4th Dimension Racing
36F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 15s
Overall Rank = 2/100
Age Group = 1
Age Group Rank = 1/60
Pre-race routine:

Attended a bachelorette party Saturday night. I was a responsible adult and was in bed by midnight :) Also, for the record I had two Georgetown Manny's Pale Ales.

And speaking of Manny's Pale Ale, I Played in a charity hockey game the day before. I was playing for the Manny's sponsored team and It was the first time I had played in ages. That being said, I woke up incredibly sore.
Event warmup:

Parked, used the porta then did some easy jogging. Picked up my packet then did a series of uphill strides on the steep gravel road.

Just before the start they did a raffle. There was a running apparel group throwing t-shirts out into the crows. Lucky for me the guy yelled out, "Women's small!" then threw the shirt right at me.
Run
  • 43m 15s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I have gotten smart over my trail running career (this being race #2) and lined up near the front. This was especially important due to long single track uphill sections.

The RD gave a rundown of the usual hazards, creek crossing, blow-downs etc. Then made sure to say, "THIS. IS. NOT. A. ROAD. RACE"

We took off and were immediately faced with a small creek crossing. I had 3 options: to try and jump it, to use a wood 2x4 or to just run through. Not that I had much time to think but the 2x4 was all sorts of muddy and wet so I opted to jump. I baaarely made it across but my shoe sunk down pretty far into the mud and my shoe filled with water.

We funneled into something of a double-track that followed a rough jeep road around and up the hill. It got steep quick and I passed a lot of people. I was with a pack of about 6 guys as we picked our way along the rocky path. Eventually it got narrow and turned into muddy rocky single track. The 6 or so of us were in a pretty tight pack so visibility was poor. I didn't want to give anything up though because I knew the BIG hill was coming and I didn't want to get stuck behind too many people.

I was feeling the burn immediately. My lungs were on fire from the uphill exertion. It was clear the cardio was the week point here. The legs felt great!

We got to the very steep hill and I settle into my uphill goat mode. The hill is short, but about 600' of gain. I kept my cadence high and my stride nice and short. I did my best not to look towards the top and kept my focus on each step forward.

Once we crested the hill we could see a series of smaller hills. I was pretty gassed but tried to capitalize on the downhills and "recover" on the up. I let gravity pull me down and really forced as fast of turnover as possible. I had asked some folks about how I can get faster on the downhills and through their feedback I realized I really should be working on cadence and staying way up on my toes.

It was really effective. The cadence thing was something I had to really focus on because I tend to fall into my natural rhythm. But upon consciously "road-runner-ing" (my own made up term) I really did find myself descending more quickly.

I wasn't entirely sure where I was in the pack but figured I was maybe 4th or 5th OA. I hadn't seen any women at all so really I was just trying to stay with the guys.

There was a short downhill just before the single-track portion and I used my road-runnering to glide past 2 of the guys then ducked into the forest. The trees were incredibly dense and the trail was twisty and technical. There were roots, mud pits and trees to hurdle.

When I was younger, getting to my childhood friend's house meant going through "the woods" I was scared of them so I ALWAYS ran through. Running this single track reminded me a lot of that and it brought a smile to my face as I weaved in and out of the forest. The single track broke open onto a fire service road again and I let my stride open up a bit. I passed what looked like the turnoff. It was marked in orange with a curve. I stopped, and went back and looked down the trail. There were orange markers tied to the trees. This was what they were using for our course so I followed the trail through some ankle deep single track. At this point I had passed all of the men I could see but I wasn't sure if there was anyone else ahead. I flew through the muddy single track, feeling the mud spray up my back, onto my face, in my hair. When I was about to complete the small loop (maybe 1/4 mile) I saw the men I had passed earlier coming towards me. "You did the loop backwards" they said. "Just follow us" So I about faced and ran back the way I came. This was a total bummer because now I had to go back uphill in the muddy single track and I was basically doing the loop again. Oh well. My bad for not knowing if the loop was clockwise or counterclockwise.

