General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cypress TX Lap Swimming Facilities Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-08 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Cypress TX Lap Swimming Facilities
Can anyone tell me where I can go in Cypress TX to do an hour or less lap swim that doesn't cost $20-25? It seems like the gyms here want to charge a daily access fee for all of the facility vs just the pool.

Fairfield has a $5 fee, but a resident must sign me in and be willing to stay at the pool while I complete my workout.

I am only visiting, but I'm having a hard time justifying $60-75 a week to swim 3 times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2015-04-08 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Northwest
Subject: RE: Cypress TX Lap Swimming Facilities
Perhaps you can go to one of the fitness facilities and ask for a 1-week pass or a trial membership. They don't have to know that you aren't permanently relocating here...

Edited by chicograds 2015-04-08 2:56 PM
2015-04-08 10:44 PM
in reply to: chicograds

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chicograds

Perhaps you can go to one of the fitness facilities and ask for a 1-week pass or a trial membership. They don't have to know that you aren't permanently relocating here...

Thanks. So do all Cypress triathletes belong to gyms here?
2015-04-09 4:28 PM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

If you are a member of masters swimming group, you might check with a local masters group.  A YMCA might be another option - even better if you are a Y member back home.

2015-04-09 8:42 PM

User image

New user
Northwest
Most athletes belong to a gym or swim specific facility. You could also look into Fleet Swimming, https://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?team=gumsfmsfor master's swim options in the Cypress area. We have a local coaching group, http://sbrcoaches.com/that host open water swims on the weekends for a fee in a local neighborhood.
2015-04-11 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'm back in Austin now (where the pool and yoga are FREE). I guess I'm a little spoiled.

When I worked in Tallahassee FL for the last year, I bought a pool card at a very nice aquatics center and each visit cost $3.25 for the day. So if I wanted to, I could do a swim in the morning and one in the evening for one fee. When I lived near College Station, TX, the Aquatics Center was a similar price with a card. When I visited upstate New York over Christmas, the Y was free for a week, whether you were a member or not, one time a year.

That's why I was shocked to hear that for 3 swims in a week at Cypress, an out of town visitor would have to pay the equivalent of a monthly membership anywhere else.

Cheers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cypress TX Lap Swimming Facilities Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NW Houston (Cypress) Rides Runs and Swims

Started by jackiep
Views: 705 Posts: 3

2013-03-22 2:14 PM jackiep

League City, TX swim coach needed

Started by starburst89732
Views: 603 Posts: 1

2012-03-17 2:36 PM starburst89732

new in cypress tx

Started by horsedoc
Views: 1464 Posts: 10

2010-05-26 2:25 PM JLew

Tri Group in Fairfield or (Cypress, TX)

Started by Tri_n_2_b_fast
Views: 4907 Posts: 22

2009-05-20 2:11 PM Tri_n_2_b_fast

Looking for a good swimming coach in Austin, TX

Started by LonghornBuckeye
Views: 967 Posts: 5

2008-03-31 2:28 PM markmcd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.
date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
comments : 1
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.

date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.