General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Reuters " Exclusive: Providence Equity explores Ironman parent sale: sources" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-25 7:50 AM

Subject: From Reuters " Exclusive: Providence Equity explores Ironman parent sale: sources"
Thought this might be of interest to a lot of folks here. I hope whoever buys Ironman is a good owner of the business and will carefully balance the needs of the triathlon community and the desire to make a profit....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/25/us-ironman-m-a-exclusive-...

2015-02-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: From Reuters " Exclusive: Providence Equity explores Ironman parent sale: sources"
very interesting Brian, thanks for posting.

I am not a finance guy so I might be misinformed in my comments but it seems they are looking into either selling for a nice profit or making an IPO so regular folks like us can invest in the company. Either way, they are going to make money correct?

I would be interested in hearing from some of the business people on this site what they think about it. To me, seems like a smart business play and can't fault them for that. If someone does buy it, hopefully things don't deteriorate.
2015-02-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: From Reuters " Exclusive: Providence Equity explores Ironman parent sale: sources"
Private equity investment usually has a life cycle with that life cycle ending when the investors think they can maximize the profit.

Either a private sale or a public offering. They goal is the same maximize returns.
2015-02-25 2:01 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I see on the other forum that there's a lot of hopes and wishes that Lifetime Fitness take it over.  Sounds ideal as they are taking over the shorter races and merging some corporate functions in relation.   Hmmm might be worth watching or holding some stock (LTM)!

X

2015-02-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by running2far

Private equity investment usually has a life cycle with that life cycle ending when the investors think they can maximize the profit.

Either a private sale or a public offering. They goal is the same maximize returns.

This is an accurate assessment. PE firms are generally not long term investors. They often have a stable of firms they invest in with the expectation that a few will be home runs so they can give the investors a good return on the portfolio. No deal is ever done just to buy and hold as a general rule. They always have an exit strategy in mind.

The choice of straight sale or IPO is a function of how long they think they can ride the horse. If initiating a liquidity event now gets them a return of X the decision on IPO v sale is a function of what they think they can do with the proceeds. If they think the stock will continue to grow at their internal hurdle rate they will do that while returning to the investors some of their investment. If they think it will not grow at that rate, they will exit completely from the deal one way or another and reinvest back into the portfolio with another purchase.

If I were a betting man I would expect this to be a full exit strategy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Reuters " Exclusive: Providence Equity explores Ironman parent sale: sources" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim training exclusive to ows

Started by mikemd
Views: 830 Posts: 8

2012-08-23 7:43 PM simpsonbo

Exclusive Video: Inside the Raelert Brothers’ Spring Training Camp

Started by keith-OG
Views: 864 Posts: 2

2011-05-04 1:26 PM furiousferret

Providence Equity Partners to Acquite NAS?

Started by aarondavidson
Views: 721 Posts: 3

2008-11-23 10:11 AM marmadaddy

70.3 Providence, Rhode Island

Started by paTRIck
Views: 539 Posts: 3

2008-06-30 10:21 AM paTRIck

Went exploring this morning

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1066 Posts: 13

2006-02-03 1:16 PM CalgaryRunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : BellaDad
comments : 8
Moms and Dads, here are the five ways I’ve learned to succeed at triathlon and keep the peace at home.

date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.