General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Duathlon- Socks... or sockless? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-17 1:44 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: Duathlon- Socks... or sockless?
So... I should probably make this a pole, but I wanna hear from ya'll. Socks or no Socks for a Duathlon... obviously I do Tri's sockless, but I prefer socks for (most) training... but what about Du's?

2015-03-17 1:55 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: Duathlon- Socks... or sockless?

I've only done about 4 Duathlons, but have always gone sockless.  They all were Sprint distance races, so only 7.5 kms total running.

I wear Zoot OVWAs which are very comfortable on bare feet, but would considering going with socks for an International/Olympic distance Duathlon.

2015-03-17 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

If you are a person that typically prefers to run and ride with socks, I do not see the downside to racing a DU with them.  Not like you have to take any time to put them on as in a tri. .

2015-03-17 2:24 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Agreed. Your preference here - as long as you aren't changing socks.  It isn't like a triathlon where you come out of the water to put on socks and shoes and it bites your T1 time. 

I've done three dus and i always wore socks but I also always wear them in tris too. 

2015-03-17 5:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Whatever works for you. My shoes have been meant more for socks, so I've worn them. I have a pair of tri bike shoes now that fit better without socks than with, so I'll likely go without this coming year.

Edited by brigby1 2015-03-17 5:23 PM
2015-03-17 8:09 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I race duathlons most of the time (only tri's if I have no other option…) and I'm always sock less. Part of that is the flying mount just won't work with socks (although I guess you could technically run in socks, but getting you feet in the shoes would be a challenge) and part is that I prefer running sock less.

2015-03-17 8:29 PM

I have always worn socks for a Du. I do not have a need not to wear them during a Du. During a Tri there is a reason not to wear socks, i. e. having to put them on wet feet. During a Du I have them on from the beginning of the race, so there is no struggle when trying to get socks on wet feet like there is during a Tri. The reason I do not wear socks in a Tri is it slows down transition, not the case during a Du.
2015-03-18 5:55 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by 5stones

I have always worn socks for a Du. I do not have a need not to wear them during a Du. During a Tri there is a reason not to wear socks, i. e. having to put them on wet feet. During a Du I have them on from the beginning of the race, so there is no struggle when trying to get socks on wet feet like there is during a Tri. The reason I do not wear socks in a Tri is it slows down transition, not the case during a Du.

I don't know if I agree with this… the only time I can see that it won't slow you down is if you keep the same shoes on for the entire race… or if you run in your socks and then mount the bike, but somehow I see that as unlikely.

But I do agree that if you are more comfortable with socks, the small time loss may still be worth it.
2015-03-18 7:04 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by audiojan
Originally posted by 5stones I have always worn socks for a Du. I do not have a need not to wear them during a Du. During a Tri there is a reason not to wear socks, i. e. having to put them on wet feet. During a Du I have them on from the beginning of the race, so there is no struggle when trying to get socks on wet feet like there is during a Tri. The reason I do not wear socks in a Tri is it slows down transition, not the case during a Du.
I don't know if I agree with this… the only time I can see that it won't slow you down is if you keep the same shoes on for the entire race… or if you run in your socks and then mount the bike, but somehow I see that as unlikely. But I do agree that if you are more comfortable with socks, the small time loss may still be worth it.

What about the bike mount is making sock use difficult? Bunching up? Picking up pebbles?

2015-03-18 7:14 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by audiojan
Originally posted by 5stones I have always worn socks for a Du. I do not have a need not to wear them during a Du. During a Tri there is a reason not to wear socks, i. e. having to put them on wet feet. During a Du I have them on from the beginning of the race, so there is no struggle when trying to get socks on wet feet like there is during a Tri. The reason I do not wear socks in a Tri is it slows down transition, not the case during a Du.
I don't know if I agree with this… the only time I can see that it won't slow you down is if you keep the same shoes on for the entire race… or if you run in your socks and then mount the bike, but somehow I see that as unlikely. But I do agree that if you are more comfortable with socks, the small time loss may still be worth it.

