General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upcoming 5 km Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-25 1:43 PM

User image

Oakville
Subject: Upcoming 5 km Race

I just signed up for a 5 km race next Friday and wanted to get some feedback on getting ready.

Its not an 'A' race by any means, but I entered the raced last year and did well so I've got bragging rights on the line.

My training is about the same as it was this time last year, with maybe a little more hill and speed work (by speed work, I mean 400m and 800m intervals based on the VDOT Calculator).

I have my own pre-race routine but wanted to canvas BT if there is anything that I should consider changing:

1.  I don't plan on doing any kind of formal taper other than taking next Thursday off - I will probably fit in 4 or 5 more runs before race day.  Are there any gains to be had with doing interval work for any of these runs this close to race day, or should I just focus on volume at an easier pace? 

2.  How do you all warm up for a 5K race?  I've got a standard routine that seems to work for me, but have read various views with some coaches recommending a pretty rigorous workout of almost 5 kms, with several kms at race pace.  I've never had the guts to try this as I figured I'd be spent for the race. 

3.  How do you all pace a 5K race?  I've probably done between fifteen and twenty 5 km races, and every time I go out too fast and I've never negative split.  I always try to hold back, but once the horn blows I don't want to let the front pack get away.  I always rationalize it later that 5K is short enough that 'too much, too soon' won't bite you as much as in a longer distance, but am I leaving time on the course?

2015-03-25 1:57 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Upcoming 5 km Race

There is nothing to be gained in terms of additional fitness this close to the race with additional workouts.  In the week before the race you may want to keep doing what you have been doing which sounds like to includes some easy stuff and some interval stuff but at reduced volume not necessarily intensity.

My warmup involves a mile or two of easy jogging and then 3 or 4 strides.

For a 5k, I break it into thirds where I run the first with my head (stick to a reasonable pace), the second with my legs (rely and trust on the strength and fitness of my training), and the last with my heart (gut it out).

Good luck.

2015-03-25 9:58 PM

I wouldn't do any intervals leading up to it for fear of having heavy legs. No gains for the race, just a chance of bad legs. Sounds like you've got the right idea.

I do a 20 minute warm-up so that I'm walking up to the line only two or three minutes before the start. The colder it is, the closer I try to time it. The first ten minutes is easy then I'll do a few hard short efforts over the last ten. For me, it's all about getting my heart pumping hard so I'm ready for the effort right out of the gate.

Pacing a 5k . . . I just learned through racing what I was capable of. When I toe the line, I pretty much know what pace I can maintain and hope that it's good enough to be in the front pack. If it's not, I either try to keep up and often blow myself up or I pull back and run my own race. Sadly, I seem to choose the blowing up option more than I do the pacing option. As if I'm all the sudden going to be able to run 20 sec per mile faster that given day than I'm actually capable of. Maybe one day I'll learn.
2015-03-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
This (slightly aging) article suggest a good reason to go out at a blistering pace in a 5k:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/go-out-fast-your-next-5k

"So how is it that these runners achieved their best times by logging their first mile a seemingly suicidal 26 seconds faster than their predicted 5-K pace? According to the study, at the end of the first mile, the even-paced runners were at only 78 percent of their VO2 max, an effort level more akin to a tempo run than a 5-K race–below their potential. The three-percent and six-percent faster starts put the subjects at 82 and 83 percent of VO2 max after the first mile, which is closer to the intensity you'd expect from an experienced runner racing the first mile of a 5-K."

I have a 5k race in 9 days as an early season measure of how my running is doing and I plan to nuke it from the line to see what happens.
2015-03-26 9:16 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

1.  There are no fitness gains to be made in the final week.  Whatever training you do (whether a taper or not) at best would be geared to keeping you sharp for your race.  In a typical taper, you would probably be doing a lot of short workouts with short bouts at/above race intensity.  No session should feel very taxing in the whole even if it includes short bursts where you are pushing yourself.

