General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-01 11:21 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Subject: RE: What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance?
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Mainly lack of a good situation to train adequately for longer events.... Also, there's really no safe and interesting place to bike around here, and nobody who trains for events of that distance...

Sorry to derail a bit, but I was just discussing your situation with my wife yesterday so had to comment on this We are both relative beginners to triathlon with just one season behind us. We live in Malaysia and did the IM 70.3 here last year and this year we are both aiming for the full Ironman in Langkawi in November.
Biking isn't optimal here either, but there are plenty of groups to join and quite a few routes to try, although you definitely have to be mindful of the traffic. But as we were complaining to each other about the danger of biking here I mentioned that "there is this woman on Beginner Triathlon who stays in Vietnam. I wonder where she rides" and my wife replied "yeah man, in Vietnam it's impossible! The roads suck and they drive like crazy" - which says a lot coming from someone wrestling with Kuala Lumpur traffic daily.
So, we agree and are inspired by your commitment to train where you are!

For us - time is the main reason for not doing a full IM last year, and hesitating to committing to one this year.
I am quite sure it will cost me the possibility of a good summer holiday with "food and wine" But we are prepared now - to do it.
Flights are booked, hotel is booked, spectator or participant - we will see in a few months :D

2015-03-02 10:04 AM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance?

I'm working my way up in distance, but don't really have any desire to do a full.  Not because it think it would be hard, but because I think it would be boring.  I like being able to do a Sprint or Oly in the AM and go for a fun group ride or something in the afternoon.  I'm training focusing on half's right now and have 2 on the schedule this spring and will likely do 2-3 more this year after that with some local stuff in between. 

2015-03-02 11:29 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Exton, PA
After 8 years of doing tri's I just signed up for my first Ironman.

My son started driving last summer which seems to have freed up about 4 hours a week for me. Time has always been the limiter for me.

I also believe I am now fast enough to finish the event before 6:30 pm, which is important because that is dinner time and I don't like to miss dinner!
2015-03-02 12:44 PM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

For me it's not just the training time required and the resulting conflicts with family, work and other interests, but also the age factor.  At 61, I'm needing more recovery time between workouts which limits my overall ptoential training volume.

I love running, but more and more am feeling the cunulative effect of all the pounding on my body.     

I occasionally harbor thoughts of doing an IM as a 'bucket list' event, but am perfectly content with limiting myself to sprints, Olys and HM's.

Mark 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are the main things preventing you from stepping up to the Ironman Distance? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

upping the distance.

Started by jennifer65
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2011-08-27 5:25 AM jennifer65

2 steps forward and 1 step back swimming

Started by jacasa
Views: 1520 Posts: 7

2008-03-04 1:46 PM jacasa

Step by Step Instructions, please!

Started by Afletcher