General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Wheels 101 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-03-19 8:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Aero Wheels 101
I just wanted to give a little update. I ended up pulling the trigger on some wheels from a Chinese manufacturer. I heard good things about Wheels Far, or Far Sports (I think they're interchangeable) and found some 88mm wheels pretty cheap, around $475 with shipping. They were delivered to my house exactly 7 days after ordering, which is mind boggling considering where they came from. I though I'd be waiting a month. Customer service was also really good as I contacted them a couple of times via email with questions and they got right back to me. They look impeccable and had my LBS check them out and put them on for me. I am still waiting on my GP4000s and latex tubes, which are both still on the way, so I'm using my old Vittoria Zaffiro tires with butyl tubes.

I took it out for a 40 miler this morning and I am impressed. The handling took some getting used to, especially when I'd get buzzed by cars and getting the ensuing burst of air (cars down here like to come into the bike lane and brush you quite a bit...). I know it's just one ride, but I finished my 40 miler in 1:53:38 so an average speed of 21.1 mph. Now, of course there's the huge effect of having a new toy that makes you go harder, but I did my best to keep myself in check with my HR. My average HR for the ride was 133 which is comfortably in Z2, so I have to imagine the wheels were a push. Normally at that distance and HR I'm down around 20 flat. I can't wait until I get the new tires and tubes on there.

It certainly *looks* fast...

One last note: the only negative, is since they're generic wheels, my wife thinks she's the most clever funny person ever by referring to them as "Zapp" wheels.

Edited by 3mar 2015-03-19 8:56 AM

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (126KB - 5 downloads)

2015-03-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by 3mar I just wanted to give a little update. I ended up pulling the trigger on some wheels from a Chinese manufacturer. I heard good things about Wheels Far, or Far Sports (I think they're interchangeable) and found some 88mm wheels pretty cheap, around $475 with shipping. They were delivered to my house exactly 7 days after ordering, which is mind boggling considering where they came from. I though I'd be waiting a month. Customer service was also really good as I contacted them a couple of times via email with questions and they got right back to me. They look impeccable and had my LBS check them out and put them on for me. I am still waiting on my GP4000s and latex tubes, which are both still on the way, so I'm using my old Vittoria Zaffiro tires with butyl tubes. I took it out for a 40 miler this morning and I am impressed. The handling took some getting used to, especially when I'd get buzzed by cars and getting the ensuing burst of air (cars down here like to come into the bike lane and brush you quite a bit...). I know it's just one ride, but I finished my 40 miler in 1:53:38 so an average speed of 21.1 mph. Now, of course there's the huge effect of having a new toy that makes you go harder, but I did my best to keep myself in check with my HR. My average HR for the ride was 133 which is comfortably in Z2, so I have to imagine the wheels were a push. Normally at that distance and HR I'm down around 20 flat. I can't wait until I get the new tires and tubes on there. It certainly *looks* fast... One last note: the only negative, is since they're generic wheels, my wife thinks she's the most clever funny person ever by referring to them as "Zapp" wheels.
Get yourself some "Zapp" stickers for the wheels, LOL

http://makeadecal.com/lettering.asp?lettering=Vinyl%20Lettering

Are they U shaped or something other?

2015-03-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by 3mar I just wanted to give a little update. I ended up pulling the trigger on some wheels from a Chinese manufacturer. I heard good things about Wheels Far, or Far Sports (I think they're interchangeable) and found some 88mm wheels pretty cheap, around $475 with shipping. They were delivered to my house exactly 7 days after ordering, which is mind boggling considering where they came from. I though I'd be waiting a month. Customer service was also really good as I contacted them a couple of times via email with questions and they got right back to me. They look impeccable and had my LBS check them out and put them on for me. I am still waiting on my GP4000s and latex tubes, which are both still on the way, so I'm using my old Vittoria Zaffiro tires with butyl tubes. I took it out for a 40 miler this morning and I am impressed. The handling took some getting used to, especially when I'd get buzzed by cars and getting the ensuing burst of air (cars down here like to come into the bike lane and brush you quite a bit...). I know it's just one ride, but I finished my 40 miler in 1:53:38 so an average speed of 21.1 mph. Now, of course there's the huge effect of having a new toy that makes you go harder, but I did my best to keep myself in check with my HR. My average HR for the ride was 133 which is comfortably in Z2, so I have to imagine the wheels were a push. Normally at that distance and HR I'm down around 20 flat. I can't wait until I get the new tires and tubes on there. It certainly *looks* fast... One last note: the only negative, is since they're generic wheels, my wife thinks she's the most clever funny person ever by referring to them as "Zapp" wheels.
Get yourself some "Zapp" stickers for the wheels, LOL

http://makeadecal.com/lettering.asp?lettering=Vinyl%20Lettering

Are they U shaped or something other?

I think they're somewhere in between. See below. From what I had read online on different articles about V vs U, I saw more than once that the large flat face of the V shaped rim was what caused instability in cross winds, and at depths of 88mm, even a lot of the U shaped rims appeared to still have a large semi-flat face, because there is only so much you can curve it. Especially in the cheaper U shaped rims I saw where they were essentially flat until the very bottom where they then U'ed in. I picked these due to the bend half way down the face, with the assumption that it would alleviate this a bit. I'm probably way off, but that's what I went with.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (18KB - 7 downloads)
2015-03-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Oakville

Very nice!  Now get yourself a wheel cover for the rear and you're all set.

Your set up looks very similar to my B16, including the Adamo saddle and Xlab torpedo bottle.

Its hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but it looks like your saddle is pitched aggressively downward.

The reason I point this out is that I initially couldn't get comfortable on the Adamo until I adjusted the nose of the saddle down. 

Your angle looks a little steeper than mine - do you ever feel like you're sliding forward?

2015-03-20 2:14 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Scott71

Very nice!  Now get yourself a wheel cover for the rear and you're all set.

Your set up looks very similar to my B16, including the Adamo saddle and Xlab torpedo bottle.

Its hard to tell from the angle of the pic, but it looks like your saddle is pitched aggressively downward.

The reason I point this out is that I initially couldn't get comfortable on the Adamo until I adjusted the nose of the saddle down. 

Your angle looks a little steeper than mine - do you ever feel like you're sliding forward?

The wheel cover is next on my list!

I had it tilted that much due to my old saddle because of how uncomfortable it was, and I just kept it the same on this one. I haven't felt like I was sliding forward at all, so I just kept it. I'm still getting used to it, but it's a huge improvement from the saddle that the bike came with.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Wheels 101 Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Wheel cover with non-aero front wheel?

Started by link5485
Views: 1230 Posts: 7

2010-10-24 3:58 PM ditchdoc

Aero Wheels versus Light Wheels

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 5463 Posts: 24

2010-02-13 3:43 PM dscottmd

Aero helmet v. aero wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by wdpresta
Views: 5673 Posts: 32

2009-02-26 4:15 PM smilford

Aero helmet without Aero wheels?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1778 Posts: 9

2008-07-04 10:58 PM jeffy_101

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3547 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.