General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More power options available Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-17 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: More power options available
Powertap has finally produced more options other then their hub based systems. Nothing too big or new here, just tapping into crank and pedal options. Costs are down which is good for the consumer, and they do have great customer service.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/03/powertap-announces-pedals-and-ch...

Looks like Stages will need to up their game, and curious to see what Quarq does with this, if they do/change anything.

I might just need to walk across the street and pick one up…might.

2015-03-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: More power options available

As with any new product to the market, they will need to be tested thoroughl.  Accuracy, precision, reliability, and durability.  I am liking that the pedals are simply just that...no pods or extra installation procedures.

Competitive pricing is also good for the market.  DC Rainmaker is on record saying that he believes the lifecycle for one sided power measurement is ending soon. Too many other options for total power measurement at competitive prices on the horizon.

2015-03-17 12:05 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

As with any new product to the market, they will need to be tested thoroughl.  Accuracy, precision, reliability, and durability.  I am liking that the pedals are simply just that...no pods or extra installation procedures.

Competitive pricing is also good for the market.  DC Rainmaker is on record saying that he believes the lifecycle for one sided power measurement is ending soon. Too many other options for total power measurement at competitive prices on the horizon.

I saw "accuracy on the chainring meter is 4-7%". I don't know if that is true, but if so, that is a big margin
Pedals : I question the battery life, but hey, we'll see. If they have some way of checking battery level through the head unit, I guess it's OK. 60 hours ? You will be changing batteries every 2 weeks :-)

All power meters when they come out are super exciting. Then we learn of their true shortcomings. Quarq, Stages, Vectors....they all had their issues. I am a strong believer in PT quality, hopefully they did this right.

PS : the "complexity" of the Vector installation process is WAY over stated. I can definitely now swap my Vectors faster than my Quarq.
2015-03-17 2:41 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Yeah, forgot about the battery issue.  That's likely a deal breaker for me, but doesn't seem like something they can't easily modify down the road.  Their justification of being able to buy batteries at a gas station was a bit puzzling.  If you're constantly relying on gas stations to replace dead batteries...that's not something you should be proud about.

I do feel like it is a move in the right direction as far as my ideal power meter.  I fully understand my ideal is not the same as everyone else.  I just want a PM that I can easily swap and not have to worry at all about impacting accuracy.  We all know that there will be good and bad days on the bike through training and racing.  It would drive me absolutely nuts if I had doubt about a good or bad day being really that...or simply installation errors.  Especially considering some of my biggest races involve travel and removing my pedals.  Doubting accurate numbers can be just as bad as using inaccurate numbers as far as driving your training and racing.

FTR, I can swap my Quarq faster than I can swap standard pedals.  Mostly due to ease of leverage and one act of loosening and tightening versus two.

2015-03-17 3:13 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
More downward pressure on power meter prices... I'd expect that Quarq/P2M/Stages/etc would be looking at some adjustments soon, so either way this should benefit consumers. I certainly see these offerings as a bigger threat that the 4iii.
2015-03-17 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The decision to use AAA batteries is going to cost a lot of sales.  I can't believe they went in that direction.

2015-03-17 5:34 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by msteiner

The decision to use AAA batteries is going to cost a lot of sales.  I can't believe they went in that direction.

Apparently the usual coin CR2032 batteries weren't up to snuff on power output.  I do think 60 hrs is a bit short - I wonder if they can report the status of the battery to a head unit?

2015-03-17 6:35 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by msteiner

Apparently the usual coin CR2032 batteries weren't up to snuff on power output.  I do think 60 hrs is a bit short - I wonder if they can report the status of the battery to a head unit?

60 hours life in the P1 does seem short, Vectors are supposedly rated at 175 hours with a 2032 and it has half the power capability of a AAA.  Must be something to do with the electronics as each strain gauge (8) has "a dedicated corresponding processor to it".  I think this is going to cost them sales with a $1200 price point.

2015-03-17 10:58 PM

Not sure why the battery life is an issue for everybody. My best guess; I spend 15 minutes every 30 hours cleaning up my drivetrain etc. I'd anticipate having a batch of rechargeable lithium ion batteries that I rotate through every time I do maintenance on my bike. Looks like it's simple to access the battery port so would take all of 1 minute to change two batteries, then drop the old ones in the charger.
2015-03-18 5:43 AM

User image

Master
Power meters are still expensive for most people. If the 4iii is really <$400 and accurate it may change things.
2015-03-18 5:53 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Love the customer service of PowerTap, but these won't be an option for me due to the proprietary chain rings. I'm using Q-rings on all my bikes…. And even if I didn't, I don't know if I would want to get stuck with one brand of rings if the only option is FSA...

2015-03-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by burhed Not sure why the battery life is an issue for everybody. My best guess; I spend 15 minutes every 30 hours cleaning up my drivetrain etc. I'd anticipate having a batch of rechargeable lithium ion batteries that I rotate through every time I do maintenance on my bike. Looks like it's simple to access the battery port so would take all of 1 minute to change two batteries, then drop the old ones in the charger.

Because in the year 2015 having 60hrs of battery life is unacceptable when every other PM option more than doubles it at worst case.  This feels like a step backwards.

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-18 10:54 AM
2015-03-18 11:48 AM
in reply to: msteiner

I also don't see the big issue with the battery. Although, I only ride about 6 hours a week, so I'd be getting almost 10 weeks per battery. According to DCRainmaker, the coin cell didn't provide enough power. The "plug and play" is what would sell me on the pedals over Garmin. Unfortunately they're still more than I want to spend. So I'm torn between the hub and the C1...
2015-03-20 10:55 AM
in reply to: Pilot87

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
The durability of the pedal upon contact with the ground will be another big issue.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More power options available Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Options : Garmin Vector v. Power Tap

Started by swiss tri
Views: 2682 Posts: 17

2014-02-10 2:02 PM JohnnyKay

Power options

Started by louiskie
Views: 1426 Posts: 22

2011-03-05 12:42 AM YeaJackson

Buying a Power Meter....Options?

Started by 15step
Views: 2058 Posts: 18

2011-09-20 4:34 AM leftrunner

power tap wheel options Pages: 1 2

Started by trix
Views: 3377 Posts: 27

2010-05-07 10:30 PM trix

Power Tap wheel option

Started by KathyG
Views: 2282 Posts: 7

2009-05-21 7:53 AM lrobb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.