General Discussion Triathlon Talk » May be moving to NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-08 12:15 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: May be moving to NC
We live in Houston and a move to NC may be in our future, my husband works for Eaton in Raleigh.
He doesn't go to the office daily so we don't have to be super close.
If you were going to buy in NC as a triathlete, where would you buy? We would love to have a safe place to ride, not too far from a lake we could swim or paddle board in would be a huge plus.

Thanks!

2015-04-08 1:55 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

Subject: RE: May be moving to NC
How far outside of Raleigh are you willing to be? Where in Raleigh is the office?
2015-04-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by KeriKadi

We live in Houston and a move to NC may be in our future, my husband works for Eaton in Raleigh.
If you were going to buy in NC as a triathlete, where would you buy? We would love to have a safe place to ride, not too far from a lake we could swim or paddle board in would be a huge plus.

Thanks!

Define "super close". Louiskie lives in/around the Cary area, which is nice and has lakes galore. The area is very nice and you see tons of cyclists out and about. I'm not sure how close to Raleigh he is, but it can't be further than 20 mins away. There are tons of races, clubs, and other events in the area. Maybe he can chime in.

I live in Whispering Pines, which is an hour away from Raleigh. Traffic consists primarily of traffic circles headed to Pinehurst, Southern Pines, or Aberdeen and the tri/cycling scene is great. The locals are very nice to cyclists and there are tons of well traveled and not so well traveled routes. We also have TONS of lakes that are used quite a bit by triathletes. WhiPi is about 45 mins from Bragg and there's a whole 'nother tri/cycling scene there, too.

Edited by d00d 2015-04-08 2:02 PM
2015-04-08 5:04 PM
in reply to: #5106751

User image

I'm in North Raleigh. Anywhere north of 540 is pretty well traveled by cyclists. I bike from home around Falls Lake quite often. I commute via bike sometimes to North Durham.

There a few tri shops around that host workouts, very friendly people. Raleigh has great greenway systems as well. Getting a long run in is no problem!
2015-04-08 9:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Houston
We need to be within 45 minutes of RDU airport as he flies a lot for travel.
We hear Cary is pricey. We need a 5 bedroom so it's important the are is price friendly.
Are there lakes ya'll swim in?
There are only 2 very small lakes in Houston we are safe to swim in and they are both an hour away.

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by d00d

Thanks!

Define "super close". Louiskie lives in/around the Cary area, which is nice and has lakes galore. The area is very nice and you see tons of cyclists out and about. I'm not sure how close to Raleigh he is, but it can't be further than 20 mins away. There are tons of races, clubs, and other events in the area. Maybe he can chime in.

I live in Whispering Pines, which is an hour away from Raleigh. Traffic consists primarily of traffic circles headed to Pinehurst, Southern Pines, or Aberdeen and the tri/cycling scene is great. The locals are very nice to cyclists and there are tons of well traveled and not so well traveled routes. We also have TONS of lakes that are used quite a bit by triathletes. WhiPi is about 45 mins from Bragg and there's a whole 'nother tri/cycling scene there, too.

Edited by KeriKadi 2015-04-08 9:26 PM
2015-04-09 7:48 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

We need to be within 45 minutes of RDU airport as he flies a lot for travel.
We hear Cary is pricey. We need a 5 bedroom so it's important the are is price friendly.
Are there lakes ya'll swim in?
There are only 2 very small lakes in Houston we are safe to swim in and they are both an hour away.

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by d00d

Thanks!

You may want to check out Fuquay Varina, or maybe Holly Springs. A colleague lives in Fuquay and he loves it, says housing is affordable, and swimmable lakes (Jordan Lake) are 15-20 mins away. When we moved to NC, my family and I almost chose Fuquay over Whi Pi.

WhiPi is about an hour from RDU. We have a bunch of lakes in the area, some for swimming, some for boating, and they're safe and used quite frequently. Housing prices can vary, but there are at least two new neighborhoods being built and some of the houses prob meet your criteria.

Good luck finding a place to live!

2015-04-12 8:45 PM

User image

45 min from RDU will give you a lot of options. As for lakes, just check the map. Lake Jordan and Falls lake have plenty of swim groups. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding what you are looking for.
2015-04-14 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Very nostalgic. I posted this very question on this very forum about 5 years ago. Louiskie posted back a reply. Now, 5 years later we're training buddies and I'm close friends with a number of others on this NC forum.

Anyway, that doesn't help you (outside of ensuring that there is thriving community here). You really can't go wrong here. Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, North Raleigh, Chapel Hill. They're all going to be accessible to Jordan Lake, Harris Lake, and Falls Lake as well as lots of bike groups, etc. We settled on Apex because it's close to RTP where I work and has a nice little downtown. There is no hands down winner though. Feel free to PM me if you want specific info.
2015-04-16 9:56 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
What smoom said :-) The roads are pretty easy and extensive here so it is hard to be further than 45 mins from the airport and not be way out in the country! And traffic isn't really much of an issue here. Where I live (not necessarily condoning it) I am about a 8 min drive from Jordan Lake (huge lake) and 15 mins from a really good OWS spot. 12 mins from the airport. I'm really 12 mins from everything. As d00d said, where I live is about 20-30 mins from Raleigh proper and I am about as far West in Cary as you can get (i.e., furthest point from Raleigh). Apex is nice (smoom and fgump both live there) with very nice training options. Don't know much about Raleigh but others have given their thoughts. Its a very tri-friendly area. I do think Holly Springs is less expensive than Cary, generally...I would say you get an extra bedroom for your money (i.e., a 4 BR in Holly springs costs what a 3BR costs in Cary...roughly). Feel free to ping me too if you have questions. Do you have school-age kids? That is another consideration as well...
2015-04-18 10:05 AM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

There are scads of triathletes in the Raleigh, Durham - Chapel Hill area.  As for cycling, I recommend the Apex-Holly Springs area.  I did an easy 40 mile solo ride in this area yesterday and met at least 5-6 other cyclists.  There are strongly supported cycling groups in the area as well.  The Holly Springs-Apex area, with the newly completed leg of I-540 has fast access to the airport.  It's also fairly close to Jordan lake for open water swims.

The R-D-CH area and nearby locale is full of annual triathlon events from sprints up thru full IM races.  From the triathlon support aspect, you would not be disappointed with the move to here. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » May be moving to NC Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NC move

Started by CDK
Views: 2027 Posts: 19

2012-11-05 8:31 AM fgump

Possibly Moving to NC

Started by d00d
Views: 1699 Posts: 11

2011-11-10 8:35 AM d00d

Favorite NC Triathlon

Started by sunburnin
Views: 982 Posts: 10

2006-10-17 8:48 PM love2tri

Charlotte, NC Triathletes

Started by chaz
Views: 4693 Posts: 12

2006-09-11 9:27 AM chaz

Tri in NC

Started by lexington476
Views: 1470 Posts: 9

2005-10-28 10:57 PM chris hughes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.