BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-03 12:31 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Heya Manatees I need help, support, advice, scolding whatever.

The good, the bad, the worst ...

Some really heavy stuff here. Been struggling with depression from the illness--bona fide, not just down & tired. While the pain can be worse than bones breaking (not kidding about this) a lot of folks have felt that the emotional effects are worse and last longer.

That being so, and knowing in all aspects of health some days will still be shytty for a while (but I'm overall much better) ...

Crap. Don't know what the fach I'm saying.

I felt OK not good but just fine-OK, phys & otherwise, for the first time in forever today. Also had a med follow-up, results are normal (not good, but OK, just as I am).

Some of you may know or remember (or not) but I do prison rehab stuff here. Two great men I'm honored to call friends, who have changed what used to be one of Asia's largest drug dealing centers (Bali's main jail) into a place where you can get clean/sober, get and offer counseling, take life skills and practical skills classes, and truly endless other things like fundraising for fellow inmates' basic needs (mattresses, soap, enough varied food ... no these are not given to you in Indonesian prison) and urgent extra needs like medical care, surgeries, lifesaving procedures.

10 years ago as incredibly stupid very young men they tried to arrange to take drugs out of Indonesia.

Tomorrow they are being transferred to the execution prison, to be shot.

Their many friends and supporters, including me certainly aren't, can't sleep tonight. Many are gathering at the prison and lighting candles.

I desperately, desperately, desperately want to go.

However, as last-ditch efforts go I feel I can be of more use writing, sharing, and asking people to sign petitions and write too.

And selfishly I feel like I have a tiny thread of health for the first time in weeks, it's a long trip out to the jail, it's also a freaking circus there right now, and I won't be of any use to me, my family, them, or their families or friends if I lose that.

Help. What would you do?

At this point, you need to take care of yourself.  Light candles for them.  Pray for them.  Courier a letter to them. 

2015-03-03 12:33 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday for the results of my scan.  I really wish they could do the scan and results same day.  It is a little nerve racking.

I'm going to go for a short run this morning to test out my sore foot.  Thought I'd go to the track so I could cut it short at anytime and not have to walk far.  This was a good week with 5 rides and 4 swims.  I really need to make some solid gains on the bike.

annnnd?

Well, he starts out with the old "I've got good news and bad news" which is not what I wanted to hear.  Last scan three months ago showed a very small something probably an enlarged lymph node that they wanted to check.  Hope was for it to have returned to normal.  Good news was that it had not grown, bad news was it was still there.  Another followup scan in six months along with parting words of  "don't worry it's probably nothing".  I hate it when they say that.  I didn't sleep well last night and probably wouldn't for a while.  It is almost worse to not know one way or the other.  At least I'm good to go for Boise 70.3 in June.

My foot is still sore.  My 3 mile test run went ok and I'll run this weekend.  Wouldn't race it but just try to get through without doing any damage.  Weather is supposed to be great.  My brother said low 60's.  After the meetup we are going back to his place for bbq and continued rehydration.  Looking forward to seeing you again.

{{hugs}} You know that we are thinking of you!

2015-03-03 12:55 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday for the results of my scan.  I really wish they could do the scan and results same day.  It is a little nerve racking.

I'm going to go for a short run this morning to test out my sore foot.  Thought I'd go to the track so I could cut it short at anytime and not have to walk far.  This was a good week with 5 rides and 4 swims.  I really need to make some solid gains on the bike.

annnnd?

Well, he starts out with the old "I've got good news and bad news" which is not what I wanted to hear.  Last scan three months ago showed a very small something probably an enlarged lymph node that they wanted to check.  Hope was for it to have returned to normal.  Good news was that it had not grown, bad news was it was still there.  Another followup scan in six months along with parting words of  "don't worry it's probably nothing".  I hate it when they say that.  I didn't sleep well last night and probably wouldn't for a while.  It is almost worse to not know one way or the other.  At least I'm good to go for Boise 70.3 in June.

