Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA Death Spiral? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-30 6:18 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: ACA Death Spiral?

Thought you guys would find this article interesting.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/26/susan-parnell-the-obamacare-death-spiral-may-have-/

Here's the part I found most interesting:

According to the Manhattan Institute, premiums climbed by 41 percent on average from 2013 to 2014, and premiums are likely to rise sharply again after two insurance company bailout programs included in Obamacare expire in 2017.

The other sign health insurance markets are in the early stages of a death spiral is the age mix of those buying policies through Obamacare. Originally it was estimated that around 40 percent of enrollees had to be in the relatively healthy 18 to 34-year-old age segment, so their premiums could be used to pay for the health expenses of older, less-healthy enrollees. So far it appears only some 28 percent of enrollees are in that coveted age group, which also comprises around half of the uninsured.

All of this means insurers are getting a risk pool that is less healthy than expected, and more premium hikes are around the corner. While subsidies hide some from the full impact, others in the middle class will not be shielded.

2015-03-30 6:21 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: ACA Death Spiral?

Wait for it, wait for it....

2015-03-31 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Clearly we must raise the penalty for not participating and give those tax revenues to the health insurance companies. 

What's the healthcare landscape going to look like after the ACA implodes?

2015-04-02 1:49 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Oh boy!
An article written by a republican ex-politician, citing a conservative "think-tank", is taking issue with ACA?

SHOCKING!!!

I'm sure Parnell has penned other fact-based, bipartisan articles -
"Praying the gay away"
"2nd amendment cures cancer"
"Aborted fetuses responsible for ISIS"

2015-04-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2015-04-02 8:10 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Oh boy!
An article written by a republican ex-politician, citing a conservative "think-tank", is taking issue with ACA?

SHOCKING!!!

I'm sure Parnell has penned other fact-based, bipartisan articles -
"Praying the gay away"
"2nd amendment cures cancer"
"Aborted fetuses responsible for ISIS"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_for_Radicals

5. “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.

12. “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

/Golf Clap

So, now that we get that silliness out of the way... What part of the article do you refute as untrue and what source do you site?

2015-04-02 10:23 PM

User image

Pro

well, so far, 14 million people have coverage that never had it before.

Price increases are lower than ever, and the load on businesses for health insurance costs are also not only much lower than expected, but have experienced the lowest cost growth in decades.

the cost to the government is billions lower than expected.

It has solved so much of the slime that went on in the health insurance industry, which kicked people off their policies and had an army of staff that would look for reasons not to pay, and send sick people into bankruptcy.  Or, just deny coverage.  

the fear of having a need for more doctors, and that people would overuse the medical system hasn't happened at all (it didn't in Massachusetts, or when medicare went into effect either)

This article is a poorly supported prediction of a dire future, which so far, isn't happening.  It's red meat to its audience.  Right wingers that are hoping for the ACA to fail.  

keep praying for failure, but the ACA is helping millions right now.  Obama quoted that it has already saved 50,000 lives, and when the right wing reporters went off to challenge that number... they found out he was right.  

The GOP is running out of arguments against the ACA, and they have no alternative solution.

2015-04-06 4:17 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

You're right. My "silliness" was thinly veiled (aka transparent) ridicule.

The notion of posting an article, written by someone as bias as a politician, which cites likeminded Conservatives, under the guise of trustworthy, reputable journalism, with the likely intent of influencing the uneducated opinion of those who might click the link, seems worthy of such.

Refuting the article, and citing sources, seems as fruitless as posting this article in the first place.
The fact is that the article is loaded with misrepresentation, and conjecture, but it is stated as quantifiable, cited, fact. I take issue with that practice.

2015-04-14 7:31 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by morey000

the fear of having a need for more doctors, and that people would overuse the medical system hasn't happened at all (it didn't in Massachusetts, or when medicare went into effect either)

In my personal experience, I am finding that providers which I visit are getting heavily overbooked in my area.  Appointment availability has gone from 1-3 weeks  before ACA to 1-2 months now.  I realize this account is anecdotal, but to claim that it isn't happening at all seems like a pretty broad generalization.  I think there's a shortage of providers.  I think there was one before, and it's become more heightened since.  Of course there will be substantial variability in that by specialty and location.

2015-04-17 12:20 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by morey000

In my personal experience, I am finding that providers which I visit are getting heavily overbooked in my area.  Appointment availability has gone from 1-3 weeks  before ACA to 1-2 months now.  I realize this account is anecdotal, but to claim that it isn't happening at all seems like a pretty broad generalization.  I think there's a shortage of providers.  I think there was one before, and it's become more heightened since.  Of course there will be substantial variability in that by specialty and location.

Even taking the anecdotes out of the equation it's simple economics at play.  There's no question that the demand of people seeking healthcare has increased, so unless the supply (more doctors/hospitals) has increased at the same pace, then there will be increased delays.

2015-04-17 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Don't republicans like job creation?

2015-04-17 4:14 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

Don't republicans like job creation?

I think everybody does.  The question is, can medical facilities afford to hire new people with the pricing structures and are there enough qualified people to fill those positions.

Even if everything is built perfectly with the ACA, the simple fact of how fast it came on there's likely to be a noticeable gap of doctors/clinics while they try and catch up to the demand.
I know there's a weird situation here in Omaha, NE where I live.  One of the mega Hospital/Doctor chains got into it with Blue Cross/Blue Shield (BCBS) because they came at them with mandatory reductions in all their rates they'd pay.  The Hospital refused to cave and for the last year have refused to take BCBS insurance which is the largest insurer in Nebraska.  So, the "supply side" shrunk significantly for all the BCBS plan members because almost half of the doctors are now no longer covered.  The Hospital chain has had thousands of layoffs over the last year (one of them is my neighbor).  The other clinics are hiring some, but they're way behind and the wait lists are growing substantially.

There's a lot of stuff going on that none of us are privi to, it will shake out because we know for certain the insurance companies are not going to lose money and we know for certain the hospitals are not going to lose money.  That leaves two possible groups to either reap the rewards or pay the price; us paying more/less through government taxes or us paying more/less through insurance premiums.  no matter what I doubt any of our insurance or taxes are going down any time soon.  lol

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA Death Spiral? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ACA Calculator Pages: 1 2

Started by dmiller5
Views: 3133 Posts: 27

2013-12-05 5:28 PM Stuartap

The ACA has revealed ignorance about...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2380 Posts: 23

2013-10-09 9:17 AM Jackemy1

The ACA started with "Conservatives"?

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1742 Posts: 11

2013-10-04 1:26 PM kevin_trapp

ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tuwood
Views: 9310 Posts: 90

2013-11-10 7:50 AM NXS

ACA Employer Mandate Pushed to 2015

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1308 Posts: 4

2013-07-08 9:20 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2009
author : runrgrl2007
comments : 7
One slight problem. I don't know how to swim at all. When I say 'at all', I don't even dog paddle because I am scared to death of water. But I am going to do this.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
There is a definite strength difference between the two legs. Is there anything I can do to balance the strength in both legs? Anything I should be concerned about?