United States
Klein | Clark Sports
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 13m 22s
Overall Rank = 82/574
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 6/34
Pre-race routine:

Typical pre-race routine...except the rain. Thankfully Jen. F. mentioned that I should bring some trash bags, so I had packed 2 on Friday night. They came in handy! I used one to cover my run gear and one to cover my bike gear.

Morning food – multigrain bagel with peanut butter at about 5:30am. Coffee and bite of banana. 1 vanilla GU about 30 minutes before race.
Event warmup:

10' run warmup. Tried to do a few faster segments, but just ran comfortably. Unfortunately at this point, it started to sprinkle. :(
Swim
  • 20m 38s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

My wave was women 39 and under. Everyone was actually pretty aggressive from the start. I pushed the first few hundred yards and was sandwiched between two girls who were about my speed. The girl on my left felt like she was being aggressive, but I'm guessing she was just swimming and kept veering into me. I decided to swim around her to her left and that was a great decision! As soon as I made it over to the side, I came upon some feet! The girl was just about my speed, so instead of trying to pass her, I sat on her. I'm guessing I was super annoying because I hit her feet a couple times.

Of course as I was in the water, I couldn't feel the rain...so I was hoping the entire swim that the rain had let up...unfortunately it hadn't!

2 years ago, I swam 21:39. 1 minute faster this year. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Coach said to draft and that's what I did. Sometimes I do wonder if I had passed her and tried to swim faster, would that have been better? Maybe I would've had a slightly faster swim time? But then would I have exerted myself more and burned myself for the bike and run?
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Came to a wet transition area. Pulled the trash bag off my gear and threw on my helmet and put on my shoes. Had the bike in the small ring in the front and middle ring in the back. The bike course starts off with a little climb, so I thought this might be the best choice. Everything went as planned.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 15s
  • 24 miles
  • 21.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Was a little apprehensive about the bike because of the rain. I thought that I'd have to go extra slow the whole time. Once I was on, though, it felt great. Wasn't too cold (though my toes lost a little feeling at some point). Other than the turns, I did my best to hammer it out. Kept my HR in the low to mid 150s.

First loop was great. There weren't a ton of riders on the course yet, so I was able to settle in. Had a GU about 15 minutes into the ride. There wasn't too much wind on the course. Went approx. 20 to 21mph in one direction and 23ish-mph in the other direction. I was feeling pretty great on the bike. Loved the feeling of going fast and knowing that I wasn't burning my legs out. Loved the flat course.

Second loop was just like the first, but more congested. There were a ton more riders. At times, I had to go far to the left in order to pass multiple riders. Some riders were in the middle of the lane...so I made sure to continue to say "on your left". I also slowed down quite a bit more for each corner. Instead of trying to pass into the corner, I decided to just sit back behind and wait until after the turn to pass. Toward the end of the second loop, I tried taking another GU, but my hands were so cold that they weren't nimble enough to pull it out of my pocket. The little bump on the road didn't help...I didn't feel stable enough with the bumps and wet road to get the GU.

Nutrition – 1 caffeine GU and 2 scoops of Skratch in the BTA aero bottle.

Push it more? Though I felt pretty good with my effort. 2 years ago time was 1:16:24 (was on the road bike with aero bars).
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Probably dismounted a little early (about 10-15 feet in front of the dismount line/timing mats). Fingers were numb, so it was hard to put my socks and shoes on. I stopped to fix the tongue of my left shoe, but never fixed my right. With the rain, I decided not to run with sunglasses and hat.

Find sockless running shoes?
Run
  • 41m 47s
  • 6 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Was happy to be on the run...meant I was almost done. Since I didn't take a GU at the end of the bike, I thought about taking one early in the run, but felt okay so decided not to. First mile of the run I just settled in and ran. I would glance down at my watch and noticed I was running maybe a little faster than planned. Since I felt okay, I kept at it. First loop I felt pretty stable and felt like I kept a pretty even effort. At the end of the first loop, I ran into a huge puddle and my right foot got completely wet. Had to dodge some puddles here and there...

Beginning of the second loop I took a caffeine GU. When I took it, I walked for just a second. At this point, I could tell I was slowing down a little, but wanted to wait until I had a mile or so to go before picking it up. I still felt pretty strong...was passing runners on their first lap. A few guys with good clip passed me...as well as a younger girl who was running a great pace. With just over a mile to go, I pushed a bit more...I was feeling good and knew the end was near! As I saw the finish line, I picked it up and passed a few other runners who were completing their first lap.

I finished the run feeling good...so maybe I could've pushed a bit harder? But overall, I was happy with the effort. Glad I had some kick in me at the end

Two years ago I ran 44:10.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing...once I stopped moving, the rain and cold started to get to me. Now started the miserable task of getting all my wet gear together and trying to change into dry clothes in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain? I'm pretty happy with how I executed the race. Ended up being almost 13 minutes faster than 2 years ago.

Last updated: 2015-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:38 | 1320 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/34
Overall: 94/574
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Alpha + Vanquisher Tinted Goggles
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:15 | 24 miles | 21.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/34
Overall: 116/574
Wind: Little
Course: Flat as can be.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:47 | 06 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/34
Overall: 99/574
Watch had 5.78 miles...7:15 minutes per mile. Mile 1 – 7:11 Mile 2 – 7:18 Mile 3 – 7:14 Mile 4 – 7:25 Mile 5 – 7:19 Mile 6 (0.78 mile) – 5:23 (6:56 pace)
Course: Two loops around the lake. First mile of each loop was on soft dirt/sand.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-03-01 6:44 PM

Subject: Desert International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Desert International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Toyota Desert International Triathlon

Started by DoloresM2
Views: 2625 Posts: 11

2008-04-27 11:56 PM krludwig

Started by ladavidson
Views: 2327 Posts: 5

2008-04-22 10:31 AM jezzieswims

Started by tcovert
Views: 2227 Posts: 11

2008-04-23 2:00 AM tcovert

Desert International Triathlon

Started by ladavidson
Views: 1227 Posts: 3

2007-05-26 7:55 PM jcjsc00

Desert International Triathlon

Started by MattFriend05
Views: 940 Posts: 3

2005-04-22 11:19 AM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.