General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling sick after swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-22 8:33 PM

User image

Subject: Feeling sick after swimming
Hi, I am training for my first triathlon and have been trying to swim twice a week (I started about 6 months ago.) I find that after every swim, later in the day, I start to feel sick (hot and cold, stuffed up sinuses, lack of energy and lethargy). The feeling goes away after a few hours, but I'm finding it hard to swim before work because I feel crappy for the rest of the day. I've tried swimming at night before bed, but just feel crappy the next day. I thought it was a chlorine sensitivity so I joined the Y, where they use UV and less chlorine, and the same thing happened after I swam today. I'm getting a bit discouraged because I really want to add swimming to my cross training but am getting sick of feeling "sick". Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks!

2015-03-22 9:51 PM
in reply to: julieruns

Subject: RE: Feeling sick after swimming
Originally posted by julieruns

Hi, I am training for my first triathlon and have been trying to swim twice a week (I started about 6 months ago.) I find that after every swim, later in the day, I start to feel sick (hot and cold, stuffed up sinuses, lack of energy and lethargy). The feeling goes away after a few hours, but I'm finding it hard to swim before work because I feel crappy for the rest of the day. I've tried swimming at night before bed, but just feel crappy the next day. I thought it was a chlorine sensitivity so I joined the Y, where they use UV and less chlorine, and the same thing happened after I swam today. I'm getting a bit discouraged because I really want to add swimming to my cross training but am getting sick of feeling "sick". Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks!

I swim about 12km a week in 3 different pools, 2 outdoor, 1 indoor. The indoor pool which seems more chlorinated always gives me problems, I sneeze incessantly all day long, my nose and sinuses get blocked up and I feel like I have a cold. I don't feel sick, like I'm going to vomit, but I do feel crappy. From what I've read it's the chlorine. Perhaps try a saline nasal spray after swimming and/or nose plug.
2015-03-23 7:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by julieruns

Thanks!

Can't help you on feeling sick, just info.
The dept of health regulates public pools they are all required to keep the chlorine levels within a certain limit. If someone at the Y tells you they keep there levels lower they are lying. There is free chlorine and reacted chlorine in pools indoor pools tend to have more reacted chlorine in them. An outdoor pool the chlorine will get burnt off by the sun and tends to be less of an issue for people who are sensitive. If you believe chlorine to be the issue than make sure you shower after every swim.
2015-03-23 9:13 AM

User image

Carmel, Indiana
Not sick but I have lost most of the hair on my arms and some on my legs. My wife asked me a week ago if I had shaved my legs. So now I am more aero on the bike, I got that going for me.
2015-03-23 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Had a similar issue, mostly felt like I had a sinus infection the rest of the day after swimming. I read on here to put vaseline in your nose before swimming, so I gave it a try. Incredibly it worked and I have not had problems since. In fact, I do the same when I go in my backyard pool.
2015-03-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

i use a nasal spray before swimming to avoid the congestion issue.  Fluticasone propionate.  It is allowed by USADA and works like a charm for me.

2015-03-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: #5102628

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not to get this off track- but do you shower before you swim? My skin deals with chlorine much better if I shower first (I assume it soaks up the fresh water and then there is less need to soak up chlorine water). My hair also appreciates a rinse before swimming.
2015-03-23 11:10 AM
in reply to: #5102752

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'd like to know more about the Vaseline in the nose- how much- where exactly do you put it?
2015-03-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I'd like to know more about the Vaseline in the nose- how much- where exactly do you put it?

With a Q-tip if you want to be hygenic. Around the rim of nostril and around walls on inner nostril at least half way in for me. I usually use Boroleum (has some menthol in there for better breathing. A saline nasal flush afterwards can really help flush out lingering chlorine for those hyper sensitive. If the OP has same issues in long open water swims then this presumption it's chlorine related is out the window
2015-03-23 11:30 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by julieruns Hi, I am training for my first triathlon and have been trying to swim twice a week (I started about 6 months ago.) I find that after every swim, later in the day, I start to feel sick (hot and cold, stuffed up sinuses, lack of energy and lethargy). The feeling goes away after a few hours, but I'm finding it hard to swim before work because I feel crappy for the rest of the day. I've tried swimming at night before bed, but just feel crappy the next day. I thought it was a chlorine sensitivity so I joined the Y, where they use UV and less chlorine, and the same thing happened after I swam today. I'm getting a bit discouraged because I really want to add swimming to my cross training but am getting sick of feeling "sick". Anyone else have this happen? Thanks!

