General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM and Bad Weather Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-04 12:47 PM

Subject: HIM and Bad Weather
HIM Florida 70.3 is a week away and as of now its showing 60% rain on Sat and 80% on Race Day. PRAYING RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!!!"

What suggestions would you offer for bike set up and what to cover on Sat or wait until Sun am race day to take bike? Also what to do differently on race day if raining?

If it gets back (lightning) do they get you off bike/run course?

2015-04-04 12:54 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: HIM and Bad Weather

If it's raining, avoid the painted lines on the road as they can be really slick.  Also, you never know what's under a puddle, it might be a deep pothole!  As for covering things on your bike the day before, I never bother.  Lots of people will cover their saddle but you are going to come out of the swim all wet anyway...

2015-04-04 3:15 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm not worried about my saddle getting wet either - but I do care about the drive train.  I cover that up the day before, and if not I would dry and lubricate the chain in the morning.

2015-04-04 10:37 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Never thought to lube the drive train day of, but that's a great idea if it's raining.  I don't cover anything, regardless of weather (although I might try to tuck my socks somewhere they are a little more dry in T2 and put my glasses out of the rain in T1, but that's about it).

Ditto what Arend said on paint - those lines are slippery as ice when wet.  A bit more caution on corners, too.  Taking corners hard in the rain is fine, until it's not.

Clear eye glasses are both helpful and a pain in the a$$.  They can save your vision, as raindrops pelting your cornea are painful - but seeing well through them in a good rain is hard/annoying.  Pick your poison, I suppose, but I like to have my clear/amber lenses in foul weather (amber is nice, as it increases contrast on grey days - like skiing).

Swim and run, not much different for me.  My feet are soaked with sweat by half way through the run anyway, so no difference for me there.  If you don't wear socks on the run, just be sure your skin can handle that long a time being wet (I use socks when going longer than an Oly, but that's me).

Hope you get great weather and enjoy it no matter what!

Matt

2015-04-05 11:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I did my first HIM (non IM branded) last June and we had terrible weather.

Had been raining all night. Race was delayed 1 hour for lightening. Huge thunderstorm cell came through at the original start time and dumped on us. Was overcast and windy all day, but no heavy rain.

I used some old clear safety glasses, which were invaluable on the bike.

Expect that transition (in the grass at my event with mud everywhere) could be a mess. Bring a plastic bag with an dry towel to get your feet as dry as possible and keep your running shoes and 2nd pair of sock dry)-if they let you. I did wear socks and they were soaked after 10 miles on the bike. It was nice to change into dry ones, but the run was also interesting.

It had rained so much that we had little 2-4" deep rivers running through the run course. No chance of keeping your feet dry!

If you can brave the elements, you should do fine. Many people decided not to show up cause of the weather, but I suspect you won't see as much of that on a branded HIM.

Good luck!

Edited by scottficek 2015-04-05 11:12 PM
2015-04-06 7:41 AM

User image

Exton, PA
5 years ago in my 2nd HIM it was raining for the first half of the bike coarse. I was 15 minutes into the bike coming around a slight bend at 27mph when the whole bike gently slid right to the edge of the road an POOF off I went! Lucky for me I landed on my head, I was lucky it was grass were I landed. Bloody lip and a quick check from Medical and I was back on, but it could have been much worse. After the event I realized I had a crack right down the center of my helmet.

My advise in the rain is when you think your at a safe speed going into a corner, slow down a little more.

2015-04-06 7:45 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Just remember, the rain will bother some of your competition and ruin their day. Don't be one of those guys. Rain makes YOU stronger.

2015-04-06 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rain only really effects the bike if its and if it warm then it only really effects the turns. Be careful in the turn and its ok . Running in the rain is always good with me. I ran Rev3 Knoxville 1/2 a few years back when its was 52 and raining the whole day. the bike was a suck fest and many people dropped out of the race because they where to cold. But the run was was a dream from me because its what I like to run in. (other than going over the bridges that where 6 inches under water.
2015-04-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Pro

A couple of years ago at Branson 70.3 there came a gully washer.  I had made it off the bike, but we ran in 6-10 inches of water in some places.......most fun I ever had in a triathlon.

2015-04-06 12:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Left Brain

A couple of years ago at Branson 70.3 there came a gully washer.  I had made it off the bike, but we ran in 6-10 inches of water in some places.......most fun I ever had in a triathlon.

I ran that race!  It was the craziest rain I had ever seen while racing, luckily I was off the bike when it hit. I remember it being ankle deep in some parts.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you try and cover. everything gets wet.

2015-04-06 1:41 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

I ran that race!  It was the craziest rain I had ever seen while racing, luckily I was off the bike when it hit. I remember it being ankle deep in some parts.

I hadn't been on the run course for 10 minutes when it hit.....the second time I went through the campground the water was up to my shins across the gravel road right before you got there.  There was some guy running close to me who was barefoot.....I thought it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen.....there was no way to know what your feet were going to land on.

2015-04-06 1:57 PM

User image

I think it's too early to be sure of the weather in Haines City. We're on the edge of the rainy season in Florida and the weather is very hard to predict. Also, Haines City is the middle of nowhere so I have no faith in the forecast specifics to be honest.

Which is to say ... don't panic. That being said. I'm also checking the weather to see how it shapes up over the next few days. But I think we'll have a better idea by Wednesday or Thursday.

When the forecast is for rain I use big ziplock bags to keep my stuff dry in transition. Even if they get wet almost immediately I like to start the run with dry shoes.