My foot is still sore.  My 3 mile test run went ok and I'll run this weekend.  Wouldn't race it but just try to get through without doing any damage.  Weather is supposed to be great.  My brother said low 60's.  After the meetup we are going back to his place for bbq and continued rehydration.  Looking forward to seeing you again.

Ugh. Well, I will keep my hopes and prayers for you that they are right! About both parts of that, actually. <3

2015-03-03 1:49 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

annnnd?

Dang it on the scan and dang it on the foot.  Here's hoping the spot either disappears or at least stays the same.  But as for your foot - heal that thing up ASAP!

2015-03-03 1:51 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Some really heavy stuff here. Been struggling with depression from the illness--bona fide, not just down & tired. While the pain can be worse than bones breaking (not kidding about this) a lot of folks have felt that the emotional effects are worse and last longer.

That being so, and knowing in all aspects of health some days will still be shytty for a while (but I'm overall much better) ...

I felt OK not good but just fine-OK, phys & otherwise, for the first time in forever today. Also had a med follow-up, results are normal (not good, but OK, just as I am).

Some of you may know or remember (or not) but I do prison rehab stuff here. Two great men I'm honored to call friends, who have changed what used to be one of Asia's largest drug dealing centers (Bali's main jail) into a place where you can get clean/sober, get and offer counseling, take life skills and practical skills classes, and truly endless other things like fundraising for fellow inmates' basic needs (mattresses, soap, enough varied food ... no these are not given to you in Indonesian prison) and urgent extra needs like medical care, surgeries, lifesaving procedures.

10 years ago as incredibly stupid very young men they tried to arrange to take drugs out of Indonesia.

Their many friends and supporters, including me certainly aren't, can't sleep tonight. Many are gathering at the prison and lighting candles.

However, as last-ditch efforts go I feel I can be of more use writing, sharing, and asking people to sign petitions and write too.

And selfishly I feel like I have a tiny thread of health for the first time in weeks, it's a long trip out to the jail, it's also a freaking circus there right now, and I won't be of any use to me, my family, them, or their families or friends if I lose that.

Help. What would you do?

Know you've done all that YOU can do.  And I agree with the others - take your own health and well-being into account, rest at home.  A personal vigil sounds meaningful, and prayers the petitions help.  (((big hugs)))

2015-03-03 1:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

Help. What would you do?

Know you've done all that YOU can do.  And I agree with the others - take your own health and well-being into account, rest at home.  A personal vigil sounds meaningful, and prayers the petitions help.  (((big hugs)))

x2 on that!

2015-03-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Anyone ever have issues with their GSC-10 dropping out?  Mine is dropping out a ton, which is frustrating.  On an intense 90 min trainer ride it added at least five minutes.  I've change the battery twice, and actually right before this ride.  Any ideas as to what's going on?  I might drop this in the TT forum for some input also. Not sure if I need to get a new unit or if there's a fix or what.

In my experience,t he sensor and the magnet have to be really close.  I actually turn it off when I am outside and then have the head unit connect to it again the next time I use the trainer. 

I've had a lot fewer problems since switching to the Domane and the Trek DuoTrap sensor.

the duo trap is one of the slickest things going! Right into the friggin frame! I love mine

Tom, do you have a Trek? The duotrap is fantastic, but it's designed for a cutout in the Trek frames. I brought it up more to quantify why I didn't have another recommendation at the moment. The Wahoo sensor I had been using to replace the GSC-10 (and before getting the Trek) is not listed on their site anymore. At least not that I could see.

I don't have a Trek, so that's not going to work.  I'll play around with placement and other things today, but I might have to get a replacement unit. But if they send me a replacement unit, that will stink, because I'll have to take a week or two off from normal workouts.

I think that Ben mentioned this one http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garmins-spd-cad-magnetless-sensors.html

That was Matt MS. I'm picturing Chris trying to figure out how to get on this good list though.

2015-03-03 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

Thank you also NyNy and Peach Melbo ETA and Salty just posted

I'm talking to and supporting those going to the jail and coming back from it. They're pretty traumatized. Also by all the media in their faces. P.S. And the hundreds of armed forces and riot police now amassed. GOD BLESS THOSE who are going. They remind me of the peace people putting flowers in National Guard guns in the '70s.

