User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: 3 disciplines but not equal

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by simpsonbo
Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Left Brain Cycling isn't even a benchmark that is used by USAT to mark triathlon talent potential.
So what sort of attributes are they looking for? I assume speed in 400m+ in swim and/or 5k+ run (or even down to 800m). Or something else?
Ditto for Triathlon Canada. Time standards for Talent ID, Training Centres, Elite cards are all a swim/run formula.

Bo and LB, am I mis-remembering that until somewhat recently cycling actually did used to be one of the benchmarks (at least for USAT) in youth and junior talent, but was  dropped because of lack of equipment accessibly (primarily power meters) and not simply because it was not a good measure of future potential? FWIW that in no way changes my own experience that the swim matters significantly in a direct way at the sprint and Olympic distance, as well as significantly (albeit collaterally) in long-course racing. I do prefer to race against others that continue to believe differently.

I think a perfect example was 2011 70.3 World champs. Laurent Jalabert, TDF stage winner, came out of the water about 8min down and of course killed everyone on the bike and ended up 3rd. He beat Bryan Dunn by 1 spot. As a HIM he came 3rd. As an Oly, he would have come probably 4th of 5th. Yes, you can have a weaker swim IF you can ride like Jalabert and the longer the course. Not many can ride like him. He swam a 38min HIM. Pretty bad The guy that came 5th behind Bryan would have been 3rd in an Oly.

So really what you are saying Marc is that there is actually something to be said about Cross Fit, at least for long course racing?

2015-04-03 8:21 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain Cycling isn't even a benchmark that is used by USAT to mark triathlon talent potential.
So what sort of attributes are they looking for? I assume speed in 400m+ in swim and/or 5k+ run (or even down to 800m). Or something else?
Ditto for Triathlon Canada. Time standards for Talent ID, Training Centres, Elite cards are all a swim/run formula.

Bo and LB, am I mis-remembering that until somewhat recently cycling actually did used to be one of the benchmarks (at least for USAT) in youth and junior talent, but was  dropped because of lack of equipment accessibly (primarily power meters) and not simply because it was not a good measure of future potential? FWIW that in no way changes my own experience that the swim matters significantly in a direct way at the sprint and Olympic distance, as well as significantly (albeit collaterally) in long-course racing. I do prefer to race against others that continue to believe differently.

I think a perfect example was 2011 70.3 World champs. Laurent Jalabert, TDF stage winner, came out of the water about 8min down and of course killed everyone on the bike and ended up 3rd. He beat Bryan Dunn by 1 spot. As a HIM he came 3rd. As an Oly, he would have come probably 4th of 5th. Yes, you can have a weaker swim IF you can ride like Jalabert and the longer the course. Not many can ride like him. He swam a 38min HIM. Pretty bad The guy that came 5th behind Bryan would have been 3rd in an Oly.

in an olympic he would not have been 4th or 5th if he lost 6 minutes in the swim.

you also fail to mention his run.

lets also reflect that his PROFESSIONAL CYCLING CAREER IN WHICH HE WON A TOUR STAGE. Places him at the very very very very pointy end, unlike us mere mortals.  I'll not go into the long term effects of a career using PED's to train either.....but knowing the era I think it would be a valid point.

2015-04-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dmiller5

in an olympic he would not have been 4th or 5th if he lost 6 minutes in the swim.

lets also reflect that his PROFESSIONAL CYCLING CAREER IN WHICH HE WON A TOUR STAGE. Places him at the very very very very pointy end, unlike us mere mortals.  I'll not go into the long term effects of a career using PED's to train either.....but knowing the era I think it would be a valid point.

Think the point of using Jalabert is to show how exceptionally good one has to be elsewhere to make up for such a deficiency.

ETA: his run was in the area of the other contestants of similar placing.

Edited by brigby1 2015-04-03 8:37 AM
2015-04-03 8:39 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dmiller5

I meant he would have been 5th against those guys.

My point, which I believe was the same as you is that at Oly distance, you can't make up a really bad swim no matter how good a cyclist you are. You can't get much better cyclist than him and you can't be much worst of a swimmer at that end of the field.

His run was actually pretty good. The winners of course were the well balanced guys with a run edge.

(Screenshot 2015-04-03 06.39.54.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2015-04-03 06.39.54.png (59KB - 1 downloads)
2015-04-03 8:43 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Pro

In the 4 years we have been involved in the youth/jr elite circuit I have never seen cycling benchmarks.  The kids get tested a couple of times per year for FTP but the emphasis is on bike handling skills and learning to race "crit style".  There is marked differences in kids who can put down the same amount of power but have differing cycling skill sets.  My son is a prime example.  He typically beats most kids in TT's and AG triathlon cycling splits....but he can get his arse handed to him in DL racing depending on the course.  It's the same for many aspiring elite racers.  So maybe the benchmarks are not that important in cycling since skill is a MAJOR component.

That being said, equipment is probably not an issue at this point.....almost all of the kids at least have a PT wheel and many have vector pedals and other PM's.

2015-04-03 8:43 AM
in reply to: sactowntriathlete

User image

I did a short race last year that was more balanced. 1/2 mile swim 5.5 mile bike, and 2.2 mile run. It was suited to my strengths, and I'd love to do a longer version, but I suspect that it wouldn't appeal to very many.

2015-04-03 8:46 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by bigevilgrape I did a short race last year that was more balanced. 1/2 mile swim 5.5 mile bike, and 2.2 mile run. It was suited to my strengths, and I'd love to do a longer version, but I suspect that it wouldn't appeal to very many.

There's a local Olympic here that's offering a "sprint distance" with a 1/2 mile swim, 40k bike, 5k run.  That would be a race that truly favors the cyclist.

