General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Borrowed Tri bike for IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-28 9:18 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Borrowed Tri bike for IM?
inhave a guy in my Tri club that has offered to let me borrow his Trek Speed concept and race wheels for IMTX. Sweet bike. Mine is an aluminum road bike (Trek Lexa) with aero bars. I have a good bike fit on mine. His is a size bigger as well. Is it worth it? I could train on it between now and then if I want, he's offered it as he doesn't use it as much lately. It is so tempting!

2015-03-29 12:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Borrowed Tri bike for IM?
I'd take a properly fitting aluminum frame road bike over a poorly fit, and too big superbike anyday for a race.

If the other bike can be fit to you and you can get in the hours on it, great.

Otherwise I'd pass.

Edited by dfquigley 2015-03-29 12:27 AM
2015-03-29 4:24 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

If you can train on it and it fits then I would use it.  But it has to fit properly and comfortably over long distances otherwise you could jeopardise your race day experience.

2015-03-29 8:02 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You're faster on a well fitting aluminum comfort bike than an ill-fitting super bike. Definitely not worth it!
2015-03-29 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by KatieLimb

inhave a guy in my Tri club that has offered to let me borrow his Trek Speed concept and race wheels for IMTX. Sweet bike. Mine is an aluminum road bike (Trek Lexa) with aero bars. I have a good bike fit on mine. His is a size bigger as well. Is it worth it? I could train on it between now and then if I want, he's offered it as he doesn't use it as much lately. It is so tempting!

Worst case, borrow his race wheels
2015-03-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I agree with others that it's probably a bad idea.  Borrowing a bike that's too big for a sprint or something like that isn't as big a deal because you're not spending much time riding it.  112 miles is another story.  I'm just making some assumptions here but first time IM, AG female... that you're going to be riding somewhere in the neighborhood of 6:30-7:00.  That's a long time riding a bike that doesn't fit.  The second half of the bike ride could be torturous, which is  going to manifest itself into issues on the run.

All that stated...

Is his Trek SC a 9-Series or 7.5?  The integrated stem and bar combinations of the 9-series or 7.5 make it so fitting between sizes is possible if you have some "tweener" attributes.  For example, you ride a S but have some fit parameters that fall into the M on the fit guide.  You could find the right bar/stem combo to make a M work.  So you might be able to make his bike that's a size bigger fit you okay.  That stated v.2... that would undoubtedly necessitate a different stem config which would require a cost of at least $200 for the part, and some mechanic work from the LBS to install said item (more $$$), and a basic fitting at the very least (more $$$).  That's assuming your friend would allow his bike to be messed with like that.  I wouldn't allow that.  I wouldn't allow anyone to even ride my bike but that's another story. 

My $.02 is to just ride your road bike... or buy a new tri bike that is right for you.  You'd have plenty of time to get used to it.  I bought a new tri bike three weeks before IMTX in 2011 and had my best and most comfy ride up to that point.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2015-03-29 9:13 AM

2015-03-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by marcag

Worst case, borrow his race wheels

Agree
2015-03-29 11:10 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
It personally takes me months just to get used to a new saddle, so I'd say no way on a new bike, especially with such a short time before IMTX. If you're comfortable on your bike, that's not worth giving up in my opinion.
2015-03-29 7:23 PM
in reply to: #5104360

User image

, North Carolina
Borrow the wheel set :-)
2015-03-29 8:35 PM

User image

It's one thing to borrow a bike where you know you can translate your exact fit coordinates over, and you have any (if necessary) parts on hand to make that happen.  As already mentioned, some bikes can be made to fit, but it's usually not as simple as using a hex wrench to move the seat around or slide the arm pads forward or backward.

Also keep in mind that tri bikes are not that much faster than road bikes if you're just talking about frames.  Athletes can ride faster on tri bikes because it allows them to be in a faster position.  If you choose to use a bike that doesn't fit well, the chances are that you won't be able to hold the aero position for a good portion of the ride.  Not only will this be less comfortable than your road bike (and possibly compromise your run), it will also likely be slower than your road bike (during the times you cannot stay on the bars) assuming you otherwise could have held position on your road bike in the drops or on your clip ons.

IMTX is not that far away.  There is no reason to make drastic changes to your race plan unless you feel that your current plan has absolutely zero chance of success (whatever you define that is) and this is a risk you are willing to take to give yourself a chance.

Borrow just the race wheels.  Keep training hard and enjoy race day.  From my personal experience with one IM...20-30 minutes is not a big deal so long as you're under the cutoff.  I went in thinking that it would be...and that I could judge my success or failure by 20-30 minutes but it was anything but that.  I went through so much that day (as I would think all athletes do during IM) that the experience to me was far more than just finishing time.  But that's just me.

2015-03-30 8:16 AM

User image

I agree with everyone else when saying its a bad idea. Ride what you trained on the whole time. Shaving a couple minutes off is great but not when you are hurting all over.

2015-03-30 8:31 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Jason N

It's one thing to borrow a bike where you know you can translate your exact fit coordinates over, and you have any (if necessary) parts on hand to make that happen.  As already mentioned, some bikes can be made to fit, but it's usually not as simple as using a hex wrench to move the seat around or slide the arm pads forward or backward.

Also keep in mind that tri bikes are not that much faster than road bikes if you're just talking about frames.  Athletes can ride faster on tri bikes because it allows them to be in a faster position.  If you choose to use a bike that doesn't fit well, the chances are that you won't be able to hold the aero position for a good portion of the ride.  Not only will this be less comfortable than your road bike (and possibly compromise your run), it will also likely be slower than your road bike (during the times you cannot stay on the bars) assuming you otherwise could have held position on your road bike in the drops or on your clip ons.

IMTX is not that far away.  There is no reason to make drastic changes to your race plan unless you feel that your current plan has absolutely zero chance of success (whatever you define that is) and this is a risk you are willing to take to give yourself a chance.

Borrow just the race wheels.  Keep training hard and enjoy race day.  From my personal experience with one IM...20-30 minutes is not a big deal so long as you're under the cutoff.  I went in thinking that it would be...and that I could judge my success or failure by 20-30 minutes but it was anything but that.  I went through so much that day (as I would think all athletes do during IM) that the experience to me was far more than just finishing time.  But that's just me.

this x10000

This would be the ultimate nothing new on race day.  The worst thing that could happen for your race is to get to mile 50 of the bike and say, oh darn, my back is in knots and my hips are tight.  Borrow the wheels, race on what you've been training on, and go crush it!

2015-03-30 12:42 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Jason N

agree !
you could even crash on trying to ride such a different kind of bike in a race without any training experience on it.

as for the race wheels, hopefully you can get to IMTX well ahead and get some miles on them to "feel" the twitchyness of the front. If it's windy, and you aren't used to that feeling it can be dangerous.
2015-03-30 5:00 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

There would be some that say all these new fangled bike fits and obsession with various measurements are very modern innovations that were dreamt up to extract money from triathletes.  They would also criticise the average bike fit on the grounds that as you train, become fitter, perhaps lose weight, improve flexibility and fitness that your year old (six months) bike fit becomes out of date and sub-optimal. 

But that's just a contrary opinion and not mine.

I wouldn't do it - I like my bike and it's comfortable. 

But in your case I would take it out for a couple of long training rides, perhaps up to 80 miles.  If it gives you confidence, you feel comfortable, you go faster for less effort and you can run equally or more effectively off it - then why not.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Borrowed Tri bike for IM? Rss Feed