BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-28 5:07 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by Jet BlackChecking in. Race went very well. I think I left some time on the bike course and maybe the run but overall I can't complain. Finished 12th overall and 4th in my age group. Was hoping for top 10 & top 3 but oh well. It was fun when it was over but I definitely thought to myself halfway through the run, "why am I doing this to myself?" Lol
Great job! Podiums...Meh those are the goals you can't really control. Kinda sorta wondering why you are doing it is a good sign of a solid effort

2015-03-28 5:08 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by glfprncsSurvived this morning's very cold T1. Ended up wearing a windbreaker, full gloves, and full shoe covers and was actually pretty comfortable. Lots of headwind on the bike (the entire uphill section was into the wind), but am pleased overall. Best tri run I've had to date. Left considerable time in transition, but finished 3rd AG (30 sec behind 2nd and 2:30 behind 1st).
awesome! We're you happy with what you ended up wearing? Nice work.
2015-03-28 6:07 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Asalzwed I left not an ounce on the course. Actually, I was running on fumes. My personal goal was to taken down the course record. I and 2 other woman all did. I'm super happy with my performance. I think maybe if I'm feeling better I have another minute to shave off but there are plenty of races. I ended up 9th overall and 3rd woman I believe. I think 1 in AG. I was only a little under 2 minutes back from my teammate who's a 1:16 half marathonner. So, definitely able to close the gap a little in the woods. My number one accomplishmentioned was not falling down the stairs. Yes, there were a few sets of steep mossy wood steps on course. Gotta love trail running!

Yikes - that sounds like a challenging course!  Super impressive run - course record!  Suh-weeeeeet!!!

How do you feel after, given you left it all out there?  Will you adjust your next week's plan at all?

Matt

I feel exhausted lol. I have some planned recovery running for the next few days and then business as usual. Adjusting as needed.
2015-03-28 8:26 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Took four days for a family trip since T is on break. Even though things didn't go exactly as planned (stuck truck, sand storm, broken tent), we had an amazing time exploring new roads and destinations. 1200+ total, with 300+ dirt and trails, we explored Glen Canyon around Lake Powell...up to Capitol Reef National Park...down to Bullfrog Marina...up/around to Hite...down to Monument Valley...and home. So many trails to go back and try! And so much beauty and diversity.

Now back to reality...and running.

(20150324_164311.jpg)

(20150325_123453.jpg)

(20150325_154350.jpg)

(IMG_4089353299850.jpg)

(20150325_142419.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150324_164311.jpg (55KB - 3 downloads)
20150325_123453.jpg (70KB - 2 downloads)
20150325_154350.jpg (62KB - 3 downloads)
IMG_4089353299850.jpg (28KB - 3 downloads)
20150325_142419.jpg (42KB - 3 downloads)
2015-03-29 12:58 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Wowee! Nice racing today, Adrienne, Sean and Nancy  Plans working and no obvious glitches. WIN!

Judi, looks like you made a good choice today and moving towards your racing future.

2015-03-29 6:45 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Took four days for a family trip since T is on break. Even though things didn't go exactly as planned (stuck truck, sand storm, broken tent), we had an amazing time exploring new roads and destinations. 1200+ total, with 300+ dirt and trails, we explored Glen Canyon around Lake Powell...up to Capitol Reef National Park...down to Bullfrog Marina...up/around to Hite...down to Monument Valley...and home. So many trails to go back and try! And so much beauty and diversity.

This is AWESOME!! What great parents y'all are to get your kids out to explore the this beautiful planet!

2015-03-29 6:47 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I left not an ounce on the course. Actually, I was running on fumes. My personal goal was to taken down the course record. I and 2 other woman all did. I'm super happy with my performance. I think maybe if I'm feeling better I have another minute to shave off but there are plenty of races. I ended up 9th overall and 3rd woman I believe. I think 1 in AG. I was only a little under 2 minutes back from my teammate who's a 1:16 half marathonner. So, definitely able to close the gap a little in the woods. My number one accomplishment was not falling down the stairs. Yes, there were a few sets of steep mossy wood steps on course. Gotta love trail running!

What an awesome effort Adrienne!!! You are a bamf!!!
2015-03-29 7:22 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Checking in. Race went very well. I think I left some time on the bike course and maybe the run but overall I can't complain. Finished 12th overall and 4th in my age group. Was hoping for top 10 & top 3 but oh well. It was fun when it was over but I definitely thought to myself halfway through the run, "why am I doing this to myself?" Lol

That's great!  Terrific finish for any race, but for a first?  Awesome.

Did you learn a bit more about pacing from it?

Oh, and if you didn't feel like that on the run, then it wasn't a race.  

Matt

Thanks!

Yes I learned a lot about pacing. It's obvious but it really hit me that I'm not going to be able to really give an optimum all out effort unless I'm practicing to do so. The 20 week HIM plan that I'm following rarely, if ever, has me go at 5k pace or sprint distance on the bike. Without doing lots of maximum effort practice you can't expect to go out and nail a maximum effort sprint race like that.

