BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Also, speaking of prioritization...

As you all know I have more or less dedicated the next 6 months or so to mountain/trail running. So, I have used that as a filter for making decisions.

Anyway, a big track meet is coming up this weekend. My coach called me to ask me to race. He framed it at first as, "You probably aren't 100% recovered from your half marathon a few weeks ago. Perhaps you might want to try something shorter"

After googling "how to steeplechase" I quickly responded that I didn't really want to compete in the meet (I have a trail 10K) unless maybe I could try the steeplechase  He quickly killed that dream stating that "enough people with a lot of experience have some major issues/injuries." and that I "should probably at least have a technique session before entering a race"

Pssssshhhhhh. Whaaaateeeveerrrrr.

So then he goes in for the kill saying, "Well, you could always run the 10,000. You DO have a title to defend"

That was cold! 

I did, however, manage to say no. At this point, I really do think the trail 10K is a better fit for my overall plan. Not to mention a little less pressure and a lot more fun. But it wasn't exactly easy to keep that exact perspective...

Yikes, fixed barriers are cruel and unforgiving.  I think you are wise to not go there.  Plenty of good trails waiting for you to conquer.  Good luck.

I don't get any credit for not doing the steeplechase. If he would have given his blessing I would have done it

But I do get some credit for not doing the 10,000. I've been sick and the thought of running 25 laps on the track doesn't sound very appealing. At least if I puke on the trails an entire stadium wont see me lol

2015-03-26 2:15 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

As you all know I have more or less dedicated the next 6 months or so to mountain/trail running. So, I have used that as a filter for making decisions.

Anyway, a big track meet is coming up this weekend. My coach called me to ask me to race. He framed it at first as, "You probably aren't 100% recovered from your half marathon a few weeks ago. Perhaps you might want to try something shorter"

After googling "how to steeplechase" I quickly responded that I didn't really want to compete in the meet (I have a trail 10K) unless maybe I could try the steeplechase  He quickly killed that dream stating that "enough people with a lot of experience have some major issues/injuries." and that I "should probably at least have a technique session before entering a race"

So then he goes in for the kill saying, "Well, you could always run the 10,000. You DO have a title to defend"

That was cold! 

I did, however, manage to say no. At this point, I really do think the trail 10K is a better fit for my overall plan. Not to mention a little less pressure and a lot more fun. But it wasn't exactly easy to keep that exact perspective...

Yikes, fixed barriers are cruel and unforgiving.  I think you are wise to not go there.  Plenty of good trails waiting for you to conquer.  Good luck.

I don't get any credit for not doing the steeplechase. If he would have given his blessing I would have done it

But I do get some credit for not doing the 10,000. I've been sick and the thought of running 25 laps on the track doesn't sound very appealing. At least if I puke on the trails an entire stadium wont see me lol

25 laps on a track, speaking of getting sick!

2015-03-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

All in, I swam hard but steady (didn't blow up in the first 50, as I'd done on this course previously).  Biked hard, but steady (very few spikes, close to FTP).  Ben and Matt could probably hold a higher percentage of their calculated FTP, but this was what I could put down on the day.  Ran well and consistently at my 10k pace, but felt again like I would die if the course had been 3.4000000001 miles long.

So, without having set it up that way, "What Ben said" worked for me in that sprint.

Remember to have fun (even if it feels like something very different DURING the race)!

Matt

The running joke here is that I treat every bike split like a FTP test.  It's not far from true, as I'm aiming for .95-100% FTP on most TTs or short course (sprint and Oly) bike legs.  I'd like to aim just a hair over FTP for a 20k, but it's hard for me to do.  I need more VO2 work, which is my focus right now.

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-26 2:26 PM
2015-03-26 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That was cold! 

It was super nice for your coach to think of you for the meet and at least honest of him to about the steeplechase.  The trail 10k does sound more in keeping with your current plan though.  Have fun out there!

2015-03-26 3:03 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by msteiner

All in, I swam hard but steady (didn't blow up in the first 50, as I'd done on this course previously).  Biked hard, but steady (very few spikes, close to FTP).  Ben and Matt could probably hold a higher percentage of their calculated FTP, but this was what I could put down on the day.  Ran well and consistently at my 10k pace, but felt again like I would die if the course had been 3.4000000001 miles long.

So, without having set it up that way, "What Ben said" worked for me in that sprint.

Remember to have fun (even if it feels like something very different DURING the race)!

Matt

The running joke here is that I treat every bike split like a FTP test.  It's not far from true, as I'm aiming for .95-100% FTP on most TTs or short course (sprint and Oly) bike legs.  I'd like to aim just a hair over FTP for a 20k, but it's hard for me to do.  I need more VO2 work, which is my focus right now.