Amy
2015-04-06 2:04 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

In addition to painted lines on the road, be very careful around anything metal (manhole covers, rr tracks, etc) as they get extremely slippery as well.

2015-04-06 2:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Reminds me of Redman the year transition flooded and the bike course flooded (mandatory dismount and walking around the river of a road). You just had to roll with it and have fun. The red Oklahoma dirt made everything a dark, deep red. None of those clothes were ever the same.

As for advice: stay away from painted lines on the road, SLOW DOWN on turns on the bike, stay in control, etc. Extra body glide on the feet because as others have said, you'll probably be running through ankle-deep rivers, so you'll be soaked and blister possibility increases. Expect the race to be called off at some point if it gets bad - this is a RD decision and varies race to race. Typically it's lightning and/or hail that makes the call. Or what's popping up on radar near by. Have a dry change of clothes on stand-by for afterwards. 

2015-04-06 2:34 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

I have found that in conditions where I'm going to get wet anyway, I'd just as well get as wet as I can as soon as I can......then it's off my mind.   In fact, I think that convers most of life's circumstances.

2015-04-06 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I have found that in conditions where I'm going to get wet anyway, I'd just as well get as wet as I can as soon as I can......then it's off my mind.   In fact, I think that convers most of life's circumstances.

Good thing the races start with a swim. 

Matt

2015-04-06 10:22 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
If your cold in the am get in your wet suit early it will keep you warm. Also wrap all your bike stuff in one garbage bag to keep it a little dry and wrP your running shoes in another plastic garbage bags just in case the weather breaks before the runs starts. If I remeber Florida right rain comes and goes all the time. But over all if its above 70 you are in for a good time let everyone about it enjoy the day
2015-04-06 10:43 PM

User image

Pro

I wiped my glasses with Rain-x for a rainy race once.  It helped a bit.  (I wear prescription glasses- so, kinda' need to wear them)

I don't mind running in the rain, but when I do, I always like to wear a running/baseball style cap.  Keeps most of the rain off my glasses/face.

Not sure what the temps will be for you- but stay warm.  

2015-04-07 11:53 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I hadn't been on the run course for 10 minutes when it hit.....the second time I went through the campground the water was up to my shins across the gravel road right before you got there.  There was some guy running close to me who was barefoot.....I thought it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen.....there was no way to know what your feet were going to land on.

I also remember battling cramps on that run and a guy gave me tums to help with cramping, after that  I have always carried some with me. Was that you?

2015-04-07 11:56 AM

User image

Pro

I also remember battling cramps on that run and a guy gave me tums to help with cramping, after that  I have always carried some with me. Was that you?

Nah....never heard of tums for cramps, or I would have eaten 3 rolls on that last little hill they threw in on the bike.

2015-04-07 12:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Nah....never heard of tums for cramps, or I would have eaten 3 rolls on that last little hill they threw in on the bike.

Yeah I have no idea if they helped, but in my head they did!  And yeah, that last little hill made me say "seriously?"  Cruel joke at the end. I remember hitting 51 mph on my bike on one of those downhills!  Very scary!

2015-04-07 12:09 PM

User image

Pro

Yeah I have no idea if they helped, but in my head they did!  And yeah, that last little hill made me say "seriously?"  Cruel joke at the end. I remember hitting 51 mph on my bike on one of those downhills!  Very scary!

My legs completely locked up at the top of that hill and I coasted down into transition without being able to pedal.  They basically caught me at transition when I couldn't get out of my pedals.  Once I got off that bike I never had a single problem on the entire run......it was weird.

2015-04-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by dmiller5

Just remember, the rain will bother some of your competition and ruin their day. Don't be one of those guys. Rain makes YOU stronger.

I honestly pray for rain on any race day. I thins the field as you get a slice of no shows due to the weather. Loads of riders are barely there with handling as it is and so being able to corner and descend in the rain is a real blessing. Plus it is virtually impossible to overheat.

You can get rain specific lube for your drive train which is well worth it. A visor helps more than glasses in my opinion.

2015-04-07 3:09 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Forget about the rain, go away lightning!  I'd actually be more worried if the sun comes out as typically does before Sea-breeze related action occurs later in the afternoon.  Regardless of the weather the air is going to be juicy this week and it the humidity will help lead to a death march of a run!

This is why I only do Sprints in the spring & summer in FL!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM and Bad Weather Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Racing in Bad Weather (Disclaimer-CA bad wx....)

Started by AV842
Views: 755 Posts: 8

2012-03-17 3:49 PM beebs

If possible bad weather for Sprint, change anything?

Started by joeyg
Views: 1093 Posts: 7

2009-05-14 11:49 AM TriMyBest

Races and bad weather

Started by strostertag
Views: 734 Posts: 4

2008-06-27 10:17 AM crowny2

Why I Love Training in Bad Weather Pages: 1 2

Started by cjfleischer
Views: 1555 Posts: 37

2007-09-21 12:58 AM Hawkeye

Bike for winter/bad weather...what type?

Started by KathyG
Views: 1068 Posts: 14

2006-08-26 11:35 PM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 28, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are grains really all that bad for us? To listen to some athletes talk, you'd think grain foods are the dieter's demon. Often demoted to being “just carbs,” whole grains are more than that.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : November 29, 2011
author : Pnlop
First race went better than expected!

date : October 31, 2011
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish
date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.

date : May 27, 2011
author : sdswriter
comments : 15
A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business
date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.