With that said, I think I did just about as good as I could have, save for maybe a few seconds to a minute on the bike. At first I was just trying to recover from the swim but was still ticking away at 22-23 mph which was my goal so I was happy. Got passed by a few fast guys but the last guy that passed me never got more than 20 yards in front of me. I was still doing 22-23 so I was happy to sit there but at some point I realized I wasn't in pain anymore and that I had stopped racing. So boom, upped the effort for the rest of the bike but there was only a few miles left at that point.
2015-03-29 11:58 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by glfprncs Survived this morning's very cold T1. Ended up wearing a windbreaker, full gloves, and full shoe covers and was actually pretty comfortable. Lots of headwind on the bike (the entire uphill section was into the wind), but am pleased overall. Best tri run I've had to date. Left considerable time in transition, but finished 3rd AG (30 sec behind 2nd and 2:30 behind 1st).

Congrats on a great race.  Sounds like you made good choices and being at the top end of your AG is awesome.  Nice early season race.

2015-03-29 12:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed I left not an ounce on the course. Actually, I was running on fumes. My personal goal was to taken down the course record. I and 2 other woman all did. I'm super happy with my performance. I think maybe if I'm feeling better I have another minute to shave off but there are plenty of races. I ended up 9th overall and 3rd woman I believe. I think 1 in AG. I was only a little under 2 minutes back from my teammate who's a 1:16 half marathonner. So, definitely able to close the gap a little in the woods. My number one accomplishment was not falling down the stairs. Yes, there were a few sets of steep mossy wood steps on course. Gotta love trail running!

Way to go Adrienne.  What a great performance.  Your teammate's going to start looking over her shoulder soon.  Glad to hear you had no mishaps.  Those mossy steps could have been trouble at the pace you were going.  And I miss running the trails.  Haven't been in the woods in several weeks.

2015-03-29 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That looks like an incredible trip.  So much to see in that part of the country.  Great pictures.

We are going to be touring around the parks near St. George week after next after a few days in Vegas.  Can't wait. 

2015-03-29 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by Jet Black Checking in. Race went very well. I think I left some time on the bike course and maybe the run but overall I can't complain. Finished 12th overall and 4th in my age group. Was hoping for top 10 & top 3 but oh well. It was fun when it was over but I definitely thought to myself halfway through the run, "why am I doing this to myself?" Lol

Matt

Thanks! Yes I learned a lot about pacing. It's obvious but it really hit me that I'm not going to be able to really give an optimum all out effort unless I'm practicing to do so. The 20 week HIM plan that I'm following rarely, if ever, has me go at 5k pace or sprint distance on the bike. Without doing lots of maximum effort practice you can't expect to go out and nail a maximum effort sprint race like that. With that said, I think I did just about as good as I could have, save for maybe a few seconds to a minute on the bike. At first I was just trying to recover from the swim but was still ticking away at 22-23 mph which was my goal so I was happy. Got passed by a few fast guys but the last guy that passed me never got more than 20 yards in front of me. I was still doing 22-23 so I was happy to sit there but at some point I realized I wasn't in pain anymore and that I had stopped racing. So boom, upped the effort for the rest of the bike but there was only a few miles left at that point.

Wow Sean.  What a great effort.  That is some serious speed on the bike.  Sounds like just a super race all around.  Can't wait hear a little more about the swim and the run.  I know exactly what you mean about specificity of training for different types of events as I was on the other side of it.  I had a good run yesterday but the lack of miles and long runs limited me.  It is tough to follow an HIM plan and be sharp at other ends of the spectrum.  Just not enough hours in the day. 

2015-03-29 12:36 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey all, I finished this morning with my best ever 5K effort. Looking back at it, I think there is some more out there to get. However, all in all, I am REALLY happy with how my run went. I'll get it all thought through and picked over tomorrow and the RR will be up. But now, housework and reality.

2015-03-29 2:27 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Jet Black

Matt

Thanks! Yes I learned a lot about pacing. It's obvious but it really hit me that I'm not going to be able to really give an optimum all out effort unless I'm practicing to do so. The 20 week HIM plan that I'm following rarely, if ever, has me go at 5k pace or sprint distance on the bike. Without doing lots of maximum effort practice you can't expect to go out and nail a maximum effort sprint race like that. With that said, I think I did just about as good as I could have, save for maybe a few seconds to a minute on the bike. At first I was just trying to recover from the swim but was still ticking away at 22-23 mph which was my goal so I was happy. Got passed by a few fast guys but the last guy that passed me never got more than 20 yards in front of me. I was still doing 22-23 so I was happy to sit there but at some point I realized I wasn't in pain anymore and that I had stopped racing. So boom, upped the effort for the rest of the bike but there was only a few miles left at that point.

Wow Sean.  What a great effort.  That is some serious speed on the bike.  Sounds like just a super race all around.  Can't wait hear a little more about the swim and the run.  I know exactly what you mean about specificity of training for different types of events as I was on the other side of it.  I had a good run yesterday but the lack of miles and long runs limited me.  It is tough to follow an HIM plan and be sharp at other ends of the spectrum.  Just not enough hours in the day. 

