BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-02-23 11:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

All fresh and new and squeaky clean. I hope to be there soon!

2015-02-23 11:30 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

And Pops, I do hope you post the pics of your impossible race here! 'twould be a great kick-off for this thread

2015-02-23 11:33 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Jet Black

Ok pod, I need some help. I keep getting flats on my bike. At first I thought it was just bad luck but now I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong or something. It's always my rear tire. Two flats Sunday in 2.5 hrs, one flat Saturday in just under and hour (that one cut my ride short because I only had one spare so I turned around). One flat the ride before that. Out of the dozen or so rides I've done since getting the bike, I've had a flat on the rear tire more times than not. I'm thinking either the tubes I'm buying are garbage or there's something wrong with my wheel? I've just been throwing the tubes away but I guess I should be trying to find out if they're popping in the same spot every time before getting rid of them?

I don't know what it is but of the ten or so flats I've had over the years I have never flatted the front.  Just once I'd llike to go through the change task without getting greasy fingers.  As others have said, my first guess is there is still something in there that is not easily seen.  Second guess would be worn or misaligned rim tape.  Better in training than in a race.  Hope you get this years flat out of your system now.

Hope you get get to try that without actually going through a front flat out on the ride. They can be a lot harder to control than a rear flat.

2015-02-23 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

And Pops, I do hope you post the pics of your impossible race here! 'twould be a great kick-off for this thread

I'm trying but not good at this.  2nd attempt.

(fl race.jpg)

(fl 2.jpg)

(fl 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fl race.jpg (83KB - 68 downloads)
fl 2.jpg (161KB - 69 downloads)
fl 3.jpg (215KB - 67 downloads)
2015-02-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Matt MS,

Having nightmares yet about forgetting shoes, flatting, or getting dropped because you bonk?    You've put in some hard hard work and you're gonna be great. I can't wait to read your first RR!

Edited by laffinrock 2015-02-23 11:42 AM
2015-02-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Wow, beautiful!!  Looks like that hill in the middle picture was brutal; everybody's quads were clearly suffering.

2015-02-23 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The course (and runners) look stunning!!!!!!!!!

2015-02-23 11:47 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Wow, beautiful!!  Looks like that hill in the middle picture was brutal; everybody's quads were clearly suffering.

x2. Damn! Some serious determination there.

2015-02-23 11:47 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Awesome pics!!  That looks like a fantastic route.

MattMS - that feeling is why (many of us) do this!  Psyched for you and your race.

Yanti, as ever, heal quickly please.  mkay?!?

Matt

2015-02-23 11:54 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

MattMS - that feeling is why (many of us) do this!  Psyched for you and your race.

Matt

Workin' on it, trying to work on it wisely ... nice to see you putting some thought into things, too makes ME think ... think that I should do me some thinkin', too, sometimes!

IM Taiwan is totally up in the air. A chunk of my event costs are sponsored so I'll have to put in an appearance and network regardless, will very likely do the swim, possibly do as I did in Malaysia and just see how far I can get on the bike.

But I really know how to pick 'em. Malaysia had flying zombie monkeys coming at you, and IMTW has this bike turnaround after 150km ... boy that's gonna be fun. Good thing I don't plan on getting there

(IMTWDamnBikeTurn.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMTWDamnBikeTurn.jpg (93KB - 52 downloads)
2015-02-23 11:55 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Steve: that looks brutally fun and beautiful!  Good job putting a pic of you looking fresh and another of others suffering!

MattMS: that is SO exciting!  No doubt all those hard workouts you've put in will pay off.  Just keep the rubber side down and be careful in bottle hand-up zones, if any.

Yanti: easy does it, girl.  Slow and steady recovery.

Nancy: great job on the races and encouragement over the weekend!  Teenagers (eye roll)

Mary: glad to hear you are getting a little more activity added to your recovery efforts.  Patience, patience.

MadMath: good to see you pop in for a visit and glad to see things are coming around for you.  Kayak season is coming soon!

TJ: I got nuttin' on your run plans, so I'll leave that to the experts.

Sean: you've already received great advice/tips on your flatting issue, so I'll just add this: think of all the experience you are banking changing a rear tire! You will be a pro in no time!  Now check those tires/rims and stop getting flats, mkay?

Also: Girl Scout cookies are evil, but I think we all know that.

Edited by melbo55 2015-02-23 11:56 AM

2015-02-23 11:57 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Matt

Workin' on it, trying to work on it wisely ... nice to see you putting some thought into things, too makes ME think ... think that I should do me some thinkin', too, sometimes!

IM Taiwan is totally up in the air. A chunk of my event costs are sponsored so I'll have to put in an appearance and network regardless, will very likely do the swim, possibly do as I did in Malaysia and just see how far I can get on the bike.

But I really know how to pick 'em. Malaysia had flying zombie monkeys coming at you, and IMTW has this bike turnaround after 150km ... boy that's gonna be fun. Good thing I don't plan on getting there

That is pure madness requiring racers to navigate steps up AND down in bike shoes.  It would be an interesting part of the course to spectate!