2.  I run 10-20min very easy (so call it ~2mi) and then do some strides at/above 5k pace (~4-6x 30sec).

3.  You should not try to negative split a 5k.  Even or (very) slightly positive split is the goal. A good warm-up is critical to being able to start at a pace that is 'hard' but not 'too hard'.  It's much easier to set your pacing when you are already well warmed up.

2015-03-26 11:55 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Oakville

Thanks for the input everyone.

I start every 5K with the intention of holding back for the first km or so, but with the adrenalin rush I never seem to be able to do it. 

The Runners World article is interesting. A 6% increased pace for me works out to about 13 sec/km faster, which is roughly the pace that I typically will start a 5K.

So who knows, maybe my unintended strategy works?

2015-03-26 5:26 PM

User image

Seattle

I think there are some great answers in here.

One thing I am curious about, and sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread, but I believe this was at least a small part of your question:

This is not an 'A" race.

While I think we all agree, the hay is in the barn. How about the bigger picture? How do you suppose the benefits weigh out in the long run of tapering for the 5K, racing all out (and getting some adaptation), recovering and then getting back to it vs no real taper, maybe a less quality race and minimal recovery. Essentially training right through? 

2015-03-27 12:20 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Scott71

Thanks for the input everyone.

I start every 5K with the intention of holding back for the first km or so, but with the adrenalin rush I never seem to be able to do it. 

The Runners World article is interesting. A 6% increased pace for me works out to about 13 sec/km faster, which is roughly the pace that I typically will start a 5K.

So who knows, maybe my unintended strategy works?

Much to be said for the in the moment energy and adrenaline. I am always faster in a race, that's def part of it. Use it to your advantage and know your pace so you just don't blow that load and end up dumping. You should see some of my older boxing matches to witness "adrenaline dump"
Good luck
2015-03-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I think there are some great answers in here.

One thing I am curious about, and sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread, but I believe this was at least a small part of your question:

This is not an 'A" race.

While I think we all agree, the hay is in the barn. How about the bigger picture? How do you suppose the benefits weigh out in the long run of tapering for the 5K, racing all out (and getting some adaptation), recovering and then getting back to it vs no real taper, maybe a less quality race and minimal recovery. Essentially training right through? 

Good point, and I try to schedule early season run races at the end of a recovery week if possible otherwise I train through them and treat the race as my one interval run session for that week. I'm a huge fan of racing often early in the season to help build fitness and speed leading into the more important races later in the spring and into the summer.
2015-03-29 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
My warm up goes something like this:

2mi starting easy and building so that the last 1/2mi is at a pace just a bit slower than half marathon pace.

I then change into my racing flats

do another 3 min of running at threshold pace. I try to end this about 5 min before the gun. In the last 5 min I will do 2 or 3 x 100 yd strides.

Then race.
2015-03-31 2:13 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
The only thing I'll add (not mentioned yet, I think) is to consider some race pace short intervals to dial in your pace. The week before a 5k or 10k, I always do something like 6x200m and try to nail them right at race pace. I'll do that maybe on Thursday before a Sunday race (tomorrow for your Friday race).
In a 5k, the best way to sabotage your race is to go out too hard and suffer out the last mile.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upcoming 5 km Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Has anyone negative split a 5 KM race?

Started by Scott71
Views: 2019 Posts: 24

2013-03-26 10:00 AM RRH_88

A couple questions about an upcoming race...

Started by jsnowash
Views: 527 Posts: 3

2007-06-18 12:48 PM McFuzz

Needd alittel help on upcoming racing

Started by pborough
Views: 549 Posts: 2

2007-04-19 11:31 AM madkat

Nervous about upcoming race season?

Started by BamaTriGal
Views: 1458 Posts: 23

2007-02-17 4:14 PM TriForrestTri

100 KM Pharonic Race

Started by gus
Views: 766 Posts: 3

2004-11-27 8:41 AM Wookiee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.