Thanks so much. I'll do the full RR tomorrow when I'm on a proper computer. I can't wait to hear more about your run!
2015-03-29 2:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by cdban66

Hey all, I finished this morning with my best ever 5K effort. Looking back at it, I think there is some more out there to get. However, all in all, I am REALLY happy with how my run went. I'll get it all thought through and picked over tomorrow and the RR will be up. But now, housework and reality.

That is so great Chris! I'm so happy for you, and how exciting that you know there's more out there for you to get! Way to go!
2015-03-29 6:49 PM

User image

Seattle

super exciting Chris. You ARE a young professional!

2015-03-29 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations!!  Very well done 

2015-03-29 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Survived this morning's very cold T1. Ended up wearing a windbreaker, full gloves, and full shoe covers and was actually pretty comfortable. Lots of headwind on the bike (the entire uphill section was into the wind), but am pleased overall. Best tri run I've had to date. Left considerable time in transition, but finished 3rd AG (30 sec behind 2nd and 2:30 behind 1st).

Glad you survived the cold!  And, bonus points for the AG placement!!

2015-03-29 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed I left not an ounce on the course. Actually, I was running on fumes. My personal goal was to taken down the course record. I and 2 other woman all did. I'm super happy with my performance. I think maybe if I'm feeling better I have another minute to shave off but there are plenty of races. I ended up 9th overall and 3rd woman I believe. I think 1 in AG. I was only a little under 2 minutes back from my teammate who's a 1:16 half marathonner. So, definitely able to close the gap a little in the woods. My number one accomplishment was not falling down the stairs. Yes, there were a few sets of steep mossy wood steps on course. Gotta love trail running!

Another awesome race - congratulations!!

2015-03-29 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sounds like another fantastic family trip!!  Now enjoy the reality check :0

2015-03-29 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations Chris!  I'm so happy that you are happy with the result - which since it is your best ever 5k time you better be 

2015-03-29 7:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Some of you know that I have a friend who plans on hiking the Appalachian Trail.  This weekend I took her and another friend, who is hiking the first 10 days (about 140 miles) with her, to the start.  I am so excited for her adventure and I little jealous too!  Although, I really can't wrap my head around the idea of hiking every day (except for the few and far b/w days off the trail in a trail town resupplying and showering and eating real food) for about 6 months!  For those unfamiliar with the AT, it starts in northern Georgia and almost 2200 miles, ends in Maine. I think about 80% of the intended through hikers drop out - the first in the first 100 miles!  It is quite the undertaking.

Most who hike the trail blog about it on trailjournals.com.  I think it is very interesting reading the various accounts.  For anyone who's interested, here is the link to my friends log     To go live on the website, you have to send the administrator 3 entries and then subsequent ones go up as you upload them.  So the first 3 are usually about the person prep and decision to take on the challenge.   Her first, I'm actually hiking entry is from yesterday's hike of the 8.9 approach trail and 1 mile on the AT.  I did this with them.  It was awesome, but I am happy to be home in a nice warm, dry house with indoor plumbing a a bed! 

Edited by amd723 2015-03-29 7:12 PM
2015-03-29 8:05 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by amd723

Some of you know that I have a friend who plans on hiking the Appalachian Trail.  This weekend I took her and another friend, who is hiking the first 10 days (about 140 miles) with her, to the start.  I am so excited for her adventure and I little jealous too!  Although, I really can't wrap my head around the idea of hiking every day (except for the few and far b/w days off the trail in a trail town resupplying and showering and eating real food) for about 6 months!  For those unfamiliar with the AT, it starts in northern Georgia and almost 2200 miles, ends in Maine. I think about 80% of the intended through hikers drop out - the first in the first 100 miles!  It is quite the undertaking.

Most who hike the trail blog about it on trailjournals.com.  I think it is very interesting reading the various accounts.  For anyone who's interested, here is the link to my friends log     To go live on the website, you have to send the administrator 3 entries and then subsequent ones go up as you upload them.  So the first 3 are usually about the person prep and decision to take on the challenge.   Her first, I'm actually hiking entry is from yesterday's hike of the 8.9 approach trail and 1 mile on the AT.  I did this with them.  It was awesome, but I am happy to be home in a nice warm, dry house with indoor plumbing a a bed! 

That is so incredible. I spend more and more time on the trail (am packing right this minute in fact) and can't fathom a thru hike. I think it's the solitude I would struggle with. Logging the miles day after day seems less daunting than going days or even weeks without encourtering someone. Sheesh, even my 100+ mile stint on the PCT will be run and therefore expedited. Best wishes to your friend. I imagine it will be a life changing experience. Man, how often can we embark on that by choice?
2015-03-29 8:54 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by amd723

2015-03-29 11:43 PM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS SALTY!!!!!

Heh, haven't broken that one out in a while ... I even think she looks like you although you're a little more forward in the upper body and with less body English.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15344 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27899 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11804 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66198 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54506 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.