We finished the loop and then headed back down towards the finish. The course took us a less steep routes that more or less switch-backed the "face" we ascended on the way up. It was all single track so I stayed tucked behind the two guys. On a bermed curve, I was able to run high and pass one of the guys. I used my momentum to propel me into the final steep section towards the finish.

The steep road turned from gravel to asphalt and although I was trying to keep my turnover really quick, I could feel my feet pounding the surface. I really had to pee.

I pulled ahead of the guy, letting gravity take me down, doing my best not to fight it. The guy accelerated past me which I was slightly surprised by since he knew that I had run an additional loop I weighed the pros and cons of chasing him down. I really had to pee and I didn't really see myself as "in competition" with him so I decided it wasn't worth peeing my pants. At least not this time.

I ran through the finish chute for the overall women's win. This race is part of a series and a win is really beneficial in the points standing. They take the best 6/11 races and there is a cash prize. I was really, really happy with my performance and my good early standing in the series, especially my given inexperience in trail racing.

These trail races are so challenging. I have about a 7:15 marathon pace - 5:5x 5K pace yet almost a 9:00 5 mile trail pace LOL

What would you do differently?:

Pee a little closer to the start, not get lost, continue to work on my downhill form
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged a little bit then jumped in my car because I only had an hour until the group run that I lead

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, not 100% knowing the course, getting stopped by course marshall

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-02-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:15 | 05 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/60
Overall: 2/100
Performance: Average
Course: About 1/3 of the course is fire road and 2/3 is single track. I would say the first two miles are pretty much straight up, including the infamous Lord Hill. Then they take 3 miles via a more gentle grade going back down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-02-26 11:46 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Lord Hill Trail Run - 5 Mile

2015-02-26 11:47 AM
in reply to: #5096384

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Lord Hill Trail Run - 5 Mile

Manny's Mahem!

2015-02-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Awesome race and great report.  Love reading about these kind of runs.  Much richer experience (IMO) in these trail races compared to the road.  Was a bummer about the misdirection but I think there is greater reliance on course markings for a trail race than on the road so maybe they could have made it clearer?  Anyway, sounds like a great effort and Manny's is right up there with my CHKNT Kolsch.

2015-02-26 12:09 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

What a cool race.  Congrats on the OA win and you hockey chicks look fierce!!!!

2015-02-26 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

What a beautiful course! I totally pictured you going all Lolo on hurdling the trees

Nice job coming back from some challenges to take the win!!!

So awesome to "see" you in action!

2015-02-26 12:34 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Wow - great race!

Congrats on the win, too.  Nicely done.

So, are those shorts a family tartan? 

Way to throw down a badazz race.

Matt

2015-02-26 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congrats on a win and on the education! Great job.

2015-02-26 1:08 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Man-oh-man, I always love reading your drinking er, race reports!

Great start to the series, Adrienne - if you can stay on track those boys aren't going to know what hit 'em next time! Way to keep your cool and get back on the train when you got turned around, and nice job flying down the descents - it really is the trick. Sounds like this race had lots of single track too - that can really wear you out mentally when running in close quarters with others, and then physically if you don't time your passes just right. Seems like you got that part spot-on. Totally get the part of trail racing that takes you back to childhood too. Having grown up in the woods of the deep south I tend to get through the bramble  a little better than most, and sort of as a mantra during the hard bits of a trail or orienteering race I often repeat the phrase "Born and bred in a briar patch" to myself over and over. Sounds like you may have a little Br'er Rabbit in you as well. Keep it up!

2015-02-26 3:35 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Orlando

Man, trail races in Washington look WAY different than trail races in Florida!  What a beautiful, if terrifying, looking course!! Congrats on a great race and finish.

2015-02-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Pennsylvania

So if I interpreted what I read correctly, beer + hockey (which do seem to be frequently found together naturally) = great race the next day.

