General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 4 minute T1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-14 8:32 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: 4 minute T1
Thought I'd share my T1 horror story in today's frosty 40 degree drenching rain duathlon. Came into T1 3rd out of first run happy with performance thus far. Had ZERO hand dexterity, hands frozen & lil shaky, gloves stuck like glue; therefore, struggled with: Helmet (2 minutes), Socks full of mud trying not step in MORE mud to put bike shoes on (nearly 2 minutes) and a further embarrassing 30 second or so fight with my bike jacket just because I was livid from the horrific experience of watching people come through transition passing me.

And my brother silently recorded this whole gut wrenching scene silently from 20 yards away. I rode mad and hard and made up tons of time, which made it muuuuch easier to stomach this T1.

Thought I'd share and ask to hear some transition disaster stories
TJ

2015-03-14 10:21 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

Subject: RE: 4 minute T1
Cold weather makes for some very interesting and very brutal transitions. I've been there, it's not fun.
2015-03-14 10:36 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TJHammer Thought I'd share my T1 horror story in today's frosty 40 degree drenching rain duathlon. Came into T1 3rd out of first run happy with performance thus far. Had ZERO hand dexterity, hands frozen & lil shaky, gloves stuck like glue; therefore, struggled with: Helmet (2 minutes), Socks full of mud trying not step in MORE mud to put bike shoes on (nearly 2 minutes) and a further embarrassing 30 second or so fight with my bike jacket just because I was livid from the horrific experience of watching people come through transition passing me. And my brother silently recorded this whole gut wrenching scene silently from 20 yards away. I rode mad and hard and made up tons of time, which made it muuuuch easier to stomach this T1. Thought I'd share and ask to hear some transition disaster stories TJ

Does that mean we'll get to see it?

2015-03-14 11:54 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Does that mean we'll get to see it?

^This
2015-03-15 2:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Been there, done that. I think I've had at least two transitions in the 4-5 minute range, both because of violent shivering and numb hands. (One in the Pacific Northwest, and one, believe it or not, in Central Vietnam, where the ocean can be F... cold under certain conditions, and I was also sick at the time, so that didn't help.) In the latter, my left hand was so numb that I had to switch the gear on that side with my right before a monster hill early in the race. I did have a good bike leg, mainly because I was riding so hard to get warm!

But the ultimate sucky transition was a practice one--the day before what was supposed to be my first HIM, it was in the mid 40's and raining, with water temps about 59-60. I did a practice transition after swimming that took me 23 minutes. When I found out later that day that the bike course was being cut to 29 miles due to SNOW on the upper elevations of the course (Oregon in June, albeit course at 4000-6000 feet), I switched to the duathlon, due to total lack of interest in dealing with the swim and T1.
2015-03-15 11:13 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I never had a really bad T1/T2... but my wife's first Tri, she was quick out of the water, had a great T1, a very strong bike (she was in the top 3 at this point) and then a horrible T2. After the race, I asked her what happened. She said "nothing. I talked to someone in the transition about energy bars".

2015-03-15 7:42 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Ha, what a time to chat about energy bars. I'd have to upload the video to a site or something to link. First I'd have to be willing, it was so painful watching myself; it reminded me of the scene in Zoolander where Stiller and Wilson's characters are trying to "break" into the computer
2015-03-16 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, I would hate to see the video of either one--In the US race, I was leading the women's field at the time (first woman out of the water, though kind of in a technical sense as 40+ started five minutes ahead; think I was actually third when you consider that) so all the spectators (plus, louder than any of them, my mother), were yelling at me to get a move on. In the Vietnam race, the woman who ended up winning my AG (I was second) passed me in T1. She was a much stronger biker than me, and I never quite made it up on the run--she gained over 2 minutes on me in T1 and I lost to her by about 45 seconds. Arrrrgh! I lost the AG title in T1.
2015-03-16 8:38 AM

User image

Eagerly awaiting the video !

2015-03-16 8:47 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
You really must post the video.

Just think how many great laughs valuable lessons this would give to other Triathletes.
2015-03-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
My first tri was a ... I don't want to say "disaster," but it definitely was a learning experience. My T1 was more than 5 minutes long, mostly because I was legitimately afraid I wasn't going to get out of the water alive and I needed the extra time to cough up river water and catch my breath.

