BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-04 5:50 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Foam roller controversy update:

I talked with my PT yesterday, who also thought 15 minutes every day was excessive.  She suggested 5-10 min. max so I'm going to do that, alternating days between upper and lower body so there's not so much stress on my shoulder.  She gave me some super dynamic stretches that she's actually been doing every day herself with good results.  I'm looking forward to giving those a try.

I also got an email from Tess, who said I don't need to do 15 min. and to just play around with it to find out what helps.  I'm getting the sense from this and previous workouts that she puts longer times/distances for everything in my training plan with the idea that I'll just do what I can.  I find that a little disconcerting so I'm going to ask her if she's doing that to establish baselines or if that's just her general approach overall.

I'm currently working my way through Triathletes in Motion. http://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Motion-Marc-Evans/dp/1450432204/r... It's quite a comprehensive book (really comprehensive, think college textbook) that covers mobility assessments, triathlon specific stretching and run/bike/swim specific functional strength programs. I think it may be useful to you.

Thanks, Darren.  I'll check it out.  Sounds like an excellent resource.

Erin, I agree with you.  I have been really clear about my injuries and limitations.  It was really frustrating when I first started out with her because she started my workouts based on the max distances I'd done while training for my A race.  That was fine for running but not for biking or swimming because I hadn't rode or swam at all for almost 2 months when I started working with her.  To her credit, since all the recent knee/hip/shoulder stuff, she's backed way off, but there was still the 15 min. foam rolling thing.  It almost feels like I'm telling her what I want and what I can do and she posts the workouts based on that.  Honestly, I can pretty much do that myself.  I guess I hang in there a couple more months and see how it goes as I heal and can get back to doing drills, etc.  That was something I hadn't really done before I started with her.  On the other hand, I could probably figure that out using a training plan....

Ugh.  Sorry to whine.  I'm in a really crappy mood because of work stuff today. 

I have found that life is about relationships. Training is a part of your life. So, the relationships need to be on point, especially with the person that is most helping you train.  My only suggestion on the whole thing is to get that in order, either through repeated heart-to-hearts or replacement (hopefully not needed, but it could be). I do have to also thank you for having this discussion, it is further crystalizing things for me. 

I agree.  It takes a while to develop a rapport with your coach.

To me, one of the big values have coaching is when I am training for multiple events at a time.  For example, if I am training for a marathon and also doing an HIM four or five weeks later.  How do you get in enough of everything to make it work?  

2015-03-04 10:22 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

I talked with my PT yesterday, who also thought 15 minutes every day was excessive.  She suggested 5-10 min. max so I'm going to do that, alternating days between upper and lower body so there's not so much stress on my shoulder.  She gave me some super dynamic stretches that she's actually been doing every day herself with good results.  I'm looking forward to giving those a try.

I also got an email from Tess, who said I don't need to do 15 min. and to just play around with it to find out what helps.  I'm getting the sense from this and previous workouts that she puts longer times/distances for everything in my training plan with the idea that I'll just do what I can.  I find that a little disconcerting so I'm going to ask her if she's doing that to establish baselines or if that's just her general approach overall.

I have to agree with both Matt and Erin. Some coaches do put in more than what they want their athlete to accomplish. Other coaches put things in on the higher side without telling why. These coaches make me wonder if they are looking at the individual and making individual training plans or just making a blanket plan for all.

My coach knows my injury and works around it. He was the masters coach when I joined the team after I was cleared to start swimming after my surgery. He watched me learn how to walk again and then taught me how to run again. He knows what my limitations are and when to put limitations on me because I won't do that myself. He also knows when to push. While others have stopped training with him because for whatever reasons, he knows me and I know he won't give me a blanket plan but train me as I am.

You're coach needs to know you. Train you and not others. Can you sit down with her and let her know how you feel?

{{hugs}}}
2015-03-05 7:50 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'm on the health committee at my church, and I'm in charge of coordinating activities and events to get people active.  I was thinking of highlighting different 5Ks through the summer, especially ones that support good causes.  Maybe some shorter, family-oriented bike rides also.  Does anyone have any ideas of things that I should promote or include?

2015-03-05 8:23 AM
in reply to: #5095426

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Are you familiar with Run for God? They have Bible study training plans for 5K's and for Triathlon.
2015-03-05 8:44 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I'm on the health committee at my church, and I'm in charge of coordinating activities and events to get people active.  I was thinking of highlighting different 5Ks through the summer, especially ones that support good causes.  Maybe some shorter, family-oriented bike rides also.  Does anyone have any ideas of things that I should promote or include?

One  up here has some good pizza post race. Another looks to have some Easter candy. This is how my thought process goes.

