General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midwest to mountains Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-19 12:41 AM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: Midwest to mountains
Hi folks I'll be traveling to Denver next week for a conference and wanted to know if it would be a bad idea to do some 3 mile runs during the week. I am concerned about the elevation changes to my typical Iowa running. I've never ran anywhere other than here in the Midwest, so just wanted to check before I possibly did something stupid hehe

2015-03-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Midwest to mountains

Enjoy the running.

2015-03-19 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
You may find it a bit more difficult to breathe so just go a little slower. Should be fine otherwise.
2015-03-19 4:30 PM
in reply to: Donskiman

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I live in the hills and can't avoid them - I know, I know I should love them. Do you run downhill? I notice my knees will hurt, so I've been walking the downhills, should I run them assuming my knees will adjust?
2015-03-19 4:37 PM
in reply to: Donskiman

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Donskiman You may find it a bit more difficult to breathe so just go a little slower. Should be fine otherwise.

Pretty much this. So that you can:

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Enjoy the running.

2015-03-19 4:39 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by MuscleMomma I live in the hills and can't avoid them - I know, I know I should love them. Do you run downhill? I notice my knees will hurt, so I've been walking the downhills, should I run them assuming my knees will adjust?

How big and steep are the hills? Any idea how to quantify them? It can be rather easy to fall into overstraining on them. That is, extending your stride length out farther than you should or are really able to even though it may feel fine.

2015-03-19 9:52 PM
in reply to: #5101955

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Thanks folks, just wanted to make sure I'm being safe out there. Time to pack my running gear for the trip!
2015-03-20 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I went from Indiana and ran in Boulder last spring. No issue with the elevation. HR was a bit elevated for the pace, but I had no problems. Make sure to drink enough if you end up going farther. The dry air can fool you.
2015-03-27 10:10 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by nickster

I went from Indiana and ran in Boulder last spring. No issue with the elevation. HR was a bit elevated for the pace, but I had no problems. Make sure to drink enough if you end up going farther. The dry air can fool you.

Yeah I could definitely notice the dry air but the elevation did not do as much as I thought it would. I stayed at the Hyatt in Denver and they had an outside track (which I've never seen before) so I avoided city running. I heard Speer road has a nice trail but I never made it out that way because halfway through my time out there I got a wicked stomach bug (let's just say I spent half of one day in the bathroom), yikes! Just thought I'd give an update on my experience.
2015-03-27 11:49 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Intended to reply but somehow forgot. Glad you were able to enjoy a few runs before you got sick! Anyway, what I'd planned to say is that if you're healthy, doing easy training at Denver's elevation shouldn't carry any risk of altitude illness, etc. You just need to be prepared to slow down, stay hydrated, and listen to your body. I've done plenty of training and races up to about 9,000 feet, and really noticed little effect other than slowing down somewhat, and needing to adjust my breathing pattern to every other stroke, instead of every 3-4, when swimming.

Above 9,000-10,000 feet, the risk of serious altitude illness is much greater if you are not properly acclimatized. Still, I've had some amazing runs at/above that altitude--the Potala prayer circuit in Lhasa, for example, and on the trails around Namche Bazaar in Nepal. You just have to build up to it gradually, by ascending slowly and/or working up to running with some walking/hiking at altitude first, and take it really easy, particularly when running/riding uphill.
2015-03-28 5:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Intended to reply but somehow forgot. Glad you were able to enjoy a few runs before you got sick! Anyway, what I'd planned to say is that if you're healthy, doing easy training at Denver's elevation shouldn't carry any risk of altitude illness, etc. You just need to be prepared to slow down, stay hydrated, and listen to your body. I've done plenty of training and races up to about 9,000 feet, and really noticed little effect other than slowing down somewhat, and needing to adjust my breathing pattern to every other stroke, instead of every 3-4, when swimming.

Above 9,000-10,000 feet, the risk of serious altitude illness is much greater if you are not properly acclimatized. Still, I've had some amazing runs at/above that altitude--the Potala prayer circuit in Lhasa, for example, and on the trails around Namche Bazaar in Nepal. You just have to build up to it gradually, by ascending slowly and/or working up to running with some walking/hiking at altitude first, and take it really easy, particularly when running/riding uphill.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom Hot Runner. I forgot to mention in my post that I don't believe it was altitude induced but more likely the uncommon salad/salmon I ate earlier that day. I ate a lot of unusual foods that day at the conference (live and learn hehe) and my stomach is still a little uneasy, so I'm taking it slow (i.e. neutral foods) with what I eat for the next week and waiting until my stomach is okay before jumping back into my running. What was bad was I got the stomach bug the day before I had to give my presentation, Ha!

Edited by ChemNerd23 2015-03-28 5:02 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midwest to mountains Rss Feed