General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 Training Program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-23 2:05 PM

Subject: IM 70.3 Training Program
Hello Bt,

I am looking for a training plan to complete my goal IM 70.3 Austin, any input would be appreciated.

A little background on my self. I'm 23 year old and in decent shape. I have competed in a couple of sprints and overall have done okay. I biggest weakness is swimming (last spring was 250m and took me 8 minutes.....). I have been cycling for 4 years and the bike is my strongest leg. I am training now but it is sporadic and undisciplined at best.

So basically I am looking for a plan catered toward a begginer that is easy to follow. Also below is my tentative race schedule for 2015, all of my races are catered toward training.

3/15 - St Patrick's Day Sprint
4/15 - Big D Half Marathon
6/7 - Play Tri Olympic
8/23 - Hottest Half Marathon
10/18 - US Open Olympic
11/18 - Ironman 70.3 Austin

Thank you

2015-02-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: bbeale90

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: IM 70.3 Training Program
did you check out the BT HIM plans on the site ? they have a free one and paid.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-lis...

2015-02-23 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
My favorite.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironm...

Btw, I'm not sure if there's any way to prepare yourself for those rough roads at Austin but if you can think of a way, do it. My teeth are still rattling.
2015-02-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #5095502

I have looked at both of those. The swimming on them seems to be about my ability. Would you just do as much as possibly and work up to them?

Also thanks for the tip about Austin, which 70.3 would you recommend?
2015-02-23 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Originally posted by bbeale90

I have looked at both of those. The swimming on them seems to be about my ability. Would you just do as much as possibly and work up to them?

Also thanks for the tip about Austin, which 70.3 would you recommend?

Not sure I understand your swimming question? Yes, if you can slowly work up to the distances then you should be fine (assuming you're comfortable in open water). Even if you're not fast. If you are saying just swim as much as you can regardless of whether you work up to the plan distances then that becomes a question of whether you can swim far enough to finish safely?

As to 70.3s, I'm not trying to dissuade you from Austin if it works for you geographically, time of year wise, etc. However, if you're wide open and just looking for a 70.3 I personally would direct you away from it. There are better choices all things being equal. Augusta is during the same time frame... oh wait, that's full. It's not an IM brand but b2b here in NC is good. Anyway, you'll get a thousand opinions on the best ones but Austin isn't it.
2015-02-23 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The BT beginner plan is pretty solid for all tree disciplines (I used it for my first HIM), but if at all possible, I would try to get some additional help with your swimming. Any possibility of some sessions with a swim coach, a master's program where they can help you with your stroke, or classes oriented toward freestyle/triathlon? Eight minutes for 250m (really, anything much over 5 minutes) despite decent basic fitness means there are probably some really serious issues with your swim form and you will be wasting a lot of extra physical (and mental) energy out there on the course. 1900m is a LONG way if you are not a confident swimmer. At your 250m speed, assuming you could hold that steady for 8X the distance (which is a big assumption) it means you'll be out there over an hour. I don't know what swim cutoffs are in a 70.3 but you might be pushing them. You'd probably see solid gains in bike and run just by working on your swim.

Definitely find a structured training program and stick to it. I find that I can "fake it" with pretty casual training for a sprint (say, if I've been traveling a lot) and even pull out a mediocre Olympic distance on that, but HIM is a big step up. (Plus I' a strong swimmer, so I'm not going to be worrying about being able to finish the swim leg or make the cutoff.) I's a long race and you definitely need to have some swim confidence and longer bikes/runs in there, plus build up gradually to avoid injury.

2015-02-23 6:37 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by smoom
Originally posted by bbeale90 I have looked at both of those. The swimming on them seems to be about my ability. Would you just do as much as possibly and work up to them? Also thanks for the tip about Austin, which 70.3 would you recommend?
Not sure I understand your swimming question? Yes, if you can slowly work up to the distances then you should be fine (assuming you're comfortable in open water). Even if you're not fast. If you are saying just swim as much as you can regardless of whether you work up to the plan distances then that becomes a question of whether you can swim far enough to finish safely? As to 70.3s, I'm not trying to dissuade you from Austin if it works for you geographically, time of year wise, etc. However, if you're wide open and just looking for a 70.3 I personally would direct you away from it. There are better choices all things being equal. Augusta is during the same time frame... oh wait, that's full. It's not an IM brand but b2b here in NC is good. Anyway, you'll get a thousand opinions on the best ones but Austin isn't it.

I live less than 2.5 hours from the Austin 70.3 race site and I will never do that race again.  I've done 15 or so Ironman branded IM and 70.3 races and Austin is hands down the worst.  The bike course is just dreadful.

2015-02-24 10:03 AM
in reply to: #5095532

My plan is to find someone who can help we on my swimming, problem is I live in area where triathlon isn't very popular.

I have been eyeing Austin because I beleive it gives me enough time to train and is located 3 hours from me to travel will be easy.
2015-02-24 10:50 AM

My favorite.

Btw, I'm not sure if there's any way to prepare yourself for those rough roads at Austin but if you can think of a way, do it. My teeth are still rattling.

Can you elaborate on why you like the Super Simple Fitzgerald plan? The reason I ask is that I was considering it for a race (my first of that distance) in late September. I kind of decided against it because I was beginning to question if there was enough volume to prepare me for the race. As it stands now I put something together myself using the Joe Friel book (with 500 Annual hours as the jumping off point). This points to a larger volume. However in looking at available time for training i don't know if I can find the time for the volume I set forth. The Fitzgerald plan would be a plan B but I still worry that I won't have enough volume to prepare me for the race.
2015-02-24 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Originally posted by bbeale90

My plan is to find someone who can help we on my swimming, problem is I live in area where triathlon isn't very popular.

I have been eyeing Austin because I beleive it gives me enough time to train and is located 3 hours from me to travel will be easy.

From your race list, I'm guessing you live in DFW?

If so, look into Redman up in OKC. It's a fantastic race. Much better than Austin.
2015-02-25 7:57 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by metafizx

did you check out the BT HIM plans on the site ? they have a free one and paid.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-lis...

Great plans on BT and support from Coach Ricci. Highly recommend the plans and D3 coaching.

2015-02-25 9:16 AM

User image

My favorite.

That is not nearly as much training as I would expect. I do more than that for my Olys. My first HIM is in July. I think that if it were tomorrow, I could finish it with my training, just not hit my time goals. I don't think I would be able to finish if that was all I did.
2015-02-25 10:23 AM
in reply to: ponyup

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Another race option may be the OilMan race just north of Houston. It's in November, so roughly same time of year. It's a lot smaller race than Austin with less than half the people, but is well organized and the course is great!
2015-02-25 10:36 AM

User image

Originally posted by bbeale90 My plan is to find someone who can help we on my swimming, problem is I live in area where triathlon isn't very popular. 

Search out swimming coaches or masters swimming in your area.  If you are just searching for triathlon and it's not big in your area that could be limiting your results.

2015-03-03 5:39 PM
in reply to: #5095738

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Sorry, I've been on vacation and off the grid.

As to the questions about the Super Simple plan, two things. First, I am absolutely no expert and have no vested interest in this plan. I'm sure there are a lot of great plans out there so use what feels right for you. And second, I did use this plan for 2-3 races (can't remember) successfully before getting a coach and it worked pretty well, including an AG podium at the B2B half. Hope this all helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 Training Program Rss Feed