General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MO Trail Runners-Where Do I Park for the Lewis & Clark Trail? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-08 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: MO Trail Runners-Where Do I Park for the Lewis & Clark Trail?
Flying to MO today and staying in O'Fallon for the week on business. After a miserable midwest winter I am dying to get outside. Wednesday is looking to be an amazing day and I googled up and found the Lewis and Clark Trails are only 15 minutes from the hotel

http://alltrails.com/trail/us/missouri/lewis-and-clark-trail

What I can't figure out is where to park to pick up the trailhead. The map from All Trails appears to map to the local High School. Using Google Earth I see a small parking area east of there, but that appears to pick up what looks like a rails to trails type path. Can anyone provide and address or GPS coordinates (or just advice on where to park)? Also, I'll probably only have time for 5.2 mile Clark trail. One of the review on All Trails alludes to the trail not be marked all that well. Any trail intel would be appreciated as well.

THANKS!!!

2015-03-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: AeroBaldness

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: MO Trail Runners-Where Do I Park for the Lewis & Clark Trail?

I run this trail a lot (I live in O'Fallon).  There is a gravel parking lot at the trailhead.  Go south past the high school maybe 1/2 mile (?) and you will see the lot on the left.  It's right at a curve in the road - there are signs there also.  Depending when you go, the lot could be fairly full - it's a popular trail for runners and hikers.  The only issue you might have with the trail markings is down near the creek.  There's a spot where you cross over where it's not really clear where the trail picks up on the other side.  If you're running counter-clockwise, angle to the left across the creek and you should be able to pick up the trail on the other side.  There are also a couple of places where the trail breaks off for overlooks along the river.  Again, stay to the left and you should be able to stay on the trail.  Hope this helps you.  Have fun - it's a great trail to run on, a bit challenging in spots (there are 2 good sized hills) and there may be some mud this week with the snowmelt but I think you'll enjoy it!

Janet

2015-03-08 1:11 PM
in reply to: #5098815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: RE: MO Trail Runners-Where Do I Park for the Lewis & Clark Trail?
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply!!!! Glad I packed the trail runners and not just my pavement shoes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MO Trail Runners-Where Do I Park for the Lewis & Clark Trail? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trail of tears

Started by Syaotblh
Views: 1229 Posts: 6

2011-09-11 1:41 PM Syaotblh

KC Trails

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1155 Posts: 2

2007-06-14 9:02 PM jcdenton2000

Bike trails and Hills

Started by Wizrob13
Views: 1137 Posts: 4

2007-05-16 1:17 PM jcdenton2000

Coors Light Trail of Tears Triathlon

Started by carree5
Views: 2154 Posts: 3

2006-09-06 9:27 PM carree5

Getting to know folks in MO! Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by slovegreen
Views: 9747 Posts: 125

2009-04-02 5:56 PM xcrunner2010
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.