Can't help you on feeling sick, just info. The dept of health regulates public pools they are all required to keep the chlorine levels within a certain limit. If someone at the Y tells you they keep there levels lower they are lying. There is free chlorine and reacted chlorine in pools indoor pools tend to have more reacted chlorine in them. An outdoor pool the chlorine will get burnt off by the sun and tends to be less of an issue for people who are sensitive. If you believe chlorine to be the issue than make sure you shower after every swim.

Are you saying a pool that uses UV still uses chlorine, just a lower level?  If it's regulated then I'm assuming there are "acceptable mins/maxes" when used in conjunction with UV just like there would be limits with straight up chlorine..

My pool switched to a UV (I believe that's what they called it) system and we do  not smell chlorine in any way.  Whether during the swim or when I hang my suit and towel at home when i get home at night (swim before work).

Before the change to a UV system, despite rinsing my suit thoroughly, it would make our entire laundry room smell like bleach...

I had assumed the UV system completely replaced chlorine... I guess even if there is still some in the pool it's drastically less... My skin, eyes and nose are much more appreciative of the new system..

2015-03-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by julieruns Hi, I am training for my first triathlon and have been trying to swim twice a week (I started about 6 months ago.) I find that after every swim, later in the day, I start to feel sick (hot and cold, stuffed up sinuses, lack of energy and lethargy). The feeling goes away after a few hours, but I'm finding it hard to swim before work because I feel crappy for the rest of the day. I've tried swimming at night before bed, but just feel crappy the next day. I thought it was a chlorine sensitivity so I joined the Y, where they use UV and less chlorine, and the same thing happened after I swam today. I'm getting a bit discouraged because I really want to add swimming to my cross training but am getting sick of feeling "sick". Anyone else have this happen? Thanks!

Can't help you on feeling sick, just info. The dept of health regulates public pools they are all required to keep the chlorine levels within a certain limit. If someone at the Y tells you they keep there levels lower they are lying. There is free chlorine and reacted chlorine in pools indoor pools tend to have more reacted chlorine in them. An outdoor pool the chlorine will get burnt off by the sun and tends to be less of an issue for people who are sensitive. If you believe chlorine to be the issue than make sure you shower after every swim.

Are you saying a pool that uses UV still uses chlorine, just a lower level?  If it's regulated then I'm assuming there are "acceptable mins/maxes" when used in conjunction with UV just like there would be limits with straight up chlorine..

My pool switched to a UV (I believe that's what they called it) system and we do  not smell chlorine in any way.  Whether during the swim or when I hang my suit and towel at home when i get home at night (swim before work).

Before the change to a UV system, despite rinsing my suit thoroughly, it would make our entire laundry room smell like bleach...

I had assumed the UV system completely replaced chlorine... I guess even if there is still some in the pool it's drastically less... My skin, eyes and nose are much more appreciative of the new system..

UV kills the germs going through the UV light after the filter, it does nothing to kill the germs in the pool. So it depends on circulating the water under the UV system. Chlorine is still required in these pools.

The chlorine that you typically smell is the reacted chlorine(unless the pool is way over-chlorinated which is not usually the case), a properly chlorinated pool that has mostly free chlorine and at proper ph levels does not have much or any chlorine smell. This is a mis-conception with salt water pools as well, they use a catalyst system to break salt down into it's elements half of that being chlorine. The chlorine and the sodium then come together again in the pool but it takes time, so the constant breaking of these bonds is enough to keep the entire pool at a constant safe chlorine level. I believe all systems for public pools still require chlorine( or bromine). The UV system probably does a lot of the sanitizing work which keeps the chlorine from reacting will all the bacteria and therefore cutting back on the smell. They maybe able to keep the CL at lower levels as well, I am not up on all the latest regulations.

