General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-30 10:58 AM

, Texas
Subject: Swim Training
Hi everyone!
I just joined and just have a couple of questions for everybody! Also before I get started I want to say that I think its awesome that everyone helps every body else here because in other forums I looked at before joining this one, I found people to be rude and just d**** haha. Growing up running and biking were always a strong suit of mine. I've loved to run ever since I was little, and biking I find to be exhilarating and a great way to get a good workout in while also improving cardiovascular fitness. Swimming however......it is hard as hell haha. I don't get it. I am ok I feel like but my goal is to become comfortable in the water. I know it is going to take a lot of dedication and practice but I am up to it! Just need some help getting pointed in the right direction as I know very little about it.
Right now I might be able to complete a sprint triathlon swimming section, but not an Olympic one or and Ironman. Also, a specific goal of mine is to improve my 500m and just swim 1000m, which I feel will also get me in better shape for a triathlon. Right now for the 500 I sit at 8:27, but would like to get down to about a 7 in the next 3 months if that's possible? I would also like to swim a mile in the next 3 months as well (just goals of mine) before I compete in a triathlon. Want to be confident for the swim portion of the race.
Do you all have any recommendations on how to train to drop times while also attempting to swim longer? Should I got for more endurance workouts or interval training, or both? I've been swimming for three and half months now so I am still very much a novice haha. I've also heard technique is more important than anything else? Thank you guys so much for the help!

J

2015-03-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: WorkingHard1990

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Training

Don't just go swim a straight 1000 m.  If you need to do a continuous swim from time to time for confidence then do it.  If you want to get faster swim shorter sets at a harder interval.  So do sets of 50's, 100's and 200's.  For example 5 x 100's @ whatever interval you can hold with a short break of 10 - 15 secs max. 

Yes, having someone evaluate your swim would be a big bonus to start.  A coach or even if you have any friends that were swimmers.

2015-03-30 1:19 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

, Texas
Ok awesome thank you!

So really I should only be swimming a straight long distance set (for example the 1000 or mile) when I am trying to see if my time has improved, and keep my practices composed of shorter, harder swims around a certain interval?
2015-03-30 1:24 PM

, Texas
Also my other question is I can't float for the life of me. I don't have much body fat so I don't know if that is it or what. I've tried on my back, front, arching my back, everything. I feel like being able to float makes it easier to swim longer distances. I can feel my legs beginning to sink when I do longer sets and get fatigued.

I'm not really sure how to fix this either because I've tried all the drills but literally none of them work. Can everyone here float? Just wondering because if that is an essential part of swimming I am really going to need to work on that as well! Thanks!
2015-03-30 2:13 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by WorkingHard1990 Also my other question is I can't float for the life of me. I don't have much body fat so I don't know if that is it or what. I've tried on my back, front, arching my back, everything. I feel like being able to float makes it easier to swim longer distances. I can feel my legs beginning to sink when I do longer sets and get fatigued. I'm not really sure how to fix this either because I've tried all the drills but literally none of them work. Can everyone here float? Just wondering because if that is an essential part of swimming I am really going to need to work on that as well! Thanks!

Don't worry about floating - it's about has helpful as worrying that you can't keep your bike from falling over without moving.  Focus on balance and body position when swimming.

2015-03-30 2:29 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Don't just go swim a straight 1000 m.  If you need to do a continuous swim from time to time for confidence then do it.  If you want to get faster swim shorter sets at a harder interval.  So do sets of 50's, 100's and 200's.  For example 5 x 100's @ whatever interval you can hold with a short break of 10 - 15 secs max. 

Yes, having someone evaluate your swim would be a big bonus to start.  A coach or even if you have any friends that were swimmers.

I wish I read this a long time ago lol... Been doing this the last 3 weeks and its making a huge difference.

2015-03-30 2:52 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by WorkingHard1990

Also my other question is I can't float for the life of me. I don't have much body fat so I don't know if that is it or what. I've tried on my back, front, arching my back, everything. I feel like being able to float makes it easier to swim longer distances. I can feel my legs beginning to sink when I do longer sets and get fatigued.

I'm not really sure how to fix this either because I've tried all the drills but literally none of them work. Can everyone here float? Just wondering because if that is an essential part of swimming I am really going to need to work on that as well! Thanks!

Floating isn't an issue, but I have the exact same problem with my legs and butt sinking. We were just talking about that on another thread today where I posted a swim video and that was some of the feedback. There were some recommendations on drills so check it out, I will be trying them myself.
2015-03-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by WorkingHard1990 Also my other question is I can't float for the life of me. I don't have much body fat so I don't know if that is it or what. I've tried on my back, front, arching my back, everything. I feel like being able to float makes it easier to swim longer distances. I can feel my legs beginning to sink when I do longer sets and get fatigued. I'm not really sure how to fix this either because I've tried all the drills but literally none of them work. Can everyone here float? Just wondering because if that is an essential part of swimming I am really going to need to work on that as well! Thanks!
Floating isn't an issue, but I have the exact same problem with my legs and butt sinking. We were just talking about that on another thread today where I posted a swim video and that was some of the feedback. There were some recommendations on drills so check it out, I will be trying them myself.

Here's the thread and posts he was talking about:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=530537&posts=24&page=1

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim training/ideas with no place to swim?

Started by Mr Cup
Views: 879 Posts: 1

2013-10-09 10:02 PM Mr Cup

Swim training for continuous mile swim (no luck) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by icemachineman
Views: 8738 Posts: 57

2013-02-02 7:15 AM Dorm57

swim training without a place to swim

Started by jlangene
Views: 2357 Posts: 17

2012-11-14 3:21 PM Baowolf

Swim Training w/o Swimming

Started by bodore16
Views: 1358 Posts: 8

2012-06-18 10:11 AM Moonrocket

Swim Training, vs Run training

Started by verga
Views: 1023 Posts: 4

2010-12-24 12:47 PM Aholloway
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2013
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
Much has changed in swimming over the past 30 years. I will summarize the most important changes in two categories; swim training and swimming technique. Both are critical to fast swimming.

date : December 1, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Olympic swimmer advises not spending too much time on swim training in the winter, depending on your ability
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : August 8, 2008
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.
date : February 13, 2007
comments : 2
Some anaerobic training is essential. You will need to have some speed to break out of the pack, turn a buoy at a proper angle, or to lose the annoying swimmer behind you that's grabbing your ankles.

date : November 6, 2006
Interval training is essential to improving your swim time. Here are a few examples of setting up your swim interval training.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
comments : 3
Triathlon Swim Training for Beginners

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Swimming for the triathlete.