That hill looks very challenging!  I applaud your 'road-runner-ing' approach to downhills, I fear gravity too much to do such things.  What a wonderful race report and an even better race!  Next time, boys, next time...beware...

Nice matchy-matchy on the shirt/shorts/socks/shoes.

2015-02-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Awesome race and great report.  Love reading about these kind of runs.  Much richer experience (IMO) in these trail races compared to the road.  Was a bummer about the misdirection but I think there is greater reliance on course markings for a trail race than on the road so maybe they could have made it clearer?  Anyway, sounds like a great effort and Manny's is right up there with my CHKNT Kolsch.

Yeah, if they simply had an arrow on the line vs just a line it would have been a lot more clear. But again, we as athletes are responsible for knowing the course. But as you said, knowing the course can be pretty complex in a huge system of trails.

2015-03-01 2:52 PM

User image

Master

Ahhhhh, mud trails. So foreign-looking these days!  Beautiful venue, although that monster uphill had everyone looking unhappy about waking up.  

Aside from a couple of hiccups, an excellent race for your trail career.  

2015-03-02 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Your race reports are always a fun read.  I can visualize the race as if I were there with your report.  The race looks fun and epic, and you killed it!  Great race, Salty!

2015-03-02 7:23 AM

Master
Northern IL

Nice job Adrienne! The trails definitely have some notable differences and it seems like your picking up on them.

2015-03-02 11:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Yet again, you proved your total badazzness, Salty!!  You + trail running (plus beer + hockey) seems to be an unbeatable combination.  Looks like you've gotten your mojo back and found a way to combine your love of the outdoors with your love of running.  Keep up the great work on both your races and your race reports!!

2015-03-02 1:34 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Wow - great race!

Congrats on the win, too.  Nicely done.

So, are those shorts a family tartan

Way to throw down a badazz race.

Matt

OMG I wish I could say yes! Perhaps my family comes from a long long line of lumberjacks. So pac northwest...

2015-03-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Man, trail races in Washington look WAY different than trail races in Florida!  What a beautiful, if terrifying, looking course!! Congrats on a great race and finish.

Haha yeah, without the causeways, do you even have hills in Florida?

2015-03-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

So if I interpreted what I read correctly, beer + hockey (which do seem to be frequently found together naturally) = great race the next day.

That hill looks very challenging!  I applaud your 'road-runner-ing' approach to downhills, I fear gravity too much to do such things.  What a wonderful race report and an even better race!  Next time, boys, next time...beware...

Nice matchy-matchy on the shirt/shorts/socks/shoes.

OMG so glad someone noticed! I am proud to admit these kinds of things keep me up at night

Oh and yes, you are correct. Beer + hockey = good race. Oh yeah, don't forget the bachelorette party. If you look the the photo from behind you can see the tattoo from the bachelorette party on my shoulder hahaha. Don't worry, it's temporary. 

2015-03-02 8:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Manny's Mahem!

This kinda has me wondering if you're still getting shorter. 

2015-03-02 10:36 PM

User image

Nice job! I did this race a couple years ago. It's a great course. I missed a turn too at about the 4 mile mark. I thought the single track in the forest was the best part. That and the hot soup at the finish line.
2015-03-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Manny's Mahem!

This kinda has me wondering if you're still getting shorter. 

Geeze, probably. Old age, ya know!?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lord Hill Trail Run - 5 Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hells Hills Trail Run - 50 Mile

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1139 Posts: 1

2014-04-07 12:19 PM g_shotts

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 10K

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 632 Posts: 1

2013-03-17 1:32 PM Lar Dog

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 5K

Started by gmorning
Views: 1082 Posts: 1

2013-02-04 10:56 PM gmorning

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 10K

Started by jpf5911
Views: 1102 Posts: 1

2012-02-21 10:03 PM jpf5911

Farmdale Trail Run 8 mile and 33 mile

Started by rthomas
Views: 1140 Posts: 1

2008-04-01 4:35 PM rthomas
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?