General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did I do wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-21 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: What did I do wrong?
So I stepped up in distance for the first time from sprint to oly. My third tri, the second after a full hip replacement. Because of the surgery I have been doing very little running.

This was a reverse tri so the athletes would spread out naturally for a pool swim. As a result I had to press the run hard as the opener. I came in at 1:02,not fast for most people but good for me. Still I was way at the back of the pack.

I jumped on the bike with the intent to make up some ground. I turned it at 22 MPH, easily the fastest I have done.

Then I hit the pool. As soon as I hit the water both feet cramped up. I was using almost no kick but going, slowly. Then after about 500 yards my calf cramped. All I could do is roll over and swim backstroke. It was ok as I swam backstroke in HS albeit 40 years ago.

So I finished but clearly it was a painful finish. Was it because I simply pushed too hard on the run and bike or could I have prevented the cramps with a better nutrition plan?

I ran with a mix of Powerade and OJ drinking about 12 oz consumed. This is my drink of choice on long rides which has worked well for me, even on 3 hour rides. Had only Powwerade, again only drinking about 12 oz on the bike.

Someone suggested that I should have been taking more salt for several days before the event.

So any suggestions would be welcome.

2015-03-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: What did I do wrong?
While cramping is not completely understood and is multi-factorial, I would suggest that your cramping is entirely due to pushing hard on the run and bike before swimming.

Fatigue will very often lead to cramping, especially when you push hard early in a race.

Congratulations on the finish and stepping up the distance!

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2015-03-21 8:24 PM
2015-03-21 10:14 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

How's your swim fitness? This is most likely a fitness issue, you either overcooked the run and bike or you you were overcooking your swim.
2015-03-21 10:25 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I don't think it was over doing the swim. Both feet started to cramp in the first 10 yards. Did I overdo the run and bike, likely.
2015-03-21 11:09 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Congratulations on the step up in distance and the really nice performance.

The above answers are likely true, that you pushed the run and bike too hard. But.....calf and foot cramping is not unusual at all in the water in a reverse tri. Something about the cool water after doing two leg-focused activities.

Last year at Triple T they explicitly warned us about how often this happens in the Bike Swim Run format race and warned us to go easy in the water to try to prevent it. While I was swimming I could feel my calves wanting to cramp but they never did. I was still able to get out of the water and run even after walking the fine line of leg cramps while in the water.

I wouldn't necessarily change much about how you raced. I would just file this away in the "this can happen" part of your brain. I suspect you are not terribly likely to have this kind of issue with a SBR format.
2015-03-22 9:41 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks Jason. That does make sense. Next time I do a reverse I will pay more attention to how I begin my swim. Would it make sense to do any stretches even for just a brief time before jumping in to the water? I know it would consume some time but had I been able to do a normal swim I would have more than made up for it yesterday.

2015-03-23 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Stuartap So I stepped up in distance for the first time from sprint to oly. My third tri, the second after a full hip replacement. Because of the surgery I have been doing very little running. This was a reverse tri so the athletes would spread out naturally for a pool swim. As a result I had to press the run hard as the opener. I came in at 1:02,not fast for most people but good for me. Still I was way at the back of the pack. I jumped on the bike with the intent to make up some ground. I turned it at 22 MPH, easily the fastest I have done. Then I hit the pool. As soon as I hit the water both feet cramped up. I was using almost no kick but going, slowly. Then after about 500 yards my calf cramped. All I could do is roll over and swim backstroke. It was ok as I swam backstroke in HS albeit 40 years ago. So I finished but clearly it was a painful finish. Was it because I simply pushed too hard on the run and bike or could I have prevented the cramps with a better nutrition plan? I ran with a mix of Powerade and OJ drinking about 12 oz consumed. This is my drink of choice on long rides which has worked well for me, even on 3 hour rides. Had only Powwerade, again only drinking about 12 oz on the bike. Someone suggested that I should have been taking more salt for several days before the event. So any suggestions would be welcome.

As others have said. it was almost certainly run and bike pacing.  Look at what you said in the bold above.

Pacing did you in.

2015-03-23 1:33 PM

User image

Pro

As above.  it's race day and you just overdid it a bit.  (yay!)  Stellar bike speed- and probably worth the extra effort, time wise, even given the slower swim.  

FWIW- I 'barely' kick when I swim- and I'm a pretty decent swimmer.  I often come out of the water and cannot immediately run to T1 due to cramping calves.  I need to walk and stretch them for a little bit (maybe 15-30 seconds... but wow, that seems like a world of time), before I can start moving.  granted, my example is in the reverse of yours, but perhaps it just has something to do with blood flow, body position, and how you're using your muscles.  Basically, they're all warmed up and flowing to be used in a certain way, and then you ask them to be used in a different way.  Takes your physiology a little to readjust.

Many a triathlete (er... and me) has come of the bike, and not be able to run for the first 1/2 mile until their calves readjust.  common.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did I do wrong? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 990 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2925 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee

I'm doing this all wrong aren't I?

Started by edwino
Views: 1234 Posts: 16

2005-07-28 11:22 PM us50090

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1890 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci

HR on Run...Am I doing something wrong?

Started by swgtri
Views: 1511 Posts: 9

2005-02-24 10:51 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!