times. I still ended up getting another unit. Think it was the Wahoo one then. Now it's the Bontrager duo trap as I'm on an SC.

I'm not using the GPS head unit at all.  Just an ANT+ stick in the laptop.  It is VERY frustrating.

2015-03-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

DP

Edited by ponderingfox 2015-03-02 8:00 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15330 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27870 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11796 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66167 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54446 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.