2015-03-05 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Tom, as an athelete, I begin at the "doing activities" point. We go through this at work every year at insurance signup time and fail miserably. It may be beneficial to offer other items as part of the well rounded health approach. Think of things like mental health, nutrition, etc, and (I dread to mention it) insurance and how it can/should be used.

Just some other items to cloud up the whole thing 

Edited by cdban66 2015-03-05 8:45 AM

2015-03-05 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Tom, as an athelete, I begin at the "doing activities" point. We go through this at work every year at insurance signup time and fail miserably. It may be beneficial to offer other items as part of the well rounded health approach. Think of things like mental health, nutrition, etc, and (I dread to mention it) insurance and how it can/should be used.

Just being active is a good place to start.  That's why I'm thinking shorter events.  Short run/walk events are great.  So are 'Let's Move' days - days for getting out and doing something, anything, active.

Other parts of health so far as proper diet, health fairs, lifestyle considerations, are being covered by other members of the committee and other programs.

2015-03-05 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Just being active is a good place to start.  That's why I'm thinking shorter events.  Short run/walk events are great.  So are 'Let's Move' days - days for getting out and doing something, anything, active.

Other parts of health so far as proper diet, health fairs, lifestyle considerations, are being covered by other members of the committee and other programs.

Sweet!!! It looks like you all are on the way!

2015-03-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by fortissimo

I have to agree with both Matt and Erin. Some coaches do put in more than what they want their athlete to accomplish. Other coaches put things in on the higher side without telling why. These coaches make me wonder if they are looking at the individual and making individual training plans or just making a blanket plan for all. My coach knows my injury and works around it. He was the masters coach when I joined the team after I was cleared to start swimming after my surgery. He watched me learn how to walk again and then taught me how to run again. He knows what my limitations are and when to put limitations on me because I won't do that myself. He also knows when to push. While others have stopped training with him because for whatever reasons, he knows me and I know he won't give me a blanket plan but train me as I am. You're coach needs to know you. Train you and not others. Can you sit down with her and let her know how you feel? {{hugs}}}

After reevaluating my goals and looking at where I'm at physically, I've decided to put the coaching on hold.  My motivation for getting a coach was to avoid getting hurt in the off season while I was training for a HM.  For a variety of reasons, that didn't work out.  I've been sidelined for the past several months and having a coach during that time hasn't been helpful.  Now I'm back in roughly the same place I was at last year, rebuilding base.  I know how to do that and don't need to pay a coach to tell me "Do PT as directed and ease back into running/swimming/biking" for the next 8 weeks.  I sent Tess an email last night telling her that and basically saying, "I'll call you when I'm ready to do coaching again." I might take a few private swimming lessons from her in the future; she's really knowledgeable and could definitely help me with my weakest area.

I'm considering joining a local women's team where I can get in-person coaching plus the benefit of having others to train with but I'll wait until I have some better strength/endurance before I make a decision.  It's too bad it didn't work out but I've decided to cut my losses and move on.  

2015-03-05 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Be sure to include walker's welcomed events.  If you can include a dog friendly run, that would be cool too.

2015-03-05 10:22 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I have to agree with both Matt and Erin. Some coaches do put in more than what they want their athlete to accomplish. Other coaches put things in on the higher side without telling why. These coaches make me wonder if they are looking at the individual and making individual training plans or just making a blanket plan for all. My coach knows my injury and works around it. He was the masters coach when I joined the team after I was cleared to start swimming after my surgery. He watched me learn how to walk again and then taught me how to run again. He knows what my limitations are and when to put limitations on me because I won't do that myself. He also knows when to push. While others have stopped training with him because for whatever reasons, he knows me and I know he won't give me a blanket plan but train me as I am. You're coach needs to know you. Train you and not others. Can you sit down with her and let her know how you feel? {{hugs}}}

After reevaluating my goals and looking at where I'm at physically, I've decided to put the coaching on hold.  My motivation for getting a coach was to avoid getting hurt in the off season while I was training for a HM.  For a variety of reasons, that didn't work out.  I've been sidelined for the past several months and having a coach during that time hasn't been helpful.  Now I'm back in roughly the same place I was at last year, rebuilding base.  I know how to do that and don't need to pay a coach to tell me "Do PT as directed and ease back into running/swimming/biking" for the next 8 weeks.  I sent Tess an email last night telling her that and basically saying, "I'll call you when I'm ready to do coaching again." I might take a few private swimming lessons from her in the future; she's really knowledgeable and could definitely help me with my weakest area.

I'm considering joining a local women's team where I can get in-person coaching plus the benefit of having others to train with but I'll wait until I have some better strength/endurance before I make a decision.  It's too bad it didn't work out but I've decided to cut my losses and move on.  

All things considered, I think dropping the coach is a wise move for now (for your sanity AND pocketbook) until you get healed up and back at it again.  The women's team thing sounds like it could be fun and beneficial.  Is this a running team?  Tri team?  Workout team?

