Other Resources My Cup of Joe » New York for 2 days - what would you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-06 11:31 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: New York for 2 days - what would you do?

I'll be in New York for two days in mid-June, and my group is trying to decide what to do in such a short amount of time. The only sure thing is the 9/11 Memorial Museum; we purchased tickets for that already. We are tossing around ideas like a Yankees game and a Broadway show, but haven't nailed anything else down yet.

Ages in the group will be 14, 21, 21, 28, 29, 36, 38, 55 and 56.
(having a 14-year-old limits us a little bit, for example you have to be 16 to go to a Jimmy Fallon taping)...

What would you do with this type of group?

2015-04-06 1:31 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: New York for 2 days - what would you do?

Maybe it's cliché but the museums and central park.  The natural history museum, museum or art, and Guggenheim are all "sort of" clumped together.

2015-04-06 1:51 PM

User image

I would see a show. 

2015-04-06 2:12 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

When my wife went, she booked a tour which included a guided bus trip around the city and some boat ride.  She went with a friend who was born and raised in NY (outside of the city).  Her friend said that she learned more about NYC on that one day trip than she'd learned her whole life.

2015-04-06 3:35 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Lived there for 3 years, and here's what I typically would do when family visited:

- Top of the Rock (much less crowded, quicker, and arguably a better view than Empire State Building)
- South Street Seaport (street vendors, nice cafes, on the water)
- Grey Line boat tour of Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (you don't necessarily have to get off the boat. It's a great way to see the Statue of Liberty up close, since it's tiny from Battery Park)
- Times Square (it's just such a spectacle. Lots of touristy shops, and photo opps. My family were fascinated, especially at night)

Regarding the choice between a Yankees game and a Broadway show, I would suggest a Yankees game.
In my opinion, there's nothing special about Broadway, it's the same as a performance in any other city, and it might struggle to keep the interest of all your group.
Also, sitting outside on a nice summer's evening trumps being cooped up in a theatre 100% of the time.
You could probably get Stubhub tickets to a Yankees game for ~$10/person.

From an athletic perspective, if you have time, run on the outer path at Central Park (6 mile loop), or around the reservoir (1.5 mile loop). Definitely my favourite thing to do in the city.

2015-04-06 3:57 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Just going over my last trip there in my memory banks.  We did the ferry as well got a bit closer to the statue of liberty.  I need to get out there one day.

Also, I'm a bit of a foodie, so I try as many fun things to eat as I can.  China Town, some pizza places, a couple delis for bagels and a pastrami sandwich, etc.

We did a couple Broadway shows to say we did it, but honestly, not that special.  The same show here in Vegas or San Fran is probably better and the venue is a bit nicer.

2015-04-07 6:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've been to New York on Business 50 times in the last seven years.

My favorite things to do are; walk the high line, people watch in Central Park, hire a bike and cycle up and down the bike path on the West Side - have an early evening drink The Standard Hotel (meatpacking district) which has an amazing roof garden to see the sunset from (and the elevator is great fun too) but leave early enough before the 'too cool for school' crowd arrive.

Strange actually - I've never been able to go to the 9/11 memorial.  We had offices in one of the towers and our main office is on Wall St (you could say our main office IS Wall St) and it was a momentous moment in my life but the thought of going upsets me too much.  I often stay at a hotel nearby and even overlooking the memorial and that's about as close as I can be.  Just makes me so sad.   

Edited by Dan-L 2015-04-07 6:40 AM
2015-04-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

- South Street Seaport (street vendors, nice cafes, on the water)
- Grey Line boat tour of Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (you don't necessarily have to get off the boat. It's a great way to see the Statue of Liberty up close, since it's tiny from Battery Park)
- Times Square (it's just such a spectacle. Lots of touristy shops, and photo opps. My family were fascinated, especially at night)

From an athletic perspective, if you have time, run on the outer path at Central Park (6 mile loop), or around the reservoir (1.5 mile loop). Definitely my favourite thing to do in the city.

These are great ideas.  I would still do a show over Yankees but that's more individual preference.    Worst case twofor tickets that day.  The new park doesn't hold the same interest for me so it would be like seeing any team in any city.

2015-04-07 12:05 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I would want to make sure I ran in Central Park and saw the Statue of Liberty. Not the most exciting things to do, but that is something for me.

2015-04-07 12:44 PM

User image

New user
sorry, i can't resist. something in here has to be helpful, amiright?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmPBPWHJu4
2015-04-07 12:54 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

We used the Hop on/Hop off bus system to see what we wanted and get dropped where we wanted.  Statue of Liberty up close on the island is very cool.  There is way too much to see in the 3 days we were there.  We walked a lot to see things and take pictures.

2015-04-07 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Grew up in Manhattan and go back every chance I get..

The only thing I'll suggest that I hadn't seen mentionted already is the twilight Circle Line cruise around the lower half of the island..

Have a good time.

