General Discussion Race Reports! » Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
CGI Racing
28F / -2C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 24s
Overall Rank = 3164/6300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 276/686
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a hotel about a mile away from the start. I was surprised to see that it was only 26 degrees outside. I went to the lobby to get a starbucks for a prp and also got a croissant. Got ready back in my room and layered up for the walk over to the start. Once there I waited as late as I could to give my extra clothing to gear check. Also ate a small larabar. I was waiting at the start 5 minutes before the gun.
Event warmup:

The walk over to the venue.
Run
  • 2h 09m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I only took water (actually gatorade) once. I easily run ten miles with no water and just chews so I didnt think I needed to flood myself at every aid station and I was right. It was also still cool out the entire race so that helped me to not need much water.
What would you do differently?:

Choose different chews. I had little choice but had to use ones I dont like. They ended up making my stomach pretty upset but luckily not until after the race was over. I also should of checked the race course to see if there were any changes so I would have been more mentally prepared for the 2nd hill.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish, grabbed my gear and snacks and kept walking straight back to my hotel. Hips were hurting a bit. It was a pretty slow walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was worried I wouldnt be able to complete this race at all due to a calf muscle pull I had the week before so I started out pretty cautious. I think subconsciously going easy on my right calf eventually made my left thigh strain. I had a few pains but I pushed through. Training for a half ironman tri so I kept telling myself, "you think this hurts? you didnt even swim or bike first!":

This was a 1/2 mar PR for me by 12 mins!

Event comments:

Tons of volunteers! They were great! This was the first 1/2 Mar I ran without music too so it was nice to hear all their cheers!! Loved the run without music!

Last updated: 2015-03-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:24 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 276/686
Overall: 3164/6300
Performance: Good
Course: I did the race last year so I knew there was a killer hill around mile 6. I convinced myself I wanted this hill, I was ready for it and I would conquer it. I did! But what I was not prepared for was the new addition to the race which was another killer hill around mile 9. I don't like surprises:) That was my slowest mile at 10:17.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-03-30 10:52 AM

User image

Subject: Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Love Run Philadelphia Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3057 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2205 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1

Coeur d'Alene Marathon/1/2 Marathon (Run - Half Marathon) 5 k

Started by dbdutro
Views: 1467 Posts: 1

2009-05-25 11:32 PM dbdutro

Philadelphia Half Marathon

Started by jeepgil97
Views: 1229 Posts: 4

2006-11-21 2:17 PM shawn barr

Philadelphia Distance Run (Half-Marathon)

Started by debs
Views: 1073 Posts: 6

2004-09-21 1:20 PM tri_again
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.