General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-29 2:06 PM

User image

Subject: Tri Shorts
Can someone please help me before I buy.

I have only done indoor pool sprint triathlons. I only own bike shorts. I am finding that the bike shorts start to pull down quite significantly in the back especially when pushing off the walls. On the last race last year, I taped them up with electrical tape. It seemed to keep them up so I didn't waste efforts pulling them back on.

Do tri shorts have this same problem? I don't want to buy a pair of tri shorts if they pull down in the water.

Thank you.

2015-03-30 6:34 AM
in reply to: cdiemert

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Tri Shorts
Dear Seymor Bunz,

I've had better results wearing lycra running shorts instead of padded bike shorts when I swim. I find lycra running shorts feel better on the bike than padded bike shorts.
2015-03-30 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5104466

User image

I own a pair of tri shorts that I used for an indoor tri. They did not fall down on me the way you are describing. The pair I own have a drawstring, and I made sure it was tied tightly before beginning. As to if that actually made any difference or not, I'm not sure, it just made sense to me to make sure they were tied up.

I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the main difference between biking shorts and tri shorts is the padding. Tri shorts have a smaller pad, so they retain less water. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess that the pad in your bike shorts is what was causing them to fall down. Keep in mind, however, that that is just a guess, so take it with a grain of salt.
2015-03-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Originally posted by Toffels II believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the main difference between biking shorts and tri shorts is the padding. Tri shorts have a smaller pad, so they retain less water. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess that the pad in your bike shorts is what was causing them to fall down. Keep in mind, however, that that is just a guess, so take it with a grain of salt.

The lesser padding in tri shorts also make them more comfortable to run in.

My tri shorts also have a drawstring which I make sure is done up tightly.

2015-05-15 3:44 PM
in reply to: cdiemert

User image

I've worn my tri shorts for pool swim tris with no issues. They have less padding than regular bike shorts, lace up well, and since they're "compression" in a sense, they stay put when pushing off the wall. Others have worn their swim jammers during the swim and then put on bike shorts on top of those...that's an option. I've seen that done at a couple tris.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Shorts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

cycle shorts vs tri shorts

Started by JC_Mom_of_3
Views: 1275 Posts: 7

2012-03-29 9:55 AM japarker24

Bike Shorts vs. Tri Shorts

Started by weedenft
Views: 803 Posts: 3

2006-06-13 9:35 PM StarGazer

Tri shorts vs Cycling shorts

Started by cobi
Views: 1591 Posts: 6

2005-02-28 12:16 PM Machiavelo

Tri shorts only vs. tri suit

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 2025 Posts: 12

2005-01-30 10:02 AM tnt2tri

T1: Tri shorts/Tri Jersey question

Started by derekh25
Views: 1982 Posts: 19

2005-01-25 9:26 PM NYtrigal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle