General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tricep/elbow pain from swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-25 8:49 AM

User image

Harare
Subject: Tricep/elbow pain from swimming
Hi all,

I'm having a rather unique health issue. Not sure if it's connected or not, but I recently started upping my yardage in the pool, going from 1500-2200 meter workouts to ~3000 m once a week. After the second 3k workout my left tricep started to hurt just above the elbow. Not bad, just kind of sore. I stretched it, kept up business as usual, and it went away. The next week I did a similar workout, and the same thing happened. But it hasn't really gotten better, more than a week later. I find it hurts much more on days in the office, which leads me to believe it is at least somewhat (if not entirely) due to poor ergonomics at my desk.

I haven't gone to a doc yet, but I did go on a ride with my GP last weekend (best way to avoid a copay!) and he said don’t worry about it, but have someone look at my stroke. It typically feels fine in the morning and hurts the most at the end of the work day. I haven’t swum at all since last Tuesday, but I have an oly on Saturday that I’m planning on doing unless things get much worse.

Anyone have similar problems? I’ll see a doc soon, but not before this weekend. Thanks for any advice!

2015-03-26 9:20 PM
in reply to: Danielfberlin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Tricep/elbow pain from swimming
I've had stuff like that happen to me on a few soft tissue areas in my arms/shoulders. I just treat it per the usual R.I.C.E protocol and it tends to go away after a day or two. I'd follow your GP advice and not worry about it.
2015-03-27 7:17 AM
in reply to: Danielfberlin

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tricep/elbow pain from swimming
It could very well be something in your stroke that's aggravating an issue that may have started with your activities at work. I think it's pretty common for people to have sore elbows, shoulders, and triceps if they're not sufficiently engaging core and lats on their stroke. If the problem persists, you might want to get a coach, if possible, to take a look at your stroke, or post a video here for the resident swim experts to give you advice. I've rarely gotten sore elbows or triceps from swimming (except when I was recovering from a non-swimming-related elbow injury) but I remember they used to be sore sometimes when I was swimming really high yardage (8 to 10K a day) and sometimes lots of butterfly in high school. I find that in general, I'm less sore from swimming if I mix some other stroke work into the big freestyle sets that tend to characterize tri swim workouts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tricep/elbow pain from swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

elbow pain when swimming

Started by rubhadubh
Views: 1103 Posts: 3

2012-04-28 6:44 AM JoeE

Elbow pain while swimming

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 1159 Posts: 6

2007-01-13 3:19 PM sue7013

ELBOW pain from swimming

Started by sparco
Views: 693 Posts: 1

2006-02-25 1:31 PM sparco

Elbow pain - what to do?

Started by watergirl
Views: 743 Posts: 2

2005-10-18 5:49 PM 2kvetteman

Elbow pain while swimming

Started by dragoman
Views: 3182 Posts: 4

2004-11-20 11:07 AM dragoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
What are the possible treatments for tennis elbow?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : May 30, 2008
author : FitWerx
Discussions on chain cleaning and degreasers, proper crank length, triathlon bike fit, lateral foot pain, foot numbness and tricep and shoulder pain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Focusing on the first part of the pull and avoiding the dreaded “dropped elbow” can help transform your stroke, and allow you to relax and let go of these common challenges.

date : June 25, 2006
Lying Barbbell Tricep Extension strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 25, 2006
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Tricep Pushdown-Cable strength exercise instruction with picture and video.