General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on re-scheduling rest days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-05 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Question on re-scheduling rest days

I'm probably over thinking this, but always love to hear input--you all are so smart!  My scheduled rest day is on Monday, March 9.  I will be traveling the 13th and 14th and will not be able to train.  I'm planning to fit my long bike in Thursday morning before leaving.  Should I blow through my Monday rest day knowing I'll have two off days in a row coming up--if I am feeling good and don't need it Monday? What would you do?

2015-03-05 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Question on re-scheduling rest days

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I'm probably over thinking this, but always love to hear input--you all are so smart!  My scheduled rest day is on Monday, March 9.  I will be traveling the 13th and 14th and will not be able to train.  I'm planning to fit my long bike in Thursday morning before leaving.  Should I blow through my Monday rest day knowing I'll have two off days in a row coming up--if I am feeling good and don't need it Monday? What would you do?

While I try to stick with my scheduled workouts as much as possible I am more concerned with each week as a block of work.  I originally plan my workouts each week to best fit duration and intensity of sessions along with my intended other life schedule.  Sometimes that doesn't workout and I'll move things around to meet the key workouts of the week.  Sometimes I'll let a session just go if it is an easy or recovery effort but long rides/run and quality sessions I'll do what I have to to get those in. 

Edited by popsracer 2015-03-05 1:02 PM
2015-03-05 1:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I would rearrange, as long is it didn't create a really tough string of workouts in a row. 

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2015-03-05 1:37 PM
2015-03-05 1:55 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

, North Carolina
Going from the 3rd to the 12th is 10 days in a row. Going from the 15th to the 22nd is 8 days in a row. You work out 6 days in a row now. Maybe workout the Monday after vacation instead of the one before?
2015-03-05 2:17 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Depends all on where you are at in your season, goals, etc. I see in your sig that you are doing St. George in early May, so I am assuming you are in the beginning or towards the middle of your race specific build. That in mind I would focus on getting your key sessions of the week done when you can optimally train and recover from the.

Where are you traveling to, how are you traveling, sometimes traveling is really not "rest" (eating, sleep, movement, etc)

Typically I like to look at rest days as the day I can get optimal rest, not just a day to knock out everything else in life that may keep life stress high (won't recover). Allow for rest days to schedule themselves based on life events (helps for this with more unplanned daily schedules).

Or sometimes life as a amateur presents these problems and you just need to roll with what the week presents. It all depends on how you prioritize triathlon into life, the goals, and time/effort it will take to reach those goals.
2015-03-05 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I would be tempted to train on the Monday rest day but I think it is important to be honest with yourself with how you are feeling.  Are you only going to be able to manage 'junk miles' on the Monday?  If you train on the Monday will you still be able to perform on the following days as well as you would have done with a rest day?  There is a risk that your sessions from Monday to Thursday might be of poor quality because you are too tired.  Then again, if you think you will be able to cope, physically, then it would be a great block of training completed and you will be able to enjoy your forced days off without feeling guilty.

It is always frustrating when forced to take time off training, even if it is only a day or two, but in the long run it will have next to no effect (assuming it doesn't happen all the time).

2015-03-05 2:37 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Elite

Great advice/insight!  I feel like I'll get my key sessions in this weekend, see how I feel Monday. Great point about junk miles on the Monday, especially since I'll have to hit a long bike session Thursday.  It's all a juggling act! :-)  Thank god this isn't my career!

2015-03-05 3:11 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I would workout and then take the two days off as rest days, but I'd probably write my plan that way to begin with.

2015-03-05 5:35 PM

Master
Northern IL

I probably would have moved things around a bit, rearranging this entire time period. Might be kind of late to do that now. Absent the whole plan of the timeframe and really knowing how well everything has been going for you I might just do something light, but that's about it.

2015-03-06 11:26 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

I would rearrange, as long is it didn't create a really tough string of workouts in a row. 

I'm running into this issue too, as most of the "days off" on the plans out there....the "day off" doesn't match with my sched.
And since weekends are much more open for me, I'd like load in the 'longer' sessions on Sat/Sun.

But....is that too much? Monday would very much the lightest of the days. My plan has 3 'lighter' days.....2 'intermediate days' and 1 longer day.
There's a lot of fudge room from week to week....sometimes it's 3-2-1 or 2-3-1.

Would putting an longer-ish day after the 'longest' day be a really bad idea? Especially when I'd still have another day to go before a day off? Now, that other day at first is <1 hour on the bike.

M-light
T-'intermediate'
W-off
Th-'intermediate/light'
F-light
Sat-longer
Sun-longerish
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on re-scheduling rest days Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

rest days/rest weeks

Started by disturbed
Views: 2114 Posts: 14

2010-10-25 8:49 AM 1stTimeTri

What Day Is Your Scheduled Rest Day?

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1313 Posts: 25

2009-12-22 9:06 AM mmrocker13

Rest day question

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 1555 Posts: 12

2008-12-12 9:43 AM BeginnerMan

Rest Day Question

Started by bzzbenz
Views: 425 Posts: 3

2007-05-02 8:25 AM BbMoozer

rest day question

Started by chris hughes
Views: 795 Posts: 8

2005-07-04 7:29 PM rb85cj7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Design a triathlon race schedule with the right amount and right types of races to help you peak at the right time.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
Good tips for training and race-day