2015-02-23 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow!!

2015-02-23 12:10 PM

User image

Seattle

Had an awesome charity hockey game. Again thank you to you Manatees who supported us. I believe our team raised about 16,000 dollars for nearly a year of support for families staying in the Ronald McDonald house.

I scored a sweet redirection goal (from my defense at the point) and then our game went into a shootout! 3 players from each team were selected to shoot, and I was one of them. 

I tried my trusty forehand fake, bring it hard across the body and backhand it around the goalie but due to not playing in a year I think I was lacking a little finesse and was rejected by the goalie. Luckily, our 3rd girl made it and we won! 

And for the trail race, wooooweeee what a course! Lord Hill, as you might think, is a hell of a hill! The course was about 2K elevation in 2 miles and then a longer 3 mile descent to net zero. I got a little lost and ended up doing 3/4 of an extra loop (my fault) and then was stopped by a course marshal who thought I was going the wrong way (I wasn't, his fault.)  But I won women's overall and only 10 seconds from beating the dudes. If I had known the course a little better I think I could have taken down the course record, too. Next time! 

Here's a shot of part of "Lord Hill" 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-02-23 12:21 PM
2015-02-23 12:12 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Had an awesome charity hockey game. Again thank you to you Manatees who supported us. I believe our team raised about 16,000 dollars for nearly a year of support for families staying in the Ronald McDonald house.

I scored a sweet redirection goal (from my defense at the point) and then our game went into a shootout! 3 players from each team were selected to shoot, and I was one of them. 

I tried my trusty forehand fake, bring it hard across the body and backhand it around the goalie but due to not playing in a year I think I was lacking a little finesse and was rejected by the goalie. Luckily, our 3rd girl made it and we won! 

And for the trail race, wooooweeee what a course! Lord Hill, as you might think, is a hell of a hill! The course was about 2K elevation in 2 miles and then a longer 3 mile descent to net zero. I got a little lost and ended up doing 3/4 of an extra loop (my fault) and then was stopped by a course marshal who thought I was going the wrong way (I wasn't, his fault.)  But I won women's overall and only 10 seconds from beating the dudes. If I had known the course a little better I think I could have taken down the course record, too. Next time! 

Awesome, awesome, awesome, a little LOL on the lost (hey ... you were just faking out the course like you did the goal shot ... right? ), and awesome!!!

2015-02-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Katy, Texas
Busy Monday morning!

Yanti - hope you continue to improve (quickly)!

MattTX - Awesome! Just don't beat me too badly! What age group are you?

MattMS - Kick some tail!

Steve - I'll say it again, I like you but you're crazy! Awesome pics!

Thanks for all the advice on my flat issues, and yes, I'm pretty fast at changing it now lol!

2015-02-23 12:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

Can't wait to read up on this!

2015-02-23 12:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Matt

Huh.  Didn't know they did IM-length cyclocross races.  

If you decide to participate in IMTW, please note the following:  You are NOT allowed to crash out of this race, nor are ER visits or medic assistance to be required after you stop.  Got it?!   Is Kingsley planning on doing it?

2015-02-23 12:18 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by melbo55

Matt

That is pure madness requiring racers to navigate steps up AND down in bike shoes.  It would be an interesting part of the course to spectate!

That's like a cyclocross obstacle!!

2015-02-23 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a weekend of AH-mazing!!!!!!! Congrats on the goal. So cool. And the trail race?! First OA woman is nothing to balk at, although beating the men too would've been cool. Too bad on the mix-up. Congrats on two great events!!!!!!!!

2015-02-23 12:27 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Huge congrats Adrienne! That's awesome! Even though you didn't officially beat all the dudes, you know you really did!

2015-02-23 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Congrats on the game and the race.  You're becoming quite the trail racer.  Hope to see you in a few weeks at LK Sam. 

2015-02-23 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TJ,

Regarding the training plans, I like Hal's weekdays with different distances (different purposes?) and RW's weekends.  Are all of the runs on both plans steady state or do some have a speedwork component?

2015-02-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

TJ,

Regarding the training plans, I like Hal's weekdays with different distances (different purposes?) and RW's weekends.  Are all of the runs on both plans steady state or do some have a speedwork component?

The only specifics in either plan are the TT and strides which are both in the RW plan.

2015-02-23 1:12 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

TJ,

I like that the RW has some faster work in it. Strides a few days a week would be good. Consider putting that into the Higdon. The TT as well. Unsure of which is better for TJ, adding in another smaller run or adding the faster part into an existing run.

The RW long run takes everything that was previously not liked about the LR and makes it worse. The LR goes from 40-50% of the weekly mileage up to 50-60%. Tthe extra mileage of RW comes from the longer LR's. It was also worse about bridging the gap between the other runs and the long run. Higdon goes from 50% longer than that weekday up to 2x as long by the end. RW varies from 3x-4x throughout the whole plan.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15303 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27816 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11770 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66021 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54311 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.