My first tri of the season last year or the year before had something like 40 degree air temps at race start so I struggled into a long-sleeved shirt in T1. I'm sure it was a hilarious sight as the shirt stuck to my wet body and I couldn't get my head through the neck hole. Making matters worse was that I forgot my race belt, so was trying to keep my number pinned to my shirt without ripping a hole into it, adding to the struggle. I'm very glad my husband WASN'T taking video, or if he was he's kept it quiet since. =)

That said, +1 for posting the video. =)

2015-03-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Denver, CO

The T1 in my 1st tri was something like 8 min. because my wetsuit got stuck on my stupid timing chip.  Took me forever to get the dang thing off so I lost a lot of ground.  Fortunately I'd had a good swim and was able to make it up on the bike and run so I finished 13/24 in my age group.  Would probably have finished much higher if I hadn't lost so much time wrestling with my wetsuit!!  I was able to cut my time in 1/2 on my 2nd tri, but it was still 4 min.  This year, I'm going to trim the legs on the wetsuit so it's easier to get off.

2015-03-16 11:13 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Enjoying the shared stories. Watching people come through transition past you after you worked to build a lead heightens frustration and just doesn't help getting past the fussing over whatever was causing the problem in the 1st place.
video......lemme see if i can work something out
2015-03-16 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

This wasn't me, but a friend of mine and I was volunteering at the HIM race where it happened.  Official results confirm the 40.02 T1.  

Pre-race:  Trying to pump up tires on deep-dish race wheels, pump head doesn't fully fit onto the stem.  Result...flat rear tire.  They announce transition is CLOSING so no time to get it re-inflated.  Friend leaves the transition area with a flat-tire bike.  Distracted, friend misses start of the designated wave and so starts 2 waves late.  Comes out in a still respectable swim time.  (It's a point-to-point swim, so there is a 1.2 mile walk to the swim start.)  

T1:  Friend enters T1, gets flip flops and race wheel and walks from transition area to vehicle to retrieve training wheel.  Walks back, inflates tire and swaps out flat race wheel for inflated training wheel.  Exits T2 normally and completes the race without any additional drama.  

2015-03-16 5:17 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

At an Olympic a few years past, came out of the water with a swim PR for that distance and when I bent over to put my shoes on got an abdominal crap that left me on the ground for several minutes as I tried to breath through it.  I had a pretty major abdominal surgery months prior to this which has left me susceptible to this sort of thing.  Horrible to see a good effort evaporate as folks are going past you.

2015-03-16 5:36 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

At an Olympic a few years past, came out of the water with a swim PR for that distance and when I bent over to put my shoes on got an abdominal crap that left me on the ground for several minutes as I tried to breath through it.  I had a pretty major abdominal surgery months prior to this which has left me susceptible to this sort of thing.  Horrible to see a good effort evaporate as folks are going past you.

Yikes, that's pretty scary. If you don't mind me asking what was your abdominal surgery? I've had 2 so far and had some complications afterwards, but I'm lucky in that it hasn't gotten in the way of my athletics.

2015-03-16 6:00 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by trijamie

Yikes, that's pretty scary. If you don't mind me asking what was your abdominal surgery? I've had 2 so far and had some complications afterwards, but I'm lucky in that it hasn't gotten in the way of my athletics.

Removal of a nasty cancerous tumor that was around my kidney and large intestine.  Had an 8 inch incision middle of my abdomen.  Had about two feet of large intestine removed and sewed back together.  The large intestine is where the cramping usually occurs. 

2015-03-16 7:28 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by trijamie

Removal of a nasty cancerous tumor that was around my kidney and large intestine.  Had an 8 inch incision middle of my abdomen.  Had about two feet of large intestine removed and sewed back together.  The large intestine is where the cramping usually occurs. 

Aw man we should have a secret club! (sorry to hijack the thread a bit here). I had a meckels diverticulum and had a  foot of my small intestines removed and sewed back together, along with a 8 inch or so scar right down the abdomen. Girls dig it. Actually they're probably totally grossed out...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 4 minute T1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My T1 was 25 minutes

Started by jfolks259
Views: 1965 Posts: 13

2013-08-05 11:43 AM BuckHamilton

Minute per mile vs. minute mile calculations

Started by cobannero
Views: 1594 Posts: 6

2005-07-21 12:23 PM Micawber

I took 4 minutes off my time!!!

Started by keepitup
Views: 514 Posts: 6

2004-07-11 7:35 PM kgart

Finally a sub 10 minute mile

Started by azwaterbaby
Views: 1575 Posts: 13

2004-03-17 7:39 PM malvey

minutes vs miles Pages: 1 2

Started by Mac
Views: 2695 Posts: 26

2012-07-05 12:14 PM Bnclev
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.

date : July 4, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
Motivation can be hard to come by some days. Here are a few things I have learned to help stay focused.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
For us beginners, a brick is usually a bike/run combo. This simulates the bike to run transition - many think is the toughest part of the race.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle