Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 54m 48s
Overall Rank = 2840/15216
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 281/940
Pre-race routine:

Had a light breakfast of a cliff bar and gatorade
Event warmup:

Didn't have much time for any significant warm up. I almost didn't make it to the start in time and as a result didn't have time for much of a warm up.
Run
  • 1h 54m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall it was a pretty solid effort. Attempted to keep my heart rate in the low 160's through about the first 10 miles and then pick up the pace. HR was almost my sole means of pacing the effort. HR was almost the only data field I had displayed on the Garmin during the race. I had very little idea during the race if I was on pace to be sub 2 hours let alone beat my time from last year. However, it did seem to help with running my own race and then just letting that effort result in whatever the result was going to be.

As with a lot of my running as of late there continued to be a bit of a disagreement in HR and muscle fatigue. For almost the entire run my heart/lungs seemed to have everything under control. However, by the end my legs felt pretty much shot. This was especially the case for the last three miles. Might just be good pacing though since I pretty much ran out of gas right at the end of the race. I tried to really push it the lat little bit of the race but there just wasn't left in the legs at that point.

Other things of note. My nutrition seemed to workout pretty well. Fluids seemed to be about right but the cold/rain may have masked some of my fluids needs. Calorie intake seemed to be ok as well. I used a Gu 15-20 minutes before the race and then one about every 45 minutes. Ended up using 4 packets. The one thing I did notice was that at about mile 9/10 I started getting real hungry.

Other things of note. Clothing choice seemed to work out ok. Ran with a thin Underarmor long sleeve shirt, tech T-shirt and a really light weight non-waterproof wind breaker. I did not use any running pants. I also used a visor during the run. For the most part those choices worked out well. The visor worked really well in keeping the rain out of my eyes. Overall warmth was ok once we got running but I did start getting cold at about the 10 mile point. Not sure if weather conditions got worse or if my body decided to stop keeping me warm.
What would you do differently?:

I would have eaten a little bit bigger of a real breakfast so I didn't get the pit in my stomach feeling. I also probably should have given myself a little more time to get to the race o I am not rushed so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. With the cold in the rain I just tried to get back to the car and warm up as best as I could.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was probably the biggest impact against a fast time. Effort wise I seemed to be pretty close to a max effort.

Event comments:

Overall it is a good race. The biggest problem with it is the mid march date. The weather in the DC area that time of year is just too unpredictable. Race day it was cold, wet and miserable. The next day would have been a gorgeous day for a race.

Last updated: 2015-03-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:48 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 281/940
Overall: 2840/15216
Performance: Good
Course: Largely flat with one big hill at about the mid point with some small rolling hills on the back half of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-03-16 8:30 AM

Subject: Rock 'n' Roll USA - Half Marathon

2015-03-16 11:53 AM
in reply to: #5101058

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll USA - Half Marathon
Nice job on your sub2 - I think it definitely got colder throughout the day. I took off my jacket (ok, garbage bag) around mile 2. I put it back on after the out-and-back when the wind over the water was high. I never wanted to take it back off again until the last mile, then traded it for a post-race blanket.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll USA - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half Marathon

Started by adamjbosley
Views: 957 Posts: 1

2013-03-16 8:08 PM adamjbosley

Started by runamarathon
Views: 695 Posts: 1

2013-03-16 6:21 PM runamarathon

Started by Queen K
Views: 800 Posts: 1

2012-04-27 2:30 PM Queen K

Started by Acasiano
Views: 732 Posts: 1

2012-03-20 1:46 PM Acasiano

Started by Scalded_Dawg
Views: 1618 Posts: 14

2012-03-19 12:32 PM RoniS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09