General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deep Wheels on Roadies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-06 9:46 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Deep Wheels on Roadies
Understanding that, arguably, "aero road bikes" miss the point as true "aero-ness" really is the rider's position.

Still, wonder why some pros still use deep wheels on their roadies. Is there an actual noticeable aero benefit justifying the added weight &/or might it have something to do w/less rolling resistance?

2015-03-06 10:45 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Deep Wheels on Roadies
Looking at the pro's may be a bit misleading… They have to abide by the 6.8kg minimum weight, so you might just as well add the very small extra weight of an aerodynamic wheel set.

Besides, the deeper rims do offer a noticeable advantage.
2015-03-06 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Agreed with above. A lot of pro rides will have ballast added to hit minimum weight. While it may be more beneficial to have lead shot near the BB for stability rather than on rotating mass, an aero wheel will likely always be worth its weight penalty IF you are in clear air. Deep in a peloton, that doesn't matter at all.
So, if you are itching to lead a breakaway, an aero wheelset is a good move.
2015-03-06 1:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by Porfirio Understanding that, arguably, "aero road bikes" miss the point as true "aero-ness" really is the rider's position.

Why do aero road bikes miss the point?  Yes, the largest amount of drag is created by the rider, but aero road bikes focus on the drag that is not created by the rider...and it still has an impact.  Cables, brakes, head tube, seat tube, seat post, down tube, stays, etc...they all see the wind.  Reducing drag in these areas will contribute to making you faster.

Still, wonder why some pros still use deep wheels on their roadies. Is there an actual noticeable aero benefit justifying the added weight &/or might it have something to do w/less rolling resistance?

Do you think that deep wheels help TT bikes but may have no impact on road bikes?  I'm not understanding why you might think this or why you're asking the question.  Yes, deep wheels become somewhat insignificant when riding in a big peloton, but someone has to be in the front eating the wind.  And if you expect to win a race, or contend for the win...eventually you have to put yourself, your bike, and your wheels into the wind.  Or the many other situations during a road race where your wheels can't hide...such as if you're in a breakaway, crosswinds, etc.

As already mentioned, overall weight is usually not an issue for pros given the UCI weight minimum.  Pros on climbing stages may opt for lighter wheels to give them better acceleration for attacks on the last climb.  Still the same overall weight (whether they choose deep or shallow wheels), but reducing a bit of rotational weight when accelerating could mean the difference between marking an attack and getting dropped.

2015-03-06 2:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Memphis, TN
Depends on the elevation gain. If it's flat then heavier doesn't really matter. If you do a lot of climbing while riding then Aero wheels don't really make a difference.

So many of my riding friends have them and swear by them. Then again I live in flat land.
2015-03-06 2:19 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Originally posted by Jtiger Depends on the elevation gain. If it's flat then heavier doesn't really matter.

In terms of the OP, weight doesn't really matter at all since he is referencing pros, who need to meet the UCI weight minimum.  They should be able to meet the minimum weight easily...regardless of what wheel depth they choose.  Weight can matter a hair as I mentioned above...when you are worrying about low speed, but high power accelerations on steep climbs.  In those cases you aren't going fast enough (maybe less than 12 mph) for deep wheels to have a significant impact but the rotational weight's impact on acceleration can be a small factor.  Still small...but races are won and lost by narrow margins...especially if that narrow margin means you lose contact with the other contenders and the potential draft later on in the race.

If you do a lot of climbing while riding then Aero wheels don't really make a difference. So many of my riding friends have them and swear by them. Then again I live in flat land.

Again...it depends.  Most times we have to climb, we also have to descend.  Aero wheels can help you descend faster...most times giving you more speed than you lose for the added weight (assuming we aren't talking about UCI minimum weights anymore).  

The "general" exceptions would be...

1.  You're doing an all uphill race, or a race with a significant net elevation gain.

2.  The descents are so technical that max speed is not an issue because you're constantly braking

3.  You're going to be descending in a group, can draft whoever is leading the descent, and aren't expected to come to the front and do work.

2015-03-06 8:12 PM

User image

Elite

You guys are missing the point.  Some Zipp 404's on a road bike just look TOTALLY IN COMMAND. 

TW

2015-03-07 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by Porfirio

Understanding that, arguably, "aero road bikes" miss the point as true "aero-ness" really is the rider's position.

When Mark Cavendish is laying down 1500 watts, sprinting at 45 mph....do you really think he doesn't want every aero advantage he can get? Don't be fooled by the footage from the feed zone or the parts of the race when no one's pushing the pace.....when the race is on...at the key moments....the pros are in very aero positions on their roadies, cranking out some serious power, and flat out flying.
2015-03-08 5:45 PM

User image

DC
All makes sense. Thanks for all the comments.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deep Wheels on Roadies Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheels?....how deep????

Started by Meulen
Views: 2330 Posts: 20

2011-02-25 9:09 PM tri808

Deep dish wheels?

Started by Surge
Views: 1336 Posts: 10

2010-01-19 7:49 PM 2moremiles

removing the stem from deeper wheels

Started by racinmason
Views: 719 Posts: 3

2007-07-19 8:57 PM briderdt

Deep section carbon wheels, are they worth it

Started by dokeeffe
Views: 1616 Posts: 11

2006-04-09 6:17 PM AusVirgin

Disc/ deep rimmed wheel questions

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 906 Posts: 11

2005-08-23 9:06 PM MobAlTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.