What about the bike mount is making sock use difficult? Bunching up? Picking up pebbles?

My question as well. I've done many dus with socks- on paved transition areas- with no problems whatsoever. If anything your feet slide into the on-the-bike shoes easier.

2015-03-18 9:01 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Only done one duathlon and chose to wear socks, compression socks up to the knee actually (I was struggling with shin splints at the time).  My only concern was running through transition with them but luckily the ground wasn't overly wet or muddy.  I can't see how it makes any difference to transition time whether you are wearing socks or not.

2015-03-19 6:19 AM
in reply to: #5101501

User image

, North Carolina
Well this is all good info and helpful hearing from everyone... But it seems to be fairly split... I am mostly worried about running in socks for the flying mount etc. And getting stuff caught in them. I may just bring socks and decided while setting up in transition depending on if it's paved and dry or what not.

-Nate
2015-03-19 8:51 PM

User image

OK...my races were in the mid to late 90's...many Sprint distance races....I wore my running shoes (sneakers) for all three legs with toe clips on the bike. In a sprint distance race, the bike leg was only 10-15 miles. As the race progressed you managed to settle in with a group prior to entering T1/T2..It was a great feeling to get out of T1-T2 approx. 1 - 2 minutes faster than the group you entered with....especially being and older runner...45-50 at the time.In a sprint , I don't think speed I might have lost on the bike was offset by the faster transition times....3 minutes saved over an hour long race can be big in age group placing. I haven't raced since 2003...I would imagine that things might be different today...the sport seems to be so equipment centered, that biking in sneakers might be too radical for serious consideration. I know that if I ever get back to a race, I'll find those toe clips in the garage.....that extra 3 minutes is even more valuable in your 60's.
2015-03-21 6:52 AM
in reply to: NJBIll

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by NJBIll OK...my races were in the mid to late 90's...many Sprint distance races....I wore my running shoes (sneakers) for all three legs with toe clips on the bike. In a sprint distance race, the bike leg was only 10-15 miles. As the race progressed you managed to settle in with a group prior to entering T1/T2..It was a great feeling to get out of T1-T2 approx. 1 - 2 minutes faster than the group you entered with....especially being and older runner...45-50 at the time.In a sprint , I don't think speed I might have lost on the bike was offset by the faster transition times....3 minutes saved over an hour long race can be big in age group placing. I haven't raced since 2003...I would imagine that things might be different today...the sport seems to be so equipment centered, that biking in sneakers might be too radical for serious consideration. I know that if I ever get back to a race, I'll find those toe clips in the garage.....that extra 3 minutes is even more valuable in your 60's.

If someone is taking 1-2 minutes longer than you in a short transition then they are doing it wrong. I usually had nearly as fast or faster transitions than experienced duathletes who wore their running shoes throughout.

2015-03-21 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5101961

User image

, North Carolina
Thought I'd give a race report... I decided to take socks and decided while setting up transition. I decided for socks since it was a small field, small transition area, paved, clean , and dry all in all it went well... Transitions were my best leg of the event with a 31" T1 and a 41" T2... The longer T2 was for grabbing a quick drink since I was suffering from cramps... But that's another story
2015-03-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

I was speaking from the perspective of a mid to back of the pack participant in local races. Sure, racers is this group probably do many things wrong, but they all do one thing right...they enter the race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Duathlon- Socks... or sockless? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Socks on the trainer, sockless outside?

Started by michael_runs
Views: 790 Posts: 4

2012-06-13 6:37 PM DanielG

Duathlon - go sockless?

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 940 Posts: 4

2010-10-06 1:07 PM newbz

Socks or No Socks? Pages: 1 2

Started by Lukester1980
Views: 2763 Posts: 27

2008-04-15 2:15 PM Daremo

Socks or No Socks during race?

Started by Hazelmn
Views: 1352 Posts: 11

2007-05-29 8:05 AM Marvarnett

Socks or No Socks?

Started by BWA$
Views: 1403 Posts: 6

2003-08-11 9:01 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.