Edited by alltom1 2015-04-07 2:56 PM
2015-04-07 4:52 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Seattle

I think Central Park is great but a New Yorker pointed out to me that it's intention is more as a city-dwellers escape into nature while I feel the highline is more of a beautiful juxtaposition.  Try going just after you visit Times Square for more effect. It is one of my favorite places in the world and I think all of the ages would enjoy it.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge (if everyone in group is able, or take subway) down into the Brooklyn Bridge Park (which is beautiful) and then taking the E. River Ferry to Williamsberg is awesome. Williamsberg has amazing music, food etc. Really anything you would want. Plus you can look back across the water for a great perspective of Manhattan. 

2015-04-07 5:43 PM

User image

New user
2015-04-08 10:29 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Visit Alex Grey's Museum!! Don't miss this, its mind blowing!!! Safe Travels Kid
2015-04-08 10:39 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by alltom1 Grew up in Manhattan and go back every chance I get.. The only thing I'll suggest that I hadn't seen mentionted already is the twilight Circle Line cruise around the lower half of the island.. Have a good time.

In that vein - i did the skyline tour - it went across to Brooklyn so you could get skyline shots.  It wasn't a long tour so it didn't take up the whole day and was fun. See many of the highlights and getting to go across the bridge was fun. 

2015-04-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: #5106303

User image

New user
Or Take a horse drawn carriage ride around the park. The Mayor is trying to get rid of them, so they may not be here next time you visit.
2015-04-09 1:34 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Coney Island.

2015-04-10 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
If you have to choose between boat ride and bus ride, I'd suggest the boat. Unless you're REALLY interested in NYC history, the boat ride, weather permitting is prettier and more fun. You'll see most of the same monuments anyway.

Yankee Stadium is really fun. Citi Field, where the Mets play, isn't bad either, if you don't care which team you see. Both are easy to get to by train and I think Citi has better concessions.

Go have lunch at an iconic NYC Deli like Ben's or Katz'. Or go to a dim sum in Chinatown. Both are easy even with a big group.

Will you be there in a weekend? Because, you know...

There are usually lots of fun races in mid-June. And they most start pretty early. You could go do a 5-k or something and be back to the hotel before the rest of the gang finishes breakfast.
2015-04-10 4:07 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Not over a weekend, it will be Tuesday morning through Thursday morning. Strange timing I know. 

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations - I am researching them as we speak! Love all of the ideas!

2015-04-14 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The Museum of Natural History and the Intrepid Air and Space museum (on a decommissioned aircraft carrier) are both great, especially for a mixed-age group.

2015-04-29 2:12 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
My wife and I spent three days of our honeymoon in the big apple, and most of the things we did, have been said already.... but I'll recap, because what we did was mostly cheap, fun, and would interest a large group of varrying ages.

We stayed in Times Square, its a circus, but its fun, and safe.
We walked onto the Staten Island Ferry (free) and took it across and just rode it right back, you see the skyline, you see Miss Liberty. Check check
We went to 'Wicked' it was my wifes first real theater experience and it blew her away.
We took the subway to Brooklyn, had breakfast in a greasy spoon and walked back across the brooklyn bridge.
We went up the Empire State building at night, seeing the city all light up was awesome.
We walked and walked and walked and walked and walked.....our feet were sore at the end of the day but it was so great.

I want to go back and see the mueseums and I will, but imho, for a large group with limted time I think they would take too long.

Have a great trip.

Edited by justinfss 2015-04-29 2:13 AM
2015-04-29 5:11 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Pro

Great suggestions above.  But if you're on this forum, then you probably swim/bike/run a lot.  My favorite thing to do when I go to the city, is to get up before the rest of your family and run Central Park.  Get out there on a nice weekend morning and there are throngs of runners doing the loop (a little over 6mi as I recall).  It's just fun.  Great scenery of the skyline and the park.  

2015-05-01 11:31 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by morey000

Great suggestions above.  But if you're on this forum, then you probably swim/bike/run a lot.  My favorite thing to do when I go to the city, is to get up before the rest of your family and run Central Park.  Get out there on a nice weekend morning and there are throngs of runners doing the loop (a little over 6mi as I recall).  It's just fun.  Great scenery of the skyline and the park.  

For sure a good call, I just ran around the city, out to the UN buildings, but I wish I had done the central park thing.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » New York for 2 days - what would you do? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Arrive in New York on Superbowl Sunday.

Started by Cando
Views: 894 Posts: 10

2008-01-18 8:32 AM Cando

New York to Paris

Started by De Cracker
Views: 603 Posts: 2

2007-04-26 8:34 AM jcdenton2000

New York Marathon

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 672 Posts: 9

2006-11-05 7:58 PM shawn barr

NEW YORK CITY here I Come!!!!!!! Pages: 1 2

Started by kgart
Views: 1492 Posts: 39

2006-06-07 9:07 PM jpcan

Skiing in New York

Started by cjy2d
Views: 800 Posts: 6

2004-11-11 2:21 PM cjy2d
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.