That is something I can do.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2015-03-03 2:25 PM
2015-03-03 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I'm talking to and supporting those going to the jail and coming back from it. They're pretty traumatized. Also by all the media in their faces. P.S. And the hundreds of armed forces and riot police now amassed. GOD BLESS THOSE who are going. They remind me of the peace people putting flowers in National Guard guns in the '70s.

Yanti my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else over there. Such a horrible and seemingly helpless situation.

I also want to apologise that Aussies come to your country and too often do stupid, stupid things that totally disrespect your people, your culture, your laws, your country and themselves. I don't know what the answer is for this, I am just very sorry that it happens.
2015-03-03 5:29 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

Yanti my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else over there. Such a horrible and seemingly helpless situation. I also want to apologise that Aussies come to your country and too often do stupid, stupid things that totally disrespect your people, your culture, your laws, your country and themselves. I don't know what the answer is for this, I am just very sorry that it happens.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

The bogans who do that are aholes back home, too. Yes, they do go reckless here with the cheap vice but they cause problems their own citizens have to suffer too.

My apology is that Indonesia's two top leaders have very quickly forgotten the great friend and assistance they've had countless times in Australia. Tony Abbott is just really good at sticking his foot in his mouth in general but fundamentally he was right.

Bali puts up with the bogans not because their money makes them worth the trouble but because believe it or not the good Aussie visitors outnumber the bad, and a surprisingly high proportion of the Aussie expats here actually are involved in community building stuff. In many cases, they are the spearheads. Wealthy Indonesians do NOT do this kind of stuff. Not many. It's growing but it's not the norm.

2015-03-03 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Anyone ever have issues with their GSC-10 dropping out?  Mine is dropping out a ton, which is frustrating.  On an intense 90 min trainer ride it added at least five minutes.  I've change the battery twice, and actually right before this ride.  Any ideas as to what's going on?  I might drop this in the TT forum for some input also. Not sure if I need to get a new unit or if there's a fix or what.

In my experience,t he sensor and the magnet have to be really close.  I actually turn it off when I am outside and then have the head unit connect to it again the next time I use the trainer. 

I've had a lot fewer problems since switching to the Domane and the Trek DuoTrap sensor.

the duo trap is one of the slickest things going! Right into the friggin frame! I love mine

Tom, do you have a Trek? The duotrap is fantastic, but it's designed for a cutout in the Trek frames. I brought it up more to quantify why I didn't have another recommendation at the moment. The Wahoo sensor I had been using to replace the GSC-10 (and before getting the Trek) is not listed on their site anymore. At least not that I could see.

I don't have a Trek, so that's not going to work.  I'll play around with placement and other things today, but I might have to get a replacement unit. But if they send me a replacement unit, that will stink, because I'll have to take a week or two off from normal workouts.

I think that Ben mentioned this one http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garmins-spd-cad-magnetless-sensors.html

I adjusted the magnet, found the reset button (well, lookey there), hit that a few times, even resynced it with the Edge 500, and IT WORKED. No dropouts the entire workout.  Gold.  Reset buttons are useful, go figure. I'm going to dig that old battery out of the trash to use later.

2015-03-04 7:25 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello everyone. I hope all is well. I've been keeping up via email the past couple of days and barely have had time to log in much.

Yanti - I hope that you are doing the best possible, given the trials and tribulations. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Tom - I don't use a cadence sensor at all, heck, I barely use the speedo for anything. So, no help from me.

Steve - I hope that you are doing OK. Keep taking care of your foot and try not to overdo the rehydration 

Mary - I hope you figure out your foam roller concerns. While this group is full of resources, I have a couple of suggestions in general. #1 is to work with your local resources to get yourself straightened out, like your coach, doc, and PT. They have a better grasp of what is going on with you than does internet Dr. Dubsix and his cohorts. Don't be afraid to press them for answers. You PAY them for that. #2 is to keep asking, learning and above all else, thinking. Each of us is a bit different, be it age, gender, athletic background or whatever, we all have different things going on and need to use our knowledge of ourselves to use the input of others wisely.