Here is an article on it
http://www.waterandhealth.org/swimming-pools-chemical-free/

Edited by mike761 2015-03-23 12:47 PM

2015-03-23 12:52 PM

User image

I have a similar reaction after my swim laps. I find that if I use a Neti Pot to flush out my sinus as soon as I get home, the problem is prevented. I find that I get congested any time I swim, be it in the poor or in the lake.
2015-03-23 1:46 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by TriMike

UV kills the germs going through the UV light after the filter, it does nothing to kill the germs in the pool. So it depends on circulating the water under the UV system. Chlorine is still required in these pools. The chlorine that you typically smell is the reacted chlorine(unless the pool is way over-chlorinated which is not usually the case), a properly chlorinated pool that has mostly free chlorine and at proper ph levels does not have much or any chlorine smell. This is a mis-conception with salt water pools as well, they use a catalyst system to break salt down into it's elements half of that being chlorine. The chlorine and the sodium then come together again in the pool but it takes time, so the constant breaking of these bonds is enough to keep the entire pool at a constant safe chlorine level. I believe all systems for public pools still require chlorine( or bromine). The UV system probably does a lot of the sanitizing work which keeps the chlorine from reacting will all the bacteria and therefore cutting back on the smell. They maybe able to keep the CL at lower levels as well, I am not up on all the latest regulations. Here is an article on it http://www.waterandhealth.org/swimming-pools-chemical-free/

The article provided an interesting comparison between swimming in an untreated pool and immersing oneself into bathwater shared by the neighbors... 

There was a link within the article to a more detailed report on the fecal matter issue and I found it interesting how many times the article cited people swimming with diarrhea as a leading cause of water borne disease in pools.  The initial article and linked report both said on average a person has .14g of fecal representation in close proximity to the poop chute, (up to 10g in kids!!) however the report also said 18% of respondents in a epidemiological survey said they continued to swim despite being ill with diarrhea.  

I'm interpreting that to mean (hopefully) that the .14g on average goes up significantly because diarrhea will be "present" on the skin even if you think you've cleaned yourself properly.... Vs. someone having active diarrhea and continuing their swimming...

Sorry for the slight hijack and too much information...  

Pass the chlorine please...

2015-03-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Moonrocket Not to get this off track- but do you shower before you swim?

Is this a rhetorical question? Of course everyone showers before using the pool.

2015-03-23 2:44 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Regular
Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by Moonrocket

With a Q-tip if you want to be hygenic. Around the rim of nostril and around walls on inner nostril at least half way in for me. I usually use Boroleum (has some menthol in there for better breathing. A saline nasal flush afterwards can really help flush out lingering chlorine for those hyper sensitive. If the OP has same issues in long open water swims then this presumption it's chlorine related is out the window

Yes, you can use a Q-tip or just smear some on your finger and rub it around, amount is trial and error. Its not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. And lets face it, when talking about peeing in the pool, on your bike, etc., sticking your finger in your nose is probably at the bottom of the unhygenic list.

Good point too on open water swims.....
2015-03-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by Moonrocket Not to get this off track- but do you shower before you swim?

Is this a rhetorical question? Of course everyone showers before using the pool.

I don't see anyone showering before swimming that doesn't already have their suits on... So unless showering helps avoid irritation with chlorine as the Op was wondering about, the fecal problem with pools won't likely be impacted much if at all by the "typical" pre-swim showering....

2015-03-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Hi everyone, thanks for all the helpful info. Today I went swimming again and tried all the suggestions, I'm hoping they'll work. Will know in a few hours!
2015-03-30 10:38 AM

another thing to consider is perhaps you are getting water stuck in your ears? after every swim i usually use a alcohol based solution and put a few drops into my ears to get rid of any residual moisture, this helps reduce the changes of getting ear infections as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling sick after swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sick, missing training, and feeling frustrated....

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1727 Posts: 9

2010-08-07 5:20 PM KeriKadi

feeling sick after swim

Started by lnolte
Views: 3875 Posts: 14

2009-04-19 6:45 PM robertp1024

Feeling kinda sick: what now?

Started by AndrewZ57
Views: 1156 Posts: 14

2009-01-20 6:50 PM AndrewZ57

Feeling sick and only 2 weeks left until my first tri

Started by scottsgrl
Views: 848 Posts: 4

2006-07-31 8:56 AM katiefrog15

Always feel sick during the bike?

Started by MAtriMom
Views: 878 Posts: 3

2005-05-16 9:59 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?

date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
While regular and moderate exercise such as light jogging has been shown to boost immune system function, more vigorous exercise can suppress the immune system.
date : February 13, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!