2015-04-03 8:51 AM

User image

NC

wait, THAT is thing you find funny about Canadian athletics?

Ever better, the announcer is pronouncing the University of Missouri as the University of Misery.

Edited by Goosedog 2015-04-03 8:51 AM
2015-04-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm live-streaming the Team Canada Trials today. Important question, what's up with Lane 0 being a thing?

My niece is doing 2 events. She just turned 15.
2015-04-03 9:13 AM

User image

NC

I'm live-streaming the Team Canada Trials today. Important question, what's up with Lane 0 being a thing?

Awesome! Is she swimming today?
2015-04-03 9:26 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by simpsonbo Ditto for Triathlon Canada. Time standards for Talent ID, Training Centres, Elite cards are all a swim/run formula.

Is she still running at all? 

2015-04-03 10:08 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Man this thread has taken a life of its own. Between work and training, I can barely keep up!

Regardless, it has totally shifted my thinking in a good way.

Here are my takeaways:

1. Is triathlon evenly balanced between the three sports? No, not at all.

2. Does it matter?
2.a.To the FOP and elite? No. You have to be strong at all three to be either.
2.b.Does it matter to the rest of us? Yes, depending on your strong discipline. I think this was shown in my little math exercise where the top 3 all stayed the same in a "balanced" race but I went up three spots to 7th....but does that get me to FOP? No, so it doesn't matter IMHO.

What I'm taking away from this is that if I want to reach my goal, which is to be one of the guys jockeying for OA podium at local races provided a ringer like one of LB's kids doesn't show up, then I've got to shore up my biking and running. That's the only way to the FOP (local version) that I want to be.

This helps me a lot to not dwell on the imbalance, but realize it doesn't matter to where I'd like to go, so I'm cool with it.

Edited by 3mar 2015-04-03 10:11 AM
2015-04-03 10:21 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar Man this thread has taken a life of its own. Between work and training, I can barely keep up! Regardless, it has totally shifted my thinking in a good way. Here are my takeaways: 1. Is triathlon evenly balanced between the three sports? No, not at all. 2. Does it matter? 2.a.To the FOP and elite? No. You have to be strong at all three to be either. 2.b.Does it matter to the rest of us? Yes, depending on your strong discipline. I think this was shown in my little math exercise where the top 3 all stayed the same in a "balanced" race but I went up three spots to 7th....but does that get me to FOP? No, so it doesn't matter IMHO. What I'm taking away from this is that if I want to reach my goal, which is to be one of the guys jockeying for OA podium at local races provided a ringer like one of LB's kids doesn't show up, then I've got to shore up my biking and running. That's the only way to the FOP (local version) that I want to be. This helps me a lot to not dwell on the imbalance, but realize it doesn't matter to where I'd like to go, so I'm cool with it.

Provided the injury bug or something stupid doesn't get you, I bet you reach your goal.  You have SO MUCH room for improvement on top of an already decent swim and you're already pushing the front guys in your local races.  Good luck and have fun!

2015-04-03 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awesome! Is she swimming today?

400IM and 50 free, so I don't know.
2015-04-03 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

This thread reminded of a couple of things I first learned or heard (probably from this site) about triathlons.

1. A race is never won in the swim

and

2. you ride for show, but you run for dough

2015-04-03 11:45 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

This thread reminded of a couple of things I first learned or heard (probably from this site) about triathlons.

and

That's how triathlon has changed.....sometimes, at the top end, a triathlon IS won in the swim.  When that phrase was coined, back in the 80's, there were very few people who could call themselves good at all three events......not anymore.  If you want to win you have to be.....and sometimes the swim is the difference in a Sprint or Oly.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-03 11:46 AM

2015-04-03 11:46 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jford2309

and

That's how triathlon has changed.....sometimes, at the top end, a triathlon IS won in the swim.  When that phrase was coined, back in the 80's, there were very few people who could call themselves good at all three events......not anymore.  If you want to win you have to be.....and sometimes the swim is the difference.

I'd say you can "win" a triathlon in any event.... as long as you can back up your best event with a strong showing in both of the others.

2015-04-03 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North

In a 10 lane competition pool outside lanes are marked 0 and 9. That way the traditional seeding appears to be the same as an 8 lane pool... 1st in lane 4, 2nd in 5 and so on.

At Masters worlds it was the same thing. I raced the 800 from lane zero.

Our Jr Women will have a great 4x100 Free Relay come Jr Worlds in Singapore.
2015-04-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

NC

In a 10 lane competition pool outside lanes are marked 0 and 9. That way the traditional seeding appears to be the same as an 8 lane pool... 1st in lane 4, 2nd in 5 and so on.

At Masters worlds it was the same thing. I raced the 800 from lane zero.

Our Jr Women will have a great 4x100 Free Relay come Jr Worlds in Singapore.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 disciplines but not equal Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Feds Deem Pedestrians, Cyclists and Motorists Equal

Started by Tripolar
Views: 1000 Posts: 7

2010-03-19 7:29 PM kproudfoot

Stationary Trainer Rides: Equal to Road Rides?

Started by doeriga
Views: 2397 Posts: 11

2009-12-14 9:03 AM Leegoocrap

Lubes: Are they all created equal...

Started by NightOwl
Views: 894 Posts: 10

2007-07-17 2:35 PM NightOwl

Bike: Distance does not equal speed

Started by paTRIck
Views: 1065 Posts: 14

2006-06-09 12:19 PM paTRIck

riding in the rain equaling techniqual problem

Started by David14
Views: 712 Posts: 4

2005-06-14 1:48 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : March 5, 2006
author : ChiRunning
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.