TJ - I hope your marathon training is going well. You kept popping into my head on my run this morning. It seems to me you have a lot of concerns/questions going on, from plans to hydration, etc. That can be a good or bad thing. Keep training, keep experimenting with things while training, and respect the race, but don't let it become too much. Keep calm and keep going. You'll do fine. Your hydration question made me smile a bit. My hydration plan in the Florida temps and humidity with my ultra cooling body (OK, I sweat a lot) is going to differ from yours. Take everyone's input as a guideline and know that you can build based off of that and your experiences in training. I drink like a fish when I run, and evidently occasionally try to breathe like one 

Ann-Marie - Your return from surgery has been real impressive. Great job coming back strong.

Janyne - I saw a couple of long treadmill runs for you. Wow, I don't know how you do it. Impressive indeed.

Adrienne - Nice new ride!!! I hope it is treating you well and you are breaking it in right. Is it the right combination of style, efficiency, and room? Keep on going up and down those hills and mountains, it is really cool to see from my place in the ultra flat lands.

Robin - I hope your ankle is doing OK in the cold. This has been a pretty rough winter again for everyone. I hope it ends soon for all.

MattMS - Good racing this weekend, it appears that you were able to hit not only the primary goal of staying upright but better yet you got out front in your crit and were able to stay out of any potential mess. I have read a bit about the challenges of Cat 5 racing and it looks interesting. Good job.

Stacey - I hope all is coming along well with the pooch. My heart goes out to you.

I'm sorry if I missed anyone, but I hope all is well for all of the Manatees!

2015-03-04 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Yanti, I'm late to the party, but you're doing the right thing prioritizing your health.  You do so much good for everyone, but you need to give yourself some TLC as well.

I've been plugging away this week as my big build for Rouge Roubaix, which is less than two weeks out.  This is the epic 104 mile race with about 20ish miles of gravel including steep hills in said gravel.  I had a pretty steady workout today.  Tomorrow I'll probably do more sharp VO2 type efforts before resting on Friday.  Then I'll ride 60 miles on Saturday and 100 miles on Sunday with some gravel roads mixed in.  Lots of volume to build my fitness before I taper off again.

There are 75 riders in my race.  They allow CAT 4's in the wave to allow the size to increase.  There's also a 3/4 race, so this field is usually mostly CAT 5's.  My plan is to keep myself in check, but if there's a move I need to go with it as long as I'm in the race.  I'll try to wait a bit longer than 4-5 miles in before doing my trick again 

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-04 9:34 AM
2015-03-04 10:36 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Foam roller controversy update:

I talked with my PT yesterday, who also thought 15 minutes every day was excessive.  She suggested 5-10 min. max so I'm going to do that, alternating days between upper and lower body so there's not so much stress on my shoulder.  She gave me some super dynamic stretches that she's actually been doing every day herself with good results.  I'm looking forward to giving those a try.

I also got an email from Tess, who said I don't need to do 15 min. and to just play around with it to find out what helps.  I'm getting the sense from this and previous workouts that she puts longer times/distances for everything in my training plan with the idea that I'll just do what I can.  I find that a little disconcerting so I'm going to ask her if she's doing that to establish baselines or if that's just her general approach overall.

2015-03-04 10:48 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by laffinrock

I talked with my PT yesterday, who also thought 15 minutes every day was excessive.  She suggested 5-10 min. max so I'm going to do that, alternating days between upper and lower body so there's not so much stress on my shoulder.  She gave me some super dynamic stretches that she's actually been doing every day herself with good results.  I'm looking forward to giving those a try.

I also got an email from Tess, who said I don't need to do 15 min. and to just play around with it to find out what helps.  I'm getting the sense from this and previous workouts that she puts longer times/distances for everything in my training plan with the idea that I'll just do what I can.  I find that a little disconcerting so I'm going to ask her if she's doing that to establish baselines or if that's just her general approach overall.

