General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Living proof, old dog, new tricks, flip turns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-08 11:48 AM

Subject: Living proof, old dog, new tricks, flip turns
So, not that anyone cares, but I'm pretty proud of my results.

I've been mixing in flip turns mainly on my non "main sets" (not that I'm entirely competent in using that lingo, but I think I understand it enough).
To say that I've had mixed results would be an understatement.

However, there's definite improvement. I'm swimming generally about 3 days a week. I've really only been "at it" since that last thread came out. But, definitely improving. Last night, I had 2 that I would say were "fair-ish" and even mixed a few in when I was pushing it in terms of my training plan...part of that "main set", I suppose. I probably tried them on about 35% of my turns. None were disasters. Way up from the 10-15% I was mixing them in, and half those would qualify as disasters.

The biggest improvement comes from speed going into the wall. When I have it and I'm close enough to the wall, I'm not sinking and I'm coming back up at a speed that's reasonably close to the stroke and can get right back into it. I do find that I'm sort of bobbing my head up, almost like in a breaststroke motion and maybe even sorta breaststroking with my arms to get a little extra speed and get the distance to the wall right. I just need some more practice and confidence at using the markers/lines/Ts,/crosses and such to find the sweet spot so I can 'stroke' into it.

But, just definite improvement. It's really cool to see improvement through effort. I'm hoping that since this is the first time I've actually "worked" in the pool consistently that I'll see improvement in the swim time as a whole. In the past, I've relied on swimming a few dozen laps at the club pool 2-3 times and maybe a rare OWS opportunity or paying to go to an indoor community fitness center pool. It's really encouraging to put effort into something and see results. I think my experience in losing massive quantities of weight has helped me not be so impatient with things and recognize that you can't do anything overnight. Hope that shows in the increased swimming, bike time, and running distances over what I've typically done.

I am now impatient for the actual events!

Edited by jhaack39 2015-04-08 11:51 AM

2015-04-09 3:14 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Living proof, old dog, new tricks, flip turns
Congrats! Learning a new skill (especially as an adult) is never easy so good job on your improvement!

It's those kind of small victories that help keep you motivated.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Living proof, old dog, new tricks, flip turns Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

flip turns or open turns?? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by ironswimming
Views: 8650 Posts: 116

2015-03-26 10:25 AM dmiller5

somebody teach me flip turns :(

Started by aliengin
Views: 1502 Posts: 10

2005-01-12 12:06 PM kimj81

Flip turn help please

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 2056 Posts: 21

2005-01-05 5:50 PM Angie

Flip Turn video clip?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1880 Posts: 16

2004-12-19 12:26 PM trilover

Flip Turns Pages: 1 2

Started by azwaterbaby
Views: 4167 Posts: 33

2009-07-20 5:39 PM Bioteknik
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.

date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
comments : 0
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.