General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Logistics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-18 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Subject: Race Day Logistics
Just a few quick questions on how you all go about dealing with some race day logistics. For reference, I am doing an IM so that’s why I’m asking these questions since the answer might be different for shorter races.

1) If you wear contacts, do you wear them during the swim? I just recently got contacts and find that if I wear my contacts in the pool, my eyes seem irritated near the end of my swim. This may be worse on race day and I’m not sure if it’s something worth risking. I know it’s different in a race since I will hopefully not have to take my goggles off but do you all risk it and swim with contacts or just have extras?

2) I don’t have extensive experience with longer bike rides or bibs but from what I have heard, once I use bibs I won’t go back. I am not trying to race for time and am really just concerned with finishing strong and healthy. With that, does anyone use biking shorts or bibs and just take the extra time to change or do you only wear a tri suit and deal with the less comfortable (IMO) option on race day?

Thanks in advance!

2015-03-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Subject: RE: Race Day Logistics
Good luck on your training for IM.

This is all based on my personal experience which is one season of racing with Half IM distance being max distance....so keep in mind that I'm a relative newbie myself.

I wear my contacts all the time. I swim with them, but I just make sure that I get a good seal on my goggles before starting the race. I do, however, keep a spare pair at transition, just in case. I'm so blind without them that if something were to happen in the swim, that I wouldn't be able to see the road or racers in front of me without them. I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with my contacts yet.

As for the whole bibs discussion...I've never tried them, so my advice is limited here. I've never tried them because I've always worried about what happens when trying to use the restroom. If I were wearing bibs, I probably would have a tri tank top over it. Logistically speaking, I would have a hell of a time trying to pull the straps of the bib off without taking off the tank. It has always seemed easier to me to wear a tank and tri shorts. This could also be a gender issue as I'm female and need the tri top. I also refuse to pee on my bike. I'm not racing for a podium, so I have no problem with taking 1-2 minutes out of my already long day to use the port-a-pottle, but I don't want to turn this into 10-15 minutes while trying to struggle out of wet clothing.
2015-03-18 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Do you need your contacts on the bike and run?

Since your prescription sounds fairly mild, you may be able to get away with prescription goggles if that interests you. Then you wouldn't have to worry about contacts or irritation - and could wear your glasses for the rest of the race.

I'm so blind I have to wear my contacts for the entire race to see anything but blobs, so yes I wear mine on the swim (and also have a spare in transition).

Edited by lisac957 2015-03-18 11:35 AM
2015-03-18 11:37 AM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Extreme Veteran
I always wear my contacts during races. I slip an extra pair in my tri bag or T1 bag in case I have a problem. You can always put some eye drops in your T1 bag as well if you feel you may experience eye irritation or dryness. In the many races I've done, I've never lost a contact or had an issue with a contact during a race. Sunglasses on the bike will keep the wind from drying out your contacts as well.

I wore a 2 piece tri suit for the swim and bike portions of my IM. I slipped on a running tank in T2 for the run, because my tri top starts to irritate me around the underarm area. I kept on my tri shorts for the entire 140.6. Plenty of people do the entire race in the same outfit. Others opt to change for the run. If you're looking to save precious time, then don't change anything. If you're not worried about time and want comfort (or dry clothes or whatever), then change. It's all an individual thing.

Good luck!
2015-03-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: #5101730

User image

, North Carolina
I remember my first few years of contacts. Now, they are such second nature, I rarely have problems. I swim with mine as well.

Nothing new on race day. Practice what your going to do over and over.

For an ironman I'd invest in a trisuit or tri top/bottom combo.
2015-03-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Originally posted by Nick B

I remember my first few years of contacts. Now, they are such second nature, I rarely have problems. I swim with mine as well.

Nothing new on race day. Practice what your going to do over and over.

For an ironman I'd invest in a trisuit or tri top/bottom combo.

This. If the race is hot then you can wear your 2-piece tri suit for the whole course. If the race is cold you may want to go change your tri top at T1 but then you should be goodto go for the rest of the race. Some people like to change bottoms at T2 but I have foud this to be unnecessary. I would stay away from the bibs. Get used to riding long with the tri-bottoms and it will make your day much simpler. Changing tents suck anyway.

2015-03-18 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I swim with my contacts and have never had a problem.  I have never thought about putting a spare pair in T1, thanks for that idea.  The irritation you experience may be the chlorine, which won't be an issue during an IM.

I do have a pair of bibs but I don't really like them as I find the straps over my shoulders uncomfortable.  I would not want to be having to change during a race.  It is just one more thing to have to think about - what if you forget in the heat of the moment and discover the bibs start to really chafe after 2 miles into the run...

2015-03-18 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5101812

User image

, North Carolina
I'll add that I started cycling with tri shorts and then got cycling bibs. I like them both. Each serve a purpose.

Depending on where you are in triathlon, you could probably just get some tri shorts and train in those then for the race just throw a t shirt on in t1.

For my first tri this is what I did. Got some tri shorts and wore the both cycling and swimming for just about my entire training and race. The chlorine wore them out but it gave me a good idea about what I wanted for the future.

Make sure you get some running in just the tri shorts in to make sure you don't have any chafing issues.
2015-03-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Thanks for the advice all! When I was in my LBS I was sold on bibs but I do have a good tri kit and plan on getting another one to represent Team RWB . Hearing all of your responses, I think I will make race day easier and just use a kit! And as a new contact wearer, I will listen to you all and just have some extras, just in case even though my prescription is very mild and I would have no problems finishing without them.

Thanks!
2015-03-19 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

No advice on the contacts.  

Bibs versus tri-shorts?  I've done 3IM distance races and do a full change.  Swimsuit--Bibs-Running shorts.  

I like the bibs for full coverage on my lower back.  Read IM race reports and notice how many of them include something about not getting enough sunscreen on that part of your back.  I find them very comfortable.  Tri shorts are OK (I've worn them up through HIM distance).  

I don't like riding wet, especially for a long race.  My first IM, the predicted high for the day was 62F.  Get on the bike wet and start riding in Z1.  You aren't generating a lot of heat to dry off and keep warm.  I did an OLY in a tri kit and was cold and numb the entire 1:15 I rode.  Big difference in the effort to ride 20 mph (OLY distance) and 18 mph (IM distance) for someone like me.  

If you're doing the race in your tri kit, do some of your long runs in the sweat-soaked and crusty kit.  Yuk...but you may experience chafing that you don't experience starting in a clean kit.  Wearing it the whole race means you aren't starting your run in a fresh kit.  

Those are the reasons I take the time to change completely in a long race.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Logistics Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

race day logistics (i.e. how to not look like a newb) Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by michael_runs
Views: 9391 Posts: 142

2012-02-14 10:03 AM japarker24

First Ironman race (70.3) questions about transitions and logistics

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 3884 Posts: 5

2011-09-07 12:06 PM lisac957

Races with pool swim - Strategy and Logistics?

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 2356 Posts: 16

2011-05-02 10:29 AM cstoulil

2 a days logistics

Started by Nakima
Views: 815 Posts: 11

2005-12-14 7:14 AM Daremo

Race Logistics

Started by selianth
Views: 983 Posts: 2

2004-07-27 1:33 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : April 13, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 3
Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.
date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.