I know a few coaches that do that.  They schedule a bit more work with each workout knowing the client will miss a workout or two.  If they do them all then bonus fitness for them! (if they don't get injured)

2015-03-04 11:01 AM

User image

Master

Knowing your injuries and limitations, not sure why she would put things on the higher side without clarifying with you that's what they are. She assumed you knew that, while you assumed she was taking them into consideration? And why pay a coach to throw #s out for you to "just play around with"? Guess she could still be figuring you out for a plan?

Hmmmm...

(sorry if that sounds "Negative Nancy", especially since I have no experience with a coach. lol)

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-03-04 11:03 AM

2015-03-04 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I'm currently working my way through Triathletes in Motion.

http://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Motion-Marc-Evans/dp/1450432204/r...

It's quite a comprehensive book (really comprehensive, think college textbook) that covers mobility assessments, triathlon specific stretching and run/bike/swim specific functional strength programs.

I think it may be useful to you.
2015-03-04 11:07 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I adjusted the magnet, found the reset button (well, lookey there), hit that a few times, even resynced it with the Edge 500, and IT WORKED. No dropouts the entire workout.  Gold.  Reset buttons are useful, go figure. I'm going to dig that old battery out of the trash to use later.

I have the garmin magnetless cadence sensor. I found it super easy to set up and switch between bikes. I have had a few issues with trainer road/Zwift where it didn't want to be picked up, but since buying an usb ext. lead, it's been ticketyboo.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2015-03-04 11:08 AM
2015-03-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Hello everyone. I hope all is well. I've been keeping up via email the past couple of days and barely have had time to log in much.

Yanti - I hope that you are doing the best possible, given the trials and tribulations. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Tom - I don't use a cadence sensor at all, heck, I barely use the speedo for anything. So, no help from me.

Steve - I hope that you are doing OK. Keep taking care of your foot and try not to overdo the rehydration 

Mary - I hope you figure out your foam roller concerns. While this group is full of resources, I have a couple of suggestions in general. #1 is to work with your local resources to get yourself straightened out, like your coach, doc, and PT. They have a better grasp of what is going on with you than does internet Dr. Dubsix and his cohorts. Don't be afraid to press them for answers. You PAY them for that. #2 is to keep asking, learning and above all else, thinking. Each of us is a bit different, be it age, gender, athletic background or whatever, we all have different things going on and need to use our knowledge of ourselves to use the input of others wisely.

TJ - I hope your marathon training is going well. You kept popping into my head on my run this morning. It seems to me you have a lot of concerns/questions going on, from plans to hydration, etc. That can be a good or bad thing. Keep training, keep experimenting with things while training, and respect the race, but don't let it become too much. Keep calm and keep going. You'll do fine. Your hydration question made me smile a bit. My hydration plan in the Florida temps and humidity with my ultra cooling body (OK, I sweat a lot) is going to differ from yours. Take everyone's input as a guideline and know that you can build based off of that and your experiences in training. I drink like a fish when I run, and evidently occasionally try to breathe like one 

Ann-Marie - Your return from surgery has been real impressive. Great job coming back strong.

Janyne - I saw a couple of long treadmill runs for you. Wow, I don't know how you do it. Impressive indeed.

Adrienne - Nice new ride!!! I hope it is treating you well and you are breaking it in right. Is it the right combination of style, efficiency, and room? Keep on going up and down those hills and mountains, it is really cool to see from my place in the ultra flat lands.

Robin - I hope your ankle is doing OK in the cold. This has been a pretty rough winter again for everyone. I hope it ends soon for all.

MattMS - Good racing this weekend, it appears that you were able to hit not only the primary goal of staying upright but better yet you got out front in your crit and were able to stay out of any potential mess. I have read a bit about the challenges of Cat 5 racing and it looks interesting. Good job.

Stacey - I hope all is coming along well with the pooch. My heart goes out to you.

I'm sorry if I missed anyone, but I hope all is well for all of the Manatees!