2015-03-05 10:25 AM

User image

Glad you've come to a decision that makes sense for you. All will be well!
2015-03-05 10:30 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

Be sure to include walker's welcomed events.  If you can include a dog friendly run, that would be cool too.

That's a good idea.

2015-03-05 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

It was 81 degrees yesterday.  It's now 29 and sleeting.  BLAH!

2015-03-05 10:50 AM

User image

Seattle

That's a good idea.

I think that more important than highlighting races would be setting up group runs/cycling. It's so helpful to have people to run/cycle with and offering regular get together helps people learn how to make more of a habit of being active.

The races can be more the goal, after a period of training.

2015-03-05 10:51 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by msteiner

Woah! 

What did you do to of mother nature? She seems moody. 

2015-03-05 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Woah! 

What did you do to of mother nature? She seems moody. 

Weather down here is like a box of chocolates...

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-05 11:04 AM
2015-03-05 11:01 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Orlando

Similar weather here - 85* today, but dropping down to 71* tomorrow  

2015-03-05 11:04 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Whine, whine, wine... (yes, I meant to spell that last one that way!!)

After a couple of weeks of snow and cold, we're going to get some 40's and 50's over the next several days.  Maybe we'll get rid of all the ice/slush on our street so it's not quite so dangerous to drive.

I'm super glad I don't live in the Northeast!!!

Edited by laffinrock 2015-03-05 11:05 AM
2015-03-05 11:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It has been very spring-like around here.  A beautiful week so far and a bit warmer this weekend.  The cherry trees and early flowers are blooming.  Crazy how the east coast has gotten hammered and this has been one of our mildest winters. 

2015-03-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

All things considered, I think dropping the coach is a wise move for now (for your sanity AND pocketbook) until you get healed up and back at it again.  The women's team thing sounds like it could be fun and beneficial.  Is this a running team?  Tri team?  Workout team?

There are a couple of women's tri clubs, as well as several mixed-gender clubs and all accept athletes at various levels.  The price to join any of them ends up being less than or close to the same price as private coaching.  I see lots of club members in their racing kits and it's neat to see the support they give each other during the races.  It would also definitely make the training less lonely.

2015-03-05 11:22 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

It has been very spring-like around here.  A beautiful week so far and a bit warmer this weekend.  The cherry trees and early flowers are blooming.  Crazy how the east coast has gotten hammered and this has been one of our mildest winters. 

A good year for us to have moved to Austin! 

Today was a "snow day" for the kiddos - and it's now mid 30's and bright sun.  Not a speck of snow or ice to be seen - the kids are psyched to sleep late and then have a gorgeous day to play (wish I could join them!).  Dallas got slammed, but we're sunny and fine...

Meanwhile, my extended family back East is still getting hammered.  Worst winter ever, by common consensus.  Schadenfreude is ugly, but it feels sooooo good. 

Matt

2015-03-05 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed

That's a good idea.

I think that more important than highlighting races would be setting up group runs/cycling. It's so helpful to have people to run/cycle with and offering regular get together helps people learn how to make more of a habit of being active.

The races can be more the goal, after a period of training.

I think this a great point.  I would be more focused on promoting and supporting the lifestyle.  The events are good and give people something to look forward to but the daily/weekly activity is what is key to improving overall health and is a great way to foster fellowship.

The guys I trail run with are from my church as is the group that tries to kill me mountain biking.  It is a very young congregation so lots of very active young adults and we live in exercise paradise with all the trails, mountains, lakes, etc. around here.  There are some folks that are really into PX90 and some that just get together to walk.  It seems like the only ones that do not link up for exercise are the elderly.  I think they get kind of lost in the shuffle.  If you have a large amount of elderly you might want to think about doing something specfically for them.  Where I work there is an elderly health program and they do regular sessions of basic range of motion and light aerobic activity.

Edited by popsracer 2015-03-05 11:24 AM
2015-03-05 11:31 AM

Master
Northern IL

Whine, whine, wine... (yes, I meant to spell that last one that way!!)

After a couple of weeks of snow and cold, we're going to get some 40's and 50's over the next several days.  Maybe we'll get rid of all the ice/slush on our street so it's not quite so dangerous to drive.

I'm super glad I don't live in the Northeast!!!

-10 here this morning, but should be seeing those kind of temps in a few days.

2015-03-05 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

At my work, they gave everyone a Fitbit and there are prizes for achieving certain levels of activity.  It is interesting to see so many people walking up and down stairs, up and down the hallways trying to click off steps.  One lady figured out she could just sit at her desk and swing her arm.  Hilarious to watch.  But I suspect all of this will stop after the prizes are awarded. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15342 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27899 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11804 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66194 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54503 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.