Think I've only matched or beaten 95% twice for a sprint. I should be able to, but also haven't really keyed in on a sprint and seem to find ones with longer bike sections.

2015-03-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by msteiner

Matt

Think I've only matched or beaten 95% twice for a sprint. I should be able to, but also haven't really keyed in on a sprint and seem to find ones with longer bike sections.

I am always frustrated at not being able to go much harder in a sprint tri than an Olympic, but after talking with a high level coach, it's apparently a common problem with triathletes.  We don't have the top end that pure roadies do.

2015-03-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Need a bit of advice:

I'm signed up for a sprint this Saturday (wasn't going to race it, but I succumbed to peer pressure and promises of breakfast afterwards). The weather of late has been glorious...70s and sunny. NOT on Saturday. Overnight lows will be 30 and as the race begins at 8:00 a.m., expected highs during the race will be 40-45 degrees.

The swim is a short indoor pool swim followed by a 12 mile bike. The first 5 miles on the bike will be fast and downhill, whereas the next 7 miles will involve a lot of climbing.

WHAT does one wear for the bike? I'm at a bit of a loss, and I don't have a lot of cooler weather gear. Alas, I think being wet and then going downhill quickly on a bike will cause one to get just a bit chilly. I'm also concerned with the challenge involved in trying to put things on over a wet tri kit.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
2015-03-26 3:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

That was cold! 

What, you don't want to take up gymnastics in addition to your other athletic endeavors?!  That's a great picture, although I don't imagine the athlete felt that way.  Glad you're opting for the trail 10K.  Less pressure and more fun is always a good thing!!

2015-03-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by glfprncs Need a bit of advice: I'm signed up for a sprint this Saturday (wasn't going to race it, but I succumbed to peer pressure and promises of breakfast afterwards). The weather of late has been glorious...70s and sunny. NOT on Saturday. Overnight lows will be 30 and as the race begins at 8:00 a.m., expected highs during the race will be 40-45 degrees. The swim is a short indoor pool swim followed by a 12 mile bike. The first 5 miles on the bike will be fast and downhill, whereas the next 7 miles will involve a lot of climbing. WHAT does one wear for the bike? I'm at a bit of a loss, and I don't have a lot of cooler weather gear. Alas, I think being wet and then going downhill quickly on a bike will cause one to get just a bit chilly. I'm also concerned with the challenge involved in trying to put things on over a wet tri kit. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I did a race last year that was fairly chilly.  I didn't put anything on my legs; just put on a full-zip, long-sleeve cycling jersey in T1.  It looked a little silly over my tri kit but was easy on/easy off and I was warm enough by the time I got to T2 that I ditched it then.  A light-mid weight close-fitting jacket would probably serve the same purpose.  Since it's a fairly short bike, you won't need pockets for anything.  On the other hand, I'm not exactly an expert, having done a grand total of 2 tris.

There's a thread about this topic over in TT if you're interested.

2015-03-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by glfprncs Need a bit of advice: I'm signed up for a sprint this Saturday (wasn't going to race it, but I succumbed to peer pressure and promises of breakfast afterwards). The weather of late has been glorious...70s and sunny. NOT on Saturday. Overnight lows will be 30 and as the race begins at 8:00 a.m., expected highs during the race will be 40-45 degrees. The swim is a short indoor pool swim followed by a 12 mile bike. The first 5 miles on the bike will be fast and downhill, whereas the next 7 miles will involve a lot of climbing. WHAT does one wear for the bike? I'm at a bit of a loss, and I don't have a lot of cooler weather gear. Alas, I think being wet and then going downhill quickly on a bike will cause one to get just a bit chilly. I'm also concerned with the challenge involved in trying to put things on over a wet tri kit. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I did a race last year that was fairly chilly.  I didn't put anything on my legs; just put on a full-zip, long-sleeve cycling jersey in T1.  It looked a little silly over my tri kit but was easy on/easy off and I was warm enough by the time I got to T2 that I ditched it then.  A light-mid weight close-fitting jacket would probably serve the same purpose.  Since it's a fairly short bike, you won't need pockets for anything.  On the other hand, I'm not exactly an expert, having done a grand total of 2 tris.

There's a thread about this topic over in TT if you're interested.

I agree with Mary (of course). Another option is if you have any sleeves. Just roll those puppies right up over wet arms and push them down after you've warmed up on those climbs!