Glad to hear I've gotten in your head

I've been thinking about the hydration thing, and what my internet (invisible) friends said. Also, yesterday I had some windshield time with my new boss, who is also a runner, and mentioned it to him as well. I'm leaning toward carrying my own because I like my Skratch and because I dehydrate easily and if i'm dehydrated it usually means a migraine. I am however, not going to force myself to finish the bottle in 13 miles as I have been. This weekend I have a 15 miler so I'll let the bottle last that long and "see how we go" as our friends across the pond would say.

I've been scoping out some river (Bosque in NM lingo) trails to have new scenery for my runs. Today Aspen and I will go south from where we left off last time.

Mary, glad to hear you are getting some answers.

2015-03-04 12:30 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I'm currently working my way through Triathletes in Motion. http://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Motion-Marc-Evans/dp/1450432204/r... It's quite a comprehensive book (really comprehensive, think college textbook) that covers mobility assessments, triathlon specific stretching and run/bike/swim specific functional strength programs. I think it may be useful to you.

Thanks, Darren.  I'll check it out.  Sounds like an excellent resource.

Erin, I agree with you.  I have been really clear about my injuries and limitations.  It was really frustrating when I first started out with her because she started my workouts based on the max distances I'd done while training for my A race.  That was fine for running but not for biking or swimming because I hadn't rode or swam at all for almost 2 months when I started working with her.  To her credit, since all the recent knee/hip/shoulder stuff, she's backed way off, but there was still the 15 min. foam rolling thing.  It almost feels like I'm telling her what I want and what I can do and she posts the workouts based on that.  Honestly, I can pretty much do that myself.  I guess I hang in there a couple more months and see how it goes as I heal and can get back to doing drills, etc.  That was something I hadn't really done before I started with her.  On the other hand, I could probably figure that out using a training plan....

Ugh.  Sorry to whine.  I'm in a really crappy mood because of work stuff today. 

2015-03-04 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm currently working my way through Triathletes in Motion. http://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Motion-Marc-Evans/dp/1450432204/r... It's quite a comprehensive book (really comprehensive, think college textbook) that covers mobility assessments, triathlon specific stretching and run/bike/swim specific functional strength programs. I think it may be useful to you.

Erin, I agree with you.  I have been really clear about my injuries and limitations.  It was really frustrating when I first started out with her because she started my workouts based on the max distances I'd done while training for my A race.  That was fine for running but not for biking or swimming because I hadn't rode or swam at all for almost 2 months when I started working with her.  To her credit, since all the recent knee/hip/shoulder stuff, she's backed way off, but there was still the 15 min. foam rolling thing.  It almost feels like I'm telling her what I want and what I can do and she posts the workouts based on that.  Honestly, I can pretty much do that myself.  I guess I hang in there a couple more months and see how it goes as I heal and can get back to doing drills, etc.  That was something I hadn't really done before I started with her.  On the other hand, I could probably figure that out using a training plan....

{{HUGS}}

2015-03-04 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The bold are some pretty big points.  I've never had a full time in my time of racing.  I could fill this whole thread with reasons for that, but your second bold statement could really apply to most amateur athletes.  Last year at the gym I swam at, there was a weekly power training class done on watt bikes by a coach that's a pretty big poster on ST.  His workouts were good, and his class was solid, but in the end my conclusion was that I not only had an already had a good idea of how to train for the bike, I had an idea of how to train with power as well.

I feel that coaching in general is overrated for amateurs.  A good training plan (I recommend any of the Matt Fitzgerald plans on Training peaks) would suffice.

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-04 1:56 PM
2015-03-04 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I get that sometimes too.  Something like "ride up to xx minutes" and my mind see that and things that I need to do xx minutes! 

2015-03-04 2:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Happy Most Commanding Day of the Year, everybody!  (Hint: say the date out loud.)

2015-03-04 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have found that life is about relationships. Training is a part of your life. So, the relationships need to be on point, especially with the person that is most helping you train.  My only suggestion on the whole thing is to get that in order, either through repeated heart-to-hearts or replacement (hopefully not needed, but it could be). I do have to also thank you for having this discussion, it is further crystalizing things for me. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15342 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27893 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11804 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66188 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54490 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.