2015-03-26 4:26 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

How did you guys predict your Pikes Peak ascent time? It looks like the rule of thumb is flat marathon + 30 minutes-ish? 

2015-03-26 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

How did you guys predict your Pikes Peak ascent time? It looks like the rule of thumb is flat marathon + 30 minutes-ish? 

I went with my last similar climb grossed up for the additional miles (sorry, I'm an accountant at heart)

It might put me behind some slower folks though because it is significantly slower than my HM + 30

Edited by rrrunner 2015-03-26 4:30 PM
2015-03-26 4:32 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

This is kind of a toughy.  If it was about 10 degrees warmer I'd probably suck it up for the 20 minutes or so of downhill knowing that I'm going to heat up on the hills and be fine from that point on.  40 is still a bit chilly no matter what.  Given that I'd pull something on.  I don't think you'll need much maybe a full sleeve, full zipper cycling jersey or jacket if you have one.  I prefer not having to pull something over my head when I'm wet.  I might get stuck that way and look pretty silly.

Wow, lots of racing action this weekend.  Can't wait for the reports and stories next week.

2015-03-26 4:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

I went with my last similar climb grossed up for the additional miles (sorry, I'm an accountant at heart)

It might put me behind some slower folks though because it is significantly slower than my HM + 30

No. Marathon + 30

2015-03-26 4:35 PM

Master
, California

Revoking my "mostly lurking" status for a moment... if you can get them, put some toe covers on your bike shoes before the race.  Since you put them on beforehand, it doesn't cost any time, and your feet will thank you when you start the run

2015-03-26 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Go to Harris Teeter and get a package of 2 gallon zip lock bags.  Shove a bag under your top.  It will work kind of like a disposable vest.  

2015-03-26 4:46 PM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have toe warmers & a combo cycling jacket/vest. Coworker is loaning me a wool cycling jersey (zip ip). Go with the wool or the wwindjacket?
2015-03-26 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

No. Marathon + 30

Right, right. That's what I meant. I estimated slower than that still. I have HM on the brain because I'm considering a beefed up HM plan for PPA
2015-03-26 5:07 PM

User image

Seattle

No. Marathon + 30

Right, right. That's what I meant. I estimated slower than that still. I have HM on the brain because I'm considering a beefed up HM plan for PPA

I'm probably going to run more of a marathon plan with a ton of hill/mountain running plus hiking. Especially since the time out there is going to be even longer than a marathon.

I think I may have initially read the suggestion wrong and done HM + 30. Which is going to make me look like a fool LOL

I believe they line people up by qualifying time, not projected finish. 

2015-03-26 5:11 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by glfprncs I have toe warmers & a combo cycling jacket/vest. Coworker is loaning me a wool cycling jersey (zip ip). Go with the wool or the wwindjacket?

Depends on your tolerance to cold and how hard you are going to push yourself.  40 is pretty chilly in my book for being on a bike.

2015-03-26 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs I have toe warmers & a combo cycling jacket/vest. Coworker is loaning me a wool cycling jersey (zip ip). Go with the wool or the wwindjacket?

Depends on your tolerance to cold and how hard you are going to push yourself.  40 is pretty chilly in my book for being on a bike.

What do you normally wear for a 40 degree ride?  

2015-03-26 5:55 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

dp

Edited by popsracer 2015-03-26 5:59 PM
2015-03-26 5:57 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jmkizer

I don't ride below about 55.  The coldest race I ever did was Boise 70.3 in 2012.  It was so cold they shortened the bike to 14 miles and some of the pros rode in their wetsuits.  I wore thin compression socks under my wetsuit and a cycling jersey.  It wasn't too bad. I think temps were around 40 but it was windy and raining.  Coming out of T1

(boise.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
boise.jpg (25KB - 4 downloads)
2015-03-26 5:58 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Depending on the day, you might also want some full-finger gloves.  You won't need your fingers for running but you will in T2.  If they're numb from the cold, changing your shoes will be tough and you might end up stuck in your helmet because you can't unfasten it.  (Okay maybe not getting stuck in your helmet, but I'll bet it's happened to somebody. )

2015-03-26 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

I don't ride below about 55.  The coldest race I ever did was Boise 70.3 in 2012.  It was so cold they shortened the bike to 14 miles and some of the pros rode in their wetsuits.  I wore thin compression socks under my wetsuit and a cycling jersey.  It wasn't too bad. I think temps were around 40 but it was windy and raining.  Coming out of T1

hahaha!  I didn't mean you, Steve, I meant Nancy!  So Nancy, what do you normally wear on the bike in the winter?  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15337 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27